Media reactor for Reefer 250

ZachP

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking for opinions on a good GFO reactor for my reefer 250. I need one that can sit outside the sump because I have hardly any room left in the sump at the moment.

Tank has been setup for a month and a half or so and I’m working to get phosphates down. Nitrates are staying around 2-5ppm but phosphates after the cycle were around .5ppm. Now I’ve got them staying around .16ppm which is better. I have a refugium setup but it’s not cutting it. Looking to get a reactor to run GFO until I can get it to stay down in a reasonable range

OP
OP
ZachP

ZachP

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mind supplying a picture of your sump? I also have a reefer 250
Just snapped these real quick, not the best pictures. If there’s anything specific your wanting to see let me know and I’ll try to get a better picture

ED630D8A-499F-485B-9CA2-1496C345AFEA.jpeg 4BA0E146-8313-4456-B51A-61D4874F815C.jpeg

Auqaman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking pretty packed in there. You might have better success with your refugium if you lower the light. Just attached it to a small weight at the bottom. Hope you find a spot, good luck

OP
OP
ZachP

ZachP

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking pretty packed in there. You might have better success with your refugium if you lower the light. Just attached it to a small weight at the bottom. Hope you find a spot, good luck
I might have to try that just to stop the light from bleeding all over so bad. But when I first set it up at 60% intensity it started killing my Cheato so I turned it down to 40%. Figured once it starts doing good I’ll just slowly turn it back up

OP
OP
ZachP

ZachP

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is that a prim hd16? Should be heavy on the red spectrum to prompt growth
Ya it’s the prime fuge. It is heavy on the red for sure. To be fair though I’ve only had the fuge setup for a week so it hasn’t really had time to take off. But my problem is my nitrates are already low, only phosphates are high. So the fuge is only going to help so much. Nitrates are staying between 2-5ppm, phosphates at .16ppm

Auqaman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My nitrates and phosphates have bottomed out, so I can’t help you there. IMO - I’d lower the light and give it a couple more weeks before you look at a gfo

uli-the-nihlist

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use the Aquamaxx FR-SE reactor. Has a really clean look and can sit in your sump if you move some things around.

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 58 74.4%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 9 11.5%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 9 11.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.6%
Back