Maspect Gyre fx250 mode... Stand alone or connected to Apex?

Xclusive Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I want to hear about all you guys that are running the Maxspect Gyre with the controllers.

Are you using them stand alone with the controller or are you connecting it to the Apex?

What modes are you using during the day and at night?

Rocklin Mike

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run two XF250's with Icecap modules and Apex.

For the modes, i have a few different modes running during the day to either pulse one side up while the other side is low, then they swap, or both on 80% so the flow kinda crashes in the middle. At night the program is similar but at much lower flows like 30% pulsing. I dont have corals yet so i havent messed with flow too much but controls are great, and these pumps are well put together and very strong.

Kyl

And how does it feel like, to wake up in the sun
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a XF150 (same hardware as the 250) on my apex via icecap module, it works just as well as any other 0-10v pump on my systems. I do not use the directional ability (the example CoralVue has on their videos) anymore as it went through two motor blocks while using a frequent reverse cycle and feel it did almost nothing at an increased failure chance. Given the cost the module itself feels like a money grab for being model locked, and I've held off purchasing any additional gyres until the ICV6 <> 2016 Apex support is rolled out.

For profiles I run a constant low overnight at the absolute minimum power, ramp it up to higher constant during the day and mix it with a 'surge' mode once ever hour for five minutes that does short three second pulses at near full power to get the tank rocking and stir up junk into the water column. The pump does need more maintenance than a standard impeller one, but the sheet of flow is so much better.

OP
OP
Xclusive Reef

Xclusive Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a XF150 (same hardware as the 250) on my apex via icecap module, it works just as well as any other 0-10v pump on my systems. I do not use the directional ability (the example CoralVue has on their videos) anymore as it went through two motor blocks while using a frequent reverse cycle and feel it did almost nothing at an increased failure chance. Given the cost the module itself feels like a money grab for being model locked, and I've held off purchasing any additional gyres until the ICV6 <> 2016 Apex support is rolled out.

For profiles I run a constant low overnight at the absolute minimum power, ramp it up to higher constant during the day and mix it with a 'surge' mode once ever hour for five minutes that does short three second pulses at near full power to get the tank rocking and stir up junk into the water column. The pump does need more maintenance than a standard impeller one, but the sheet of flow is so much better.
thanks for info. I think i am just going to run them off the controller. I don't really see a point to add them to apex when I can do all the programming from the gyre controller. Do you have a icecap battery backup?

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 44 20.5%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.4%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 158 73.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 4.7%
Back