Mateo’s 5 gallon Thunder Dome round 2!

19Mateo83

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I finally decided tonight was the night to redo my 5 gallon pico. I had been wanting to do this for a while now, the last few months I had been only topping it off and not really paying any attention to it.
This is the before shot.
IMG_0608.jpeg

It started off its life as a glo fish AIO pico. I love the size and the curved glass on it. In order to build it out like I want to, I needed a blank slate. I dumped everything… Rocks, sand, media….everything. The snails went into my 50 and the gsp, Xenia and palys went to a bucket. I will see if the LFS wants them in the morning, if not, I know the garbage can will take them. I razor bladed the glass, broke down the pump and meticulously scrubbed EVERYTHING. Clean tank, check!
Now on to the fun stuff. I had a new in the box Kessil a80 tuna blue but had no mount. So I pulled out some acrylic scraps and rigged up a half way nice mount. Light, check!
I had picked up a bag of fine aragonite sand a couple days ago so in that went… for some reason Iv always been a fan of aragonite substrate…. Now for the rock. When I broke down my 14 gallon cube i had bleached all the tonga fusion rock I had so I sweet rock was ready and waiting. About 15 minutes and 6 little super glue tubes later…. We have aquascape. Aquascape, check!
IMG_2153.jpeg

A total of about 4 hours and it’s done and bubbling. Water, check!
IMG_2154.jpeg

I took the scrubbie I’ve had floating around in my 50’s sump and transferred it to the pico and added a couple drops of ammonia to get it cycling. Tomorrow I will add a bio ball or two to speed things up.
The acrylic light mount really turned out great. It almost looks like it was factory made to go on here.
IMG_2156.jpeg
IMG_2157.jpeg

Now that this one’s been reset and all fresh and new, I’m thinking about doing cyphastria on the rocks and maybe a BTA/single clown combo.

Last edited:
OP
OP
19Mateo83

19Mateo83

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Upon start up I added 2 ppm of Fritz fishless fuel (ammonium chloride). And a rock from my sump. Yesterday I added half a bottle of turbostart 900 because why not. I tested the ammonia today and the salifert test still said 1ppm. I’ve always hated ammonia tests, especially this one. I tested nitrates tonight and my Hanna reported 75 ppm…. So…. A water change is in order and that ammonia test kit is going in the garbage.
Good news is, I see pods running around in there and there is little feather dusters still alive on the rock so I know it is now supporting life… YAY!

OP
OP
19Mateo83

19Mateo83

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I did a 3 gallon then a 2 gallon water change today. After those were done I tested the trates and phates with my Hanna checkers and I’m looking at No3 at 10.5ppm and Po4 at .03ppm. Perfect! I may go find a clown for it tomorrow.
IMG_2279.jpeg

OP
OP
19Mateo83

19Mateo83

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
love it! Ive been enjoying your youtube channel as well! cheers!
Awesome! Glad to have you along for the ride!

Got a black ice clown for the thunder dome today. He’s loving his new home! Got some clean up crew members too, a couple hermits, a nassarius and a cerith snail.
IMG_2321.jpeg

thrillreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good news is, I see pods running around in there and there is little feather dusters still alive on the rock so I know it is now supporting life… YAY!
If you have mature live rock in there, not sure you need to treat it like a newly cycled tank. Was a “rip clean” kind of cleanup, but reused the rock? If so, bacteria will be still there in force. Looks good though! I have a nano in need of this treatment

OP
OP
19Mateo83

19Mateo83

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
If you have mature live rock in there, not sure you need to treat it like a newly cycled tank. Was a “rip clean” kind of cleanup, but reused the rock? If so, bacteria will be still there in force. Looks good though! I have a nano in need of this treatment
All the rock came out of the 14g I broke down last year. It was bleach cured prior to this rebuild. The original rock that was in this tank was discarded. I added a piece or two of rock and a mesh scrubbie that’s been in my 50 gallon tanks sump for almost a year. The extra bottled bacteria was one of those “why the heck not” kinda additions. Thank you for the love though!

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 21.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 73 34.6%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 70 33.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%
Back