Miami Chalice Growth Direction

spielco

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Newer to the hobby and wondering what ways the chalice will grow with the way I have it positioned. It’s really taken off over the last month and filled the plate out. At first we were thinking it was going to drape down off the ledge. Than noticed it grew up a little in the back. So what would be the direction it’s most likely to go?

IMG_2415.jpeg

JaaxReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Newer to the hobby and wondering what ways the chalice will grow with the way I have it positioned. It’s really taken off over the last month and filled the plate out. At first we were thinking it was going to drape down off the ledge. Than noticed it grew up a little in the back. So what would be the direction it’s most likely to go?

IMG_2415.jpeg
In my experience, light and flow are the huge impacts there and it could grow a variety of ways depending on those factors. If in lower light, I’ve seen them plate more flat out or cup upwards to capture more light in the areas receiving less light (hence the informal name chalice). I’ve also had some in higher light grow more down at an angle away from the light once they reach an edge of the aquascape or disc.

Flow can also be an impact for sure and creates different shapes especially if it is getting more linear flow from one direction.

If you plan to mount it on your rocks somewhere, I would do it before it gets too large, because it will grow itself to optimize its environment (which, right now, is on that frag rack).

Ghostbuster

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

IMG_2415.jpeg
It would be neat to see it drape down from that location. I’d leave it there. It will grow downwards like curtains

OP
OP
spielco

spielco

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
It would be neat to see it drape down from that location. I’d leave it there. It will grow downwards like curtains
I think that would be slick. I’m hoping it’s going to drape down and on the backside up the glass. High hopes but crossing my fingers lol

twentyleagues

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Regardless of how it grows I would replace that frag holder with one with a magnet or adapt that one to a magnet. That suction cup will fail and if that coral hasn't attached to the glass yet it will fall to the sandbed or rock below. Most suction cups I give 6 month to a year at most in any fish tank less with saltwater. Its a nice coral however it grows hate to see it damaged.

OP
OP
spielco

spielco

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Oh, it will grow fast/downward. I fed my tank well but never spot-fed the chalice. It grew to football-size in just a few years
I feed regularly and do spot feed him. He loves it. It’s been a fun coral for sure!

OP
OP
spielco

spielco

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Regardless of how it grows I would replace that frag holder with one with a magnet or adapt that one to a magnet. That suction cup will fail and if that coral hasn't attached to the glass yet it will fall to the sandbed or rock below. Most suction cups I give 6 month to a year at most in any fish tank less with saltwater. It’s a nice coral however it grows hate to see it damaged.
Smart thinking! I appreciate that!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 14.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 7.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 80 55.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 7.0%
Back