Maritime mix master: Do you have a water mixing station?

Do you have a water mixing station?

• I currently have a water mixing station.

Votes: 133 55.2%
  • I have had a water mixing station in the past.

Votes: 5 2.1%
  • I have not had a water mixing station, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 52 21.6%
  • I have no plans to have a water mixing station.

Votes: 43 17.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 3.3%

• Total voters

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a small and simple mixing station that helps keep the parameters steady.
IMG_2801.jpeg

If I could just get the wife to take out the empties I would have it made. :cool:

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Love these barrels ... where did u get them??
The double - from a local reefer and the current giant tank - Online

The double tanks I believe came from a company called Northern tool and the large one -Roth Sugar Bush

Jeremy_d

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Having a good mixing station makes water changes a breeze. I only do water changes on my 20 gallon, 6 gallon, and 3.7 gallon tanks, my huge display hasn’t had a water change in over a year. But having 20 gallons mixed at all times for the nanos is very awesome.

Reefkeepers Archive

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maritime mix master: Do you have a water mixing station?

Many reef keepers make the trip to the local fish store (LFS) to buy pre-mixed saltwater, or they use a series of buckets or other containers that get pulled out every time it is time to mix up salt. Another option that requires space and more upfront cost is to set up a water mixing station. There are variations, but this often involves an RODI unit, a container to hold RODI water, a container to hold saltwater, a pump to mix and move water, and the plumbing to connect it all together. Of course, other options such as additional valves, filters, and automation can be added to the water station. What about your system - do you have a water mixing station? We’d love to see pictures and feel free to share any tips or experiences with your water mixing station!

PeaceRiver_WaterMixingStationB.jpeg

Photo by @Peace River; Mixing station including (2) 65g Norwesco tanks and more.

This QOTD is sponsored by: www.deltecdirectusa.com

Deltec_Logo.png

“With dozens of protein skimmers, calcium reactors, media reactors and kalkwasser stirrers in operation, Deltec USA can speak from experience and help you with all your Deltec needs. Live customer support and a large inventory of products rounds out our mission to provide the best possible Deltec experience.”
Almost have one.. no longer really functional as I switched to a no water change system. The mixing barrel probably has some spilled chemicals from testing anyway as it's built into my testing station... theoretically yeah but not really

ReefGiant

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just have a brute trash can and a BRS RODI. Some cheap wave pumps and heater from Amazon. Not very pretty but it gets the job done!

nano reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My water mixing station consists of an rodi In my laundry room with a large dog food bin type of container on wheels and a 30 dollar pump from amazon to pump water the tank! LOL I know how you men love all your gear and gadgets but wow! I am totally blown away that 50 % have this. I Not to mention I dont even get how it works either or the premise behind it! How do you not vacum your sand bed? Or do yall have saltwater roomba vacs! lol

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a diy stand that holds one brute container above the other brute container. The top is rodi and gravity drains through a valve into the bottom one for saltwater. I mix the salt with a cheap submersible pump.
If very basic but it gets the job done. After seeing everyone else’s I will not be sharing pictures of mine.

VintageReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Other - no water changes 4 years. And since I don’t have a mix station to photograph, here’s my tank

Attachments

• AFE01312-CD62-427B-B055-DA96D4253333.jpeg
    AFE01312-CD62-427B-B055-DA96D4253333.jpeg
    166.3 KB · Views: 26

Bruttall

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
50g white reservoir, black tub to mix the salt water in. Pump transfers water from storage to mix tub, gravity flows it into my tank. 5 stage BRS ro/di feeds the reservoir.

20231130_122615.jpg

twentyleagues

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My water mixing station consists of an rodi In my laundry room with a large dog food bin type of container on wheels and a 30 dollar pump from amazon to pump water the tank! LOL I know how you men love all your gear and gadgets but wow! I am totally blown away that 50 % have this. I Not to mention I dont even get how it works either or the premise behind it! How do you not vacum your sand bed? Or do yall have saltwater roomba vacs! lol
You can still sand vac, Removal of water can still be the same. This set up just allows to have storage of mixed saltwater on hand ready to go when you decide to do maintenance. You will also have a large supply of ro/di on hand to mix new saltwater, for top offs, or whatever else you may need it for. Basically, just storage.

In my old set up I did have my water station hooked directly to the sump so all I had to do was open a valve and drain a portion of the sump, close the valve, turn two valves on the mixing station to refill sump and a 20% water change was done in about 5-10 minutes. I would spend about an hour every two weeks syphoning stuff out of the tanks, but really with properly placed flow and different animals in the tanks very little stuff settled anywhere.

bblumberg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you guys are a bunch of gangstas. If I do not want to do the brute thing, where can I get a cheap 30-55 g RODI resevoir like the above pictured ones. I dont plan on going all out like some of you as I will have a small 5g top off ATO setup next to tank.
Check on Craigslist. There are many vendors who sell food grade 55 g polyethylene barrels for ~$30-50. For example, this one seems in your general area...

Bruttall

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seems like we all fall into one of three groups.
1. An eyedropper does 10% water change for me!
5. 5 gal bucket gang, not afraid of a little work!
3. no friggin way I am carrying that much water, I'd retire from reefing first, you know how much 20% is on my XXXgallon system!!!!!

:)

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 30 36.1%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 11 13.3%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 26 31.3%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 14 16.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.4%
Back