Mat under a rimmed tank?

Zelly

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a rimmed aqueon 40 breeder, there are gaps between the rim of the tank and the stand. I feel like a mat underneath the tank will solve this issue and alleviate my worries but I dont know where to buy one. Id prefer to buy something at any of the major stores (home depot, lowes, menards) if I can. The only thing ive found online (that is a big enough size) is an adhesive leveling rubber mat from BRS. I dont necessarily want an adhesive one and like I said id rather just buy one from a local store. tank dimensions are 36 3/4" L x 18 1/4" W for reference. Please give me any suggestions, below is a picture of one of the gaps.
IMG_3387.jpeg

Last edited:

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I'd go with BRS. You can be confident about the density.

OP
OP
Zelly

Zelly

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But watch all 17 series and investigates first bc which Mat will change 17 times and then investigates will say something different.
Even if you dont trust them, its not like they are making most products. They are just selling it. The BRS mat im looking at is made by innovative marine.

Last edited by a moderator:

T€rm

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A better option would be to take those boards off and have them planned flat .
I’ve always read that a foam mat should not be used on a rimmed tank.

TheFunnyFarm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I built a stand for one of my builds with a rimmed/framed bottom, I decided to use self adhesive strips.
IMG_6264.jpeg

I calculated the weight of the tank, water, aquascaping, fish, equipment, etc. Then calculated the square inches of frame in contact with the stand, then those numbers gave me the rough PSI. I found the delta between the tank and stand which let me choose the right PSI rating and thickness for the foam.

This is what I used, but you can navigate to the parent category and filter the variables you need.

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Zelly

A foam mat is NOT for this kind of "leveling". It's used on a trimless tank between the glass and stand to prevent any small imperfections on the stand top from creating stress points on the bottom (glass) of the tank.

For your problem, either correct the top of the stand or use shims.

*As long as the corners of the tank are fully supported (along with the majority of the edges), the small gaps between trim and stand should not be an issue, but since you have the opportunity to do things right, I'd recommend making sure the stand top is completely flat.

Cpc83

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 50%
0   1   1
Even if you dont trust them, its not like they are making most products. They are just selling it. The BRS mat im looking at is made by innovative marine.
No they are just recommending things that Part of the time are not even meant for that use or is purely anecdotal. Would you take your car to a shop and them say we will just tape this filter on its not for this car but we can tape it and make it work. No you wouldn't

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
fix stand to level,or put full piece of plywood on top and level that,
never put mat under rimmed tank,JME and not recommended

OP
OP
Zelly

Zelly

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A better option would be to take those boards off and have them planned flat .
I’ve always read that a foam mat should not be used on a rimmed tank.

I would have done this if I noticed earlier. whole frame is already done and I don't own a planer yet unfortunately.

OP
OP
Zelly

Zelly

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Stand is not unlevel. What do you recommend to remove the gap then? Or are you saying the gap doesnt matter?

OP
OP
Zelly

Zelly

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Zelly

A foam mat is NOT for this kind of "leveling". It's used on a trimless tank between the glass and stand to prevent any small imperfections on the stand top from creating stress points on the bottom (glass) of the tank.

*As long as the corners of the tank are fully supported (along with the majority of the edges), the small gaps between trim and stand should not be an issue, but since you have the opportunity to do things right, I'd recommend making sure the stand top is completely flat.
What method would you suggest for flattening the top? I dont own a planer so cant go that route. I wouldnt be using the mat to level it, just to make a flush mating surface between the stand and tank.

rtparty

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
@Zelly

This is the only correct answer. Mats DO NOT level tanks.

Some in here should pay attention and educate themselves more instead of just looking to make baseless accusations because of their hate

rtparty

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
What method would you suggest for flattening the top? I dont own a planer so cant go that route. I wouldnt be using the mat to level it, just to make a flush mating surface between the stand and tank.

Doesn’t work that way. The points that are making contact will just flatten the mat in the same spots. The mat will merely hide the gap is all. It does nothing for leveling or flattening the stand

T€rm

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would have done this if I noticed earlier. whole frame is already done and I don't own a planer yet unfortunately.
I seen that you have it finished, but in reality it isn’t finished due to the fact the tank doesn’t sit flat.

Find a local carpenter to plane those top horizontal boards or go and buy finished boards to replace those uneven boards.

Rjukan

Day Dreamer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is the answer. Put plywood on top of that frame and your gap issues will be solved. Then level the tank and stand as one unit.

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure what to tell you... The mat won't do what you're wanting it to. I guess if you aren't willing/able to make the current stand top even, you could put something else on top of the stand - like a 1 inch thick piece of solid surface countertop material - or try to apply an epoxy material that will dry "flat". (I would not personally attempt the second option as I doubt I could adequately contain the edges, but it IS an option...)

Stuck to your aquarium: Do you put reef-related stickers on or around your reef system?

• I have reef-related stickers everywhere!

Votes: 6 2.8%
  • I have some reef-related stickers on or around my reef system.

Votes: 61 28.5%
  • I have some reef-related stickers, but not on my reef system.

Votes: 46 21.5%
  • I don’t have reef-related stickers, but I am interested in getting some.

Votes: 25 11.7%
  • I have no interest in reef-related stickers.

Votes: 74 34.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 0.9%
Back