McCosker's Wrasse Teeth stuck in Net

BranchingHammer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone,
I had a shipment of stressed fish come in today. As I was netting the McCosker's wrasse to introduce him to the tank, he clamped down on the net with his teeth. I tried to get him unstuck, but he wouldn't come off. I then laid the net in the aquarium to see if he would swim off himself, but he didn't after 30 mins or so. I ended up cutting the net, so only a 1/2 inch square is caught on his teeth, but this was a very stressful process for him. He is currently on the bottom of the tank and breathing slightly heavily. Both of his jaws are caught on the net. Is there anything I should do, or should I keep the lights off and let him try to get it off on his own? I was not aware that flasher wrasses commonly bite down on nets with their teeth, and now I feel really stupid for making a mistake that I could have easily avoided. Thanks in advance and for reading through. Any help is greatly appreciated!

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Hi everyone,
I had a shipment of stressed fish come in today. As I was netting the McCosker's wrasse to introduce him to the tank, he clamped down on the net with his teeth. I tried to get him unstuck, but he wouldn't come off. I then laid the net in the aquarium to see if he would swim off himself, but he didn't after 30 mins or so. I ended up cutting the net, so only a 1/2 inch square is caught on his teeth, but this was a very stressful process for him. He is currently on the bottom of the tank and breathing slightly heavily. Both of his jaws are caught on the net. Is there anything I should do, or should I keep the lights off and let him try to get it off on his own? I was not aware that flasher wrasses commonly bite down on nets with their teeth, and now I feel really stupid for making a mistake that I could have easily avoided. Thanks in advance and for reading through. Any help is greatly appreciated!
Yes= lower or turn off lights and walk away. Come back 30 minutes later and check to see if he dislodged it.
If not, trap in a cup or similar and you may have to gently remove with tweezers while holding fish Wearing a latex glove

OP
OP
BranchingHammer

BranchingHammer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes= lower or turn off lights and walk away. Come back 30 minutes later and check to see if he dislodged it.
If not, trap in a cup or similar and you may have to gently remove with tweezers while holding fish Wearing a latex glove
He has had around 5 hours to remove the net himself. He's still stressed from shipping/acclimation (breathing pretty heavily), and I don't want to stress him out so much on the first day. Do you think it's still worth removing the net tonight instead of waiting a day?

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
He has had around 5 hours to remove the net himself. He's still stressed from shipping/acclimation (breathing pretty heavily), and I don't want to stress him out so much on the first day. Do you think it's still worth removing the net tonight instead of waiting a day?
If respirations have increased and its been 5 hours, i would take the next step with removal. I understand your concern about added stress but the stuck net is worse than the removal process.

OP
OP
BranchingHammer

BranchingHammer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just counted 98 breaths per minute, which seems very high. His breathing rate might have elevated when I turned the room lights on, however. His breathing might be lower when I am not in the room with the lights turned on (the lights are not very bright and on the other side of the room as the tank)

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I just counted 98 breaths per minute, which seems very high. His breathing rate might have elevated when I turned the room lights on, however. His breathing might be lower when I am not in the room with the lights turned on (the lights are not very bright and on the other side of the room as the tank)
Yes, that is elevated rate

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Jay Hemdal if the breathing rate is this high, do you think it’s worth removing it? The fish is on the bottom of the tank and not moving much. Still upright but definitely stressed.
Tough to say - less than 100 bpm isn’t all that high for a small fish. I’d say this fish would normally breath at around 80 or so.

You’ll probably need to intercede and remove it. I can’t tell you how to do this, just to be gentle or course.

Sorry I don’t have more definitive advice for you.

Jay

OP
OP
BranchingHammer

BranchingHammer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tough to say - less than 100 bpm isn’t all that high for a small fish. I’d say this fish would normally breath at around 80 or so.

You’ll probably need to intercede and remove it. I can’t tell you how to do this, just to be gentle or course.

Sorry I don’t have more definitive advice for you.

Jay
Do you think the stress of having the net on him overnight will be more than me taking it off of him tonight? If he will be fine overnight, I can do it first thing in the morning, and it might give him some time to calm down? Unless the net is making him unnecessarily stressed, then I can do it tonight.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you think the stress of having the net on him overnight will be more than me taking it off of him tonight? If he will be fine overnight, I can do it first thing in the morning, and it might give him some time to calm down? Unless the net is making him unnecessarily stressed, then I can do it tonight.
Can you post a picture? That might give more information.
Jay

OP
OP
BranchingHammer

BranchingHammer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is a picture for reference:
McCosker Net Pic.png

Screen Shot 2023-08-10 at 9.21.16 PM.png

OP
OP
BranchingHammer

BranchingHammer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry, that picture doesn't give very good detail, but the net is caught on both upper and lower jaw and his mouth is open to accomodate the net

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry, that picture doesn't give very good detail, but the net is caught on both upper and lower jaw and his mouth is open to accomodate the net
Yes, I’d try to remove it now.
Jay

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
OP
OP
BranchingHammer

BranchingHammer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Netting removed except for a small fuzz on the lower tooth. Unfortunately, the fish is upside down/ sideways and breathing heavily. I will leave him in the dark until morning but idk what will happen now.

Set it and forget it: Do you change your aquascape as your corals grow?

• I regularly change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 13 8.9%
  • I occasionally change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 42 28.8%
  • I rarely change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 70 47.9%
  • I never change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 18 12.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.1%
Back