Mg test kits recommendations

Gwcreefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been using Red Sea Mg pro. My kit is about year old giving me a reading of almost 2000 with IO reef crystal. Went to a LFS who have a LaMotte water spin test unit ( the type that use the round disks). It gave me a reading of 1250, which made me feel a little better. Bought a new Red Sea kit, tested again and its still reading 1800. Are the Red Sea kits any good?
Thanks

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've heard of others with issues on their red sea magnesium tests but I have never had an issue with them myself (I've been using them for a couple of years).

OP
OP
G

Gwcreefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you reading the results correctly? (not reversed) I also have the Red Sea magnesium kit and it's been pretty reliable.
I think I'm reading it right...the old kit I'd used the whole syringe full of the "C", the new kit used used 9 parts of the syringe

OP
OP
G

Gwcreefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe the LaMotte test was wrong and the Red Sea are my real readings, they are both close enough to each other. If thats the case then I have bigger problems then...my tank and my salt barrel both read the same.

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I'm reading it right...the old kit I'd used the whole syringe full of the "C", the new kit used used 9 parts of the syringe
Something is off. Either there's something wrong with the Red Sea testing kit or something with the way you're testing. There's no way you'd see a ±550ppm difference.

Sean Clark

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also use Red Sea Mg test and have not had any issues with them. I would use a third test to see. Something is off.

OP
OP
G

Gwcreefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My testi
Something is off. Either there's something wrong with the Red Sea testing kit or something with the way you're testing. There's no way you'd see a ±550ppm difference.
My testing was old kit 2000, new kit 1900...the LaMotte spin test at the fish store was 1250. I'm wondering if it could be my ro/di. I repaced the filters about a month ago and only made about 200 gallons of water on them. TDS into Di is 5, coming out is 0. But my water from the town has high manganese.

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 75 29.5%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 75 29.5%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 54 21.3%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 48 18.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 0.8%
Back