Mastertronic Honest Review.

scottsweet

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It doesn't waste any more reagent than a manual test would do, so the total cost of testing is the same (except ofcourse the purchase of the MT itself :) ).
Doing the tests in the proper order - this was the case for PO4 and NO3 - is old news, newer firmwares have added extra automatic needle cleaning when required. You can test what you want 24/7 without any contamination.
Harold, glad they updated the firmware to clean more often between tests. My sense is that this device has so many hiccups and failed tests that it is wasting a lot of reagent. Second, people are testing way more than actually necessary because they can :).

There is no need to test most elements like Mg, nitrates and phosphates multiple times a day or even every day unless you truly have a 0 elements tank. It makes sense to test for dKH multiple times a day...but that really is all that is needed.

scottsweet

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just got a ban on the Focustronic owners group on Facebook for starting a discussion about making your own KH reagent for the MT.

A couple of days ago my discussion about the crappy Kamoer dosing heads (many experience leaking pumps atm) got closed also.

This is not a true owners group run by some independant owners, it is run by Focustronic employé's who don't tolerate bad publicity. Just fyi. If you want true unbiased info don't go to that group.
Harold, I have been making my own Alkatronic reagent for over 1.5 years. It is easy but can be very dangerous.

Yes..Focustronic FB site doesn't want you talking about it...they sell it :).

scottsweet

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now that we are talking about the KH reagent and it's costs, anyone who thought about making the stuff himself? As far is i've read about it, bottle 1 is probably just a hydrochloric- or sulfuric acidsolution in rodi. A couple of drops of hcl in 50ml of rodi. With 1 bottle of hcl you could probably make yourself a lifetime of reagent.
Bottle 2, the dye, goes way longer than bottle 1 so less need to make that yourself, altough that could be easy to make either. You need a waterborn green dye (food coloration stuff or something) in the same intensity.
Harold, it isn't a "probably." You must be exact. I have been making my own for some time as noted on another post...

Harold999

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Harold, glad they updated the firmware to clean more often between tests. My sense is that this device has so many hiccups and failed tests that it is wasting a lot of reagent. Second, people are testing way more than actually necessary because they can :).

There is no need to test most elements like Mg, nitrates and phosphates multiple times a day or even every day unless you truly have a 0 elements tank. It makes sense to test for dKH multiple times a day...but that really is all that is needed.
I like to see what happens with NO3 and PO4 when feeding particular foods, when to change the filtersock, and i like the Mastertronic doing the testing for me. :)
Even if you only test once a week, the Mastertronic is very convenient in my eyes.
I hate manual testing.

cjb428

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So me, I’m looking at this or am apex. Problem with apex is I really want nutrient testing and would be even better to have nutrient testing and dosing which apex does not provide. Does mastertronic only test or does it test and dose? What I’m looking for is testing and dosing for alk, cal, mag, phosphate, and nitrate. Obviously there’s probably no dosing for nitrate, but I’m trying to figure out which controller is best for my needs and wants

n2585722

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So me, I’m looking at this or am apex. Problem with apex is I really want nutrient testing and would be even better to have nutrient testing and dosing which apex does not provide. Does mastertronic only test or does it test and dose? What I’m looking for is testing and dosing for alk, cal, mag, phosphate, and nitrate. Obviously there’s probably no dosing for nitrate, but I’m trying to figure out which controller is best for my needs and wants
You can pair the Mastertronic with a Hydros controller and use it to dose based on the Mastertronic readings. Also Focustronics does have the Dosetronic but not sure if that is only for the Alkatronic are if it will work with both.

Last edited:

MartinM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I purchased two, one for each of my reef systems. IMO, they were more maintenance than my aquariums, spitting out dozens of notifications a day about needing to be recalibrated, and overall were a total nightmare. They’re now sitting in storage.

paul01609

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Master tronic waste of time. Nitrate way off po4 way off. Cost a lot for testing. Just test alk and do icp every month or two way cheaper and more reliable.
Maybe you didn’t calibrate it right?

MartinM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe you didn’t calibrate it right?

They lose calibration very quickly, in a matter of days, probably because they use Kamoer dosing pumps which are absolutely terrible. I agree with him after owning two, they are not worth it at all.

cjb428

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can pair the Mastertronic with a Hydros controller and use it to dose based on the Mastertronic readings. Also Focustronics does have the Dosetronic but not sure if that is only for the Alkatronic are if it will work with both.
So I have been looking at the hydros controllers, which one would I pair mastertronic with to handle dosing?

n2585722

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have been looking at the hydros controllers, which one would I pair mastertronic with to handle dosing?
That will depend on what else you are wanting to do with it. I use drive ports to run my dosing pumps.

The X2 has 2 drive ports (12v output ports) and 2 sense ports ( ports for temp, water level and leak detectors to name a few).

The X3 has one probe port (pH or ORP) and two sense ports.

The X4 has 2 probe ports, 4 sense ports, 4 0-10v input ports, 4 0-10v output ports and 2 drive ports.

The XP8 has 8 AC outlets that it controls

All can be a wifi master and control the wifi strips, wifi plug and wifi feeder.

At this time the X4 has the most expansion but any combination of controllers can be a part of a collective and act like one large controller where the inputs and outputs are shared with each other. I currently have 9 controllers in a single collective. Four are at the tank and the other 5 are in the garage 35ft away from the tank with the 3 reservoirs and RODI filter. The ATO, AWC and dosing pumps are also in the garage. You can click on my build thread banner and go to page 7 for the Hydros stuff I have posted on my build thread.

BZOFIQ

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
9   0   0

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 72 35.3%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 7 3.4%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 53 26.0%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 64 31.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 3.9%
Back