Maxspect Gyre xf330

roberthu526

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are so expensive, though about getting one but $50 more than a proven MP10 makes it hard to justify. Hopefully the icecap version will come out eventually

One gyre creates way more flow than an MP10. MP40 is probably a closer comparison.

U

User1

View Badges
Well, they move water which is what you want them to do. I have a pair of XF250's and they did just that, move water. Forwards, backwards, fast, slow, pulse, etc. They are good pumps for what they are supposed to do. They are great in mature tanks. They are not so great in newly cycled tanks or tanks with small corals unless the tank has an aquascape to support the flow. The controller isn't the greatest, but it also isn't the worst. They can be loud when pushing 60% power more so if they are not clean. Which gets back to the new tank vs mature with respect to algae growth. Even when loud they are not too terribly loud it is more of a whine or motor spinning up, etc.

They are somewhat tricky to clean. A lot of parts. The first time is going to take you longer as you learn to disassemble and reassemble, etc. Just like a weapon or any other thing you would clean. Practice makes perfect. Anyway along those lines there are replacement parts or at least my XF250's came with them. Cages, blades, and a few other things. Never needed them. Probably for me needed to be cleaned every other month so not too bad. My tank wasn't even a year old and I started with 1. Caught a sale so picked up a second. Best part about them is a cage and blade swap, controller change on flow patterns, and now you have forward and reverse flow. To make it even better you position vertical or horizontal, reposition on a tank side pane and now you have water movement forward and back, push, pull, etc. As long as you position the cage properly you now have water movement change which no other pump does. Sure controllers allow pulse, etc. But here you are doing the same pulse or pattern but forward and reverse...

For me though the new tank, rock maturing, coral maturing, I could never get the proper flow I wanted and I didn't like the performance at 20 - 30% power so I took them out of the tank and offline for a bit. I'm now using 2 x 1" sea swirls and a lot happier. My guess if or when my corals grow and the tank matures another year maybe I'll pull them out. But they work so if you are looking at them and have a mature tank I'd give them a go.

Only other complaint I had was that the new ones are not backward compatible with our XF2x series controllers. That ticked me off. Size would be the other. But at the end of the day they work and work well. Great product actually.

PacsAdmin77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All,

I just purchased two XF330’s for my 100G tank and I have some questions:
1. I have one XF330 placed horizontally about 1.5” from water surface on one end of the tank but I’m not sure where to place the other XF330. I’d like to negate all the dead spots below the rock overhangs. Any suggestions?
2. Is there any benefit to having the blades facing the same direction vs being staggered?
3. I was thinking of using the Constant Speed Mode but not sure if that’s optimal water movement. What do you guys recommend?

Kyl

And how does it feel like, to wake up in the sun
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All,

I just purchased two XF330’s for my 100G tank and I have some questions:
1. I have one XF330 placed horizontally about 1.5” from water surface on one end of the tank but I’m not sure where to place the other XF330. I’d like to negate all the dead spots below the rock overhangs. Any suggestions?
2. Is there any benefit to having the blades facing the same direction vs being staggered?
3. I was thinking of using the Constant Speed Mode but not sure if that’s optimal water movement. What do you guys recommend?
1) Place the other opposite of it. You can set them to both be on, or pulse towards eachother, and the flow in the middle of the tank gets quite chaotic. Or you let one rip while the other is off, not a whole lot of dead spots but it all depends on your rock scape.

2) Have them all face the same way, I see very little point to running one prop backwards a majority of the time, unless the gyre is too powerful even on the lowest speeds.

3) I tend to use constant with one and pulse with the other, then alternate that flow pattern. That way it keeps the chaos moving, so to speak.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

minus9

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Have 2 330s and love them. Quiet and powerful.

How are the 330's on half inch glass (actually 11mm)? I'm considering the 330's or 350's, but I have a shallow tank with sand and think the 350's will be too much? Tank is 36x36x16
acd2f4f357efd4998fdbeb8de754cc01.jpg

DJF

know less, learn more
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
350 owner for 3mos. & pleased with performance. One thing I’ve noticed is that the performance drops off significantly if not cleaned regularly.

Bob Weigant

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am considering getting the 330 for my marineland tank 200DD.IT has about 2 inches of sand and is a mixed reef. Thoughts ???

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
350 owner for 3mos. & pleased with performance. One thing I’ve noticed is that the performance drops off significantly if not cleaned regularly.

I love them (in general) - but I wish the 'things that block the algae/covers' were attached more firmly...

DJF

know less, learn more
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love them (in general) - but I wish the 'things that block the algae/covers' were attached more firmly...
100% agree. They fall off easily.

minus9

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Good to know, thanks! I'm leaning towards the 330, because of the smaller footprint, but I want to make sure it's going to hold onto my glass? Maybe I can pick up done second hand icecaps and see how they look?

Justfebreezeit

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How are the 330's on half inch glass (actually 11mm)? I'm considering the 330's or 350's, but I have a shallow tank with sand and think the 350's will be too much? Tank is 36x36x16
acd2f4f357efd4998fdbeb8de754cc01.jpg

It holds on 1/2 fine. Its definitely its outer limit though. If I bump mine while cleaning the tank It moves, other than that it stays in place.

Edit: the outside has static cling lining on the inside so it never falls off. you have to pry it off.

minus9

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
It holds on 1/2 fine. Its definitely its outer limit though. If I bump mine while cleaning the tank It moves, other than that it stays in place.

Edit: the outside has static cling lining on the inside so it never falls off. you have to pry it off.
Thanks! That helps a lot. Yeah, I saw the reviews and demos that show the outside magnet sticking rather well. I'm wondering if they'll ever offer a bigger magnet, like Tunze does with their pumps? My mp40's have fallen a few times, so these can't be any worse.

Jimbo662

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been looking at the 330s the last couple of weeks.

Tank is 5ft and going to be LPS. I've currently got a pair of MP40 on either end. One of them has developed a clicking on the wet side. Happened when I first got them and it was replaced. I've got a pair of WAVs (running at 5%) for cross flow along the back behind the rocks to prevent detritus from building up. I have a 3rd that I would use to switch out while cleaning one. The 3rd has just died and a 2nd is making a clattering / vibrating noise so I'm guessing it's on it's way out.

I'd like to place the two of the 330s vertically on the back corners pushing water to the front and across. Would the reverse flow be enough to help with the detritus build up along the back?

Jimbo662

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think you'll need the reverse flow, just move it forward and it will be enough to break things up.
Thanks...now if BRS would only get the 330 package back in stock. Sucks they didn't have it in stock during the one day sale. :-(

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 8.3%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 43 17.8%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 161 66.5%
  • Neither.

Votes: 12 5.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.5%
Back