Marine Velvet wiped out my tank what next?

kboogie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately, I had a bout of marine velvet and it wiped out my tank.
Below are the fish I lost:
  • Flame Hawkfish
  • Red Sea Purple Tang
  • Squareback Anthias harem
  • Red Sea Regal Angel
  • Asfur Angel
  • Clown Trigger
  • Blue Face Angel
  • Austrailian Harlequin Tusk
  • Majestic Angel
  • Powder Blue Tang
  • Fox Face Lo
I'm going to do a 90-day fallow period, is that long enough?

bluemon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
  • Flame Hawkfish
  • Red Sea Purple Tang
  • Red Sea Regal Angel
  • Asfur Angel
  • Clown Trigger
  • Blue Face Angel
  • Majestic Angel
  • Powder Blue Tang
  • Fox Face Lo
Oof sorry about all the fish.

90 is a bit overkill, 60 is usually the most people suggest.

But more doesn't hurt I guess.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
  • Flame Hawkfish
  • Red Sea Purple Tang
  • Red Sea Regal Angel
  • Asfur Angel
  • Clown Trigger
  • Blue Face Angel
  • Majestic Angel
  • Powder Blue Tang
  • Fox Face Lo
45-60 days fallow is often sufficient as velvet is a flagellate and require a host fish to reproduce.
Velvet on fish is often caused by a dinoflagellate parasite known as Amyloodinium ocellatum and often triggered by poor or no acclimation which will certainly place any fish at risk of bacterial, parasitical and viral issues. It takes several days for this and other conditions to be noticed/seen and has already progressed.
Velvet has a life cycle similar to that of ich protozoan as they go through various life stages which some become resistant to treatments. You can add Ruby Rally pro to tank to assure they are addressed and is reef safe for any inverts or coral in tank - If any are in the tank.

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
  • Flame Hawkfish
  • Red Sea Purple Tang
  • Red Sea Regal Angel
  • Asfur Angel
  • Clown Trigger
  • Blue Face Angel
  • Majestic Angel
  • Powder Blue Tang
  • Fox Face Lo

Two or three things come to mind.

First - try and find root cause as to how you introduced it. Was it always in the display and the fish healthy enough to keep it at bay? Did you introduce a fish recently? If so, source? That is a lot of fish lost and I'm not sure if you have more that made it through. So while you go through the fallow period I'd do my best to understand the chain of events that lead to the outbreak.

Second - do you quarantine? If so, what are your procedures? Sounds like a good time to review the processes you used to prevent it from happening again. If you are purchasing through a vendor who quarantined I would see if they list what they do and maybe vet them.

Third - and most importantly - sorry about the losses. My main point I am trying to relay is to really assess how it could have been introduced for further prevention. Fallow period is a good time to do the legwork to see if you can find root cause.

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
  • Flame Hawkfish
  • Red Sea Purple Tang
  • Red Sea Regal Angel
  • Asfur Angel
  • Clown Trigger
  • Blue Face Angel
  • Majestic Angel
  • Powder Blue Tang
  • Fox Face Lo

If you've lost everything, I would do a complete breakdown, sanitize and rebuild.

OP
OP
K

kboogie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
45-60 days fallow is often sufficient as velvet is a flagellate and require a host fish to reproduce.
Velvet on fish is often caused by a dinoflagellate parasite known as Amyloodinium ocellatum and often triggered by poor or no acclimation which will certainly place any fish at risk of bacterial, parasitical and viral issues. It takes several days for this and other conditions to be noticed/seen and has already progressed.
Velvet has a life cycle similar to that of ich protozoan as they go through various life stages which some become resistant to treatments. You can add Ruby Rally pro to tank to assure they are addressed and is reef safe for any inverts or coral in tank - If any are in the tank.
Thank you. Good info.

OP
OP
K

kboogie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Two or three things come to mind.

First - try and find root cause as to how you introduced it. Was it always in the display and the fish healthy enough to keep it at bay? Did you introduce a fish recently? If so, source? That is a lot of fish lost and I'm not sure if you have more that made it through. So while you go through the fallow period I'd do my best to understand the chain of events that lead to the outbreak.

Second - do you quarantine? If so, what are your procedures? Sounds like a good time to review the processes you used to prevent it from happening again. If you are purchasing through a vendor who quarantined I would see if they list what they do and maybe vet them.

Third - and most importantly - sorry about the losses. My main point I am trying to relay is to really assess how it could have been introduced for further prevention. Fallow period is a good time to do the legwork to see if you can find root cause.
I'm fairly confident in the root cause. I didn't use my quarantine process on some fish direct from Biota because of because things going on with an existing batch of fish in quarantine.

My quarantine protocol is a 90-day process involving Hyposalinity, General Cure, Kanaplex, and Copper Safe.

I do know how to avoid this in the future. It was my mistake.

sc50964

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you intending to have corals & either a large or valuable CUC?

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm fairly confident in the root cause. I didn't use my quarantine process on some fish direct from Biota because of because things going on with an existing batch of fish in quarantine.

My quarantine protocol is a 90-day process involving Hyposalinity, General Cure, Kanaplex, and Copper Safe.

I've not ever heard of velvet coming from Biota if purchased direct. With regards to blame, there was none. Just providing some ideas so you don't have to go through this again.

Gumbies R Us

Certified Noob
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
  • Flame Hawkfish
  • Red Sea Purple Tang
  • Red Sea Regal Angel
  • Asfur Angel
  • Clown Trigger
  • Blue Face Angel
  • Majestic Angel
  • Powder Blue Tang
  • Fox Face Lo
Sorry about the losses!

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Sorry to hear - Amyloodinium/Velvet is pretty awful when it gets ramped up....

Given your 90 quarantine process, it should be a simple matter to just mirror the same time frame in your display, but really, anything over 60 days will be fine for velvet. 45 days is typically enough for it to die out.

Jay

OP
OP
K

kboogie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you intending to have corals & either a large or valuable CUC?
I run a FOWLR but I like to keep my options open so I avoid medicating the display unless the medication is something that completely dissipates and does not get absorbed by substrate or live rock.

jmichaelh7

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 50%
1   1   0
I run a FOWLR but I like to keep my options open so I avoid medicating the display unless the medication is something that completely dissipates and does not get absorbed by substrate or live rock.
Let it sit fishless for 90 days! Doesn’t hurt to guarantee it’s wiped out

jmichaelh7

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 50%
1   1   0
And sorry for your loss. This must be tragic!

Unfortunately another instance where the knowledge is not pushed in the hobby to quarantine. It should almost be required with your initial setup. I hope you bounce back 110

OP
OP
K

kboogie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've not ever heard of velvet coming from Biota if purchased direct. With regards to blame, there was none. Just providing some ideas so you don't have to go through this again.
I agree with you which is why I felt comfortable skipping my normal quarantine protocol. It was a mistake I won't make again. "Trust no one!", all first must go through quarantine regardless of source. I use my old Redsea 130D as a permanent quarantine tank. All new fish go in there and go through a version of Jay's quarantine protocol. I have a Blonde Naso who has been in quarantine since April. After completing the copper treatment phase, the Naso had a white spot I didn't like so I restarted the copper clock and kept the level at 2.5 with checks every other day with my Hanna checker. The Naso will be the first fish back after the fallow period.

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 95 76.0%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 11 8.8%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 17 13.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.6%
Back