Meredith's 180 In-wall happy place

Discussion in 'Large Aquariums 180g+' started by melypr1985, Oct 25, 2016.

1. melypr1985

melypr1985 totally addicted Staff Member Team R2R R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Reef Squad Leader Reef Squad Expert Contributor Article Contributor Partner Member

Hi everybody! I’ve been putting this stuff in my old thread for my 75 gallon tank, but decided it was time to start an actual build thread for the new tank. It seems that every year I upgrade. Well, this time I’m going really big! Well, really big for me ;) I’m moving my 75 gallon mixed reef into a 180 gallon Duel Overflow tank (72x24x24). The tank will be going into the wall of the living room with the bedroom behind becoming a fish room. Yup, the hubby is actually ok with this. He’s not overly happy about it, but he’s ok with it. The plan is to set up the 180 mostly complete and let it cycle properly before adding the livestock from the 75 to it. Nice and slow. The tank should be arriving soon and construction will start on the fish room when it does. This is mostly because my husband has to help me with this and refusing to do anything at all until the tank arrives.

The fish room with carpet and extra furniture removed:
    upload_2016-10-25_20-52-58.png

The new Maxspect Gyre XF 250 with controller for the new tank. This should do nice things when coupled with the MP 40 already in the 75.
    upload_2016-10-25_20-53-19.png
    An idea how the tank placement will look on the living room side.

upload_2016-10-25_20-53-36.png

And the stand arrives! I had a friend build it for me since my wood working skills are sub-par for sure. It’s very solid and perfectly square. I’ll have to do some shimming on the not-so-great concrete floor, but it will do just fine. I’m going to lay some plywood on the top and something in the bottom to catch spills that might happen. Not decided just yet. After the tank arrives we will need to strip off the drywall and baseboards, then carefully remove the lower studs from the wall without (hopefully) messing up the drywall on the living room side of the wall.

upload_2016-10-25_20-53-53.png

I’m hoping to have the tank tomorrow or Thursday. I’m also working a deal for the guys at the store to deliver it for me. I’m hoping this will only cost me a pizza. We shall see…. Stay tuned!!

TikiBird, tom reilly, Tsev03 and 19 others like this.
    Tags:
  2. dbl

dbl Just Trying to Help R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Reef Squad Leader Reef Squad Article Contributor Partner Member

Meredith is going big time...so excited for you. This is going to be awesome watching this come together.

3. KenJ

KenJ Active Member R2R Supporter

Go for it, big is better!

4. Brew12

Brew12 Electrical Gru R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Reef Squad Article Contributor Partner Member

We have a build thread!!!! :D

So when are you adding fish? :rolleyes:

:p:p

5. Ljaus

Ljaus Well-Known Member

100% Definitely watching this one.

6. revhtree

revhtree Owner Administrator Staff Member Team R2R R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Photo of the Month Award Article Contributor Partner Member

Oh yea!! Awesome!

AndysReef, 143MPCo, stevo01 and 3 others like this.
  7. seastar

seastar Well-Known Member R2R Supporter

How exciting! Congrats on the upgrade! that is going to look STUNNING when complete! Following.

120reefkeeper, melypr1985 and Brew12 like this.
  8. hybridazn

hybridazn Acro killer..... Staff Member Team R2R R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Photo of the Month Award PMAS Member Reef Squad Database Team Partner Member

Awesome!

9. melypr1985

melypr1985 totally addicted Staff Member Team R2R R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Reef Squad Leader Reef Squad Expert Contributor Article Contributor Partner Member

Thanks!! I'm super excited too! Pretty nervous about getting it right, but mostly excited :)
    I know right! I totally agree.
    Eh, maybe in a week or two. lol The tank just arrived so I'm getting serious about planning my stock list. I have to get another 10 gallon tank for TTM since I broke my other one too.
    Thanks for following!
    Thanks!
    I sure hope your right! Thanks for following!
    Thanks!

stevo01, hybridazn and Ljaus like this.
  10. melypr1985

Look what arrived today at the store!!! Best Wednesday ever! She's big, she's beautiful and she's on her way to my house tomorrow! (I hope) A friend is doing me a favor in exchange for a free lunch. I hope he comes through for me. (everybody cross your fingers and say a little prayer)

[​IMG]

Doug T, Robink, cameronh and 5 others like this.
  11. Ljaus

Ljaus Well-Known Member

Fingers and toes are crossed for you!

stevo01 and melypr1985 like this.
  12. drawman

drawman Well-Known Member

Very nice!

13. Diesel

Diesel 11.111............. R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Photo of the Month Award Reef Spotlight Award Partner Member

You have NO time for this young lady ;)
    Diesel was in town last Saturday and will be cruzing back through the Big-D next week I hope if not the following.
    I hope I can see some of your build, oh yes I can be a hand if you want as I have always tools on the truck.
    Congrats young lady on the 180 :)

stevo01, Ljaus and 120reefkeeper like this.
  14. melypr1985

Yes sir!! I'd love to have you over! Just let me know when :D

Ljaus likes this.
  15. 120reefkeeper

120reefkeeper Reef keeping with Military Precision! R2R Supporter Reef Squad Article Contributor Partner Member

That's awesome ! Definitely staying tuned into this one!

16. Diesel

Diesel 11.111............. R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Photo of the Month Award Reef Spotlight Award Partner Member

I will do that.
    We need to celebrate that 180 beast and will take you and your family out for dinner after you filled me in on the blue prints.
    Start thinking about a fish or coral as Diesel will bring a surprise after it is coral or fish ready.

Rick.45cal, cameronh, Anirban and 2 others like this.
  17. melypr1985

You're so amazing my friend! I look forward to your visit. We'll definitely have to go to dinner and I'd love your input on my plans. Give me a good heads up and I can make sure Richard is off that night too!

cameronh, Diesel and Ljaus like this.
  18. melypr1985

Thanks so much! :D

120reefkeeper likes this.
  19. justingraham

justingraham Well-Known Member Partner Member

So when is the build thread for the three hundred coming?
    Congrats I might have missed it but what 180 did u get marineland or aqueon? i will be good that big or bigger and am thinking aqueon because I can get a new one pretty cheap.

20. melypr1985

I went marineland because I could get a better deal on that brand through the store. From what I've heard, at this size, both brands are about on par with each other. I haven't seen any real issues with these brands on this size tank either. They tried to talk me into a custom build, but they gotta start paying me more before I can shell out that kinda moola. ;) Oh and with my track record, it'll be about a year and a half before I upgrade to the 300. lol <--- my husband would probably strangle me in my sleep!

Husker, roman1, Tsev03 and 4 others like this.