OP
Charlie’s Frags

Charlie’s Frags

Follow me on Instagram @Charlies Frags
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just stopping back by to say thank you for this post, it gave me the courage to give it a try on my 25 Gallon Waterbox Peninsula which is closer to 18-20 Gallons.

I was going to try a micro dose, but as I read more in the thread it seemed that the dosage was increased to a normal does and there were no negative effects.

I decided my algae problem was pretty bad, so I said heck with the micro dose and I added MORE than DOUBLE ( 4 capsules ) the recommended dose for my system to see what would happen.

I'm happy to report that all the algae is almost gone and everything has survived in my tank which is starting to become pretty sps dominant, including all my fish, shrimp and snails. My Clam seems extra happy lately, and the polyps on my sps are longer than I've ever seen.

This Saturday will be the 3 week mark and I plan to do my 30% water change, AND hitting the tank with a second round of DOUBLE the recommended dose. I also plan to dose it a few times a Year like the OP does just to maintain, I never want Bryopsis again!... Thanks Charlie!!!
Happy to hear it worked for you.

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Charlie’s Frags @Garf

I stopped my skimmer, ozone, activated carbon, GFO, and carbon dosing.

I dosed 1 pill in my 260 gallon tank. It’s been 2 days, and I don’t really see much change in the small bryopsis patch I have.

Is this normal? Tomorrow I’m supposed to restart my equipment. I know skimming and GAC will completely remove the medication, so I kind of wanted to see the bryopsis die before then. :)

OP
OP
Charlie’s Frags

Charlie’s Frags

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It takes at least a week for the results to kick in and will continue to work for the next weeks even though all your equipment will be back on. I would hit again in 3 weeks if there’s still bryopsis

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It takes at least a week for the results to kick in and will continue to work for the next weeks even though all your equipment will be back on. I would hit again in 3 weeks if there’s still bryopsis
Thanks buddy!

I’ll keep you up to date.

Dominic Sakon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been battling a bad bryopsis outbreak for over a year. Maybe even longer but the last 12 months have been awful. It seemed to spread exponentially within a couple days each time I would manually remove as much as I could. I actually developed tendinitis in my elbow from spending so much time pulling this crap off with surgical pliers. I tried raising magnesium to 1800 with hydrat mag from brightwell aquatics for months but all that did was cause acros to rtn. The bryopsis was so bad it was creeping up under some of the corals….that cause them to stn. I had to frag a bunch of them and then new bryopsis would soon follow. I tried a rabbit fish, tons of snails, and 10 lettuce nudis but nothing would really help. The lettuce nudis helped a little but all but 1 disappeared within a couple weeks. I also tried draining the tank trying to spot treating as much as I could with 12% h202. This would knock out a bunch but eventually it all just came back.
I didn’t want to dose flucozanole bc I had issues with it in the past and had heard many sps horror stories associated with it. But I was reaching my mental and physical (I wasn’t lying about the elbow) limit. Then I saw a video from @ReefBum with Jason fox and he said he doses 1 pill of reeflux for 1000g. The product recommends 1 pill per 10g. So figured what the h3ll. Now the recommended dose of reeflux for my 50g tank looks like this
A7ACEAA9-A015-4A66-A6DB-8A4D4F167938.jpeg
but I only dosed this much
5E0F7030-BF86-491B-BC7F-FA7973AFB76E.jpeg

Within 3 days the bryopsis was disappearing and the rest of the algae was turning white
7D533065-328A-4D75-81ED-61E7F635D556.jpeg
6D3CDF41-2E4C-45DE-AC54-BD9A3A3AB6BD.jpeg

Everything looks really happy even though my nitrates are higher than ever.
1E7D0C42-F54E-42C5-9D28-5DE3720A478C.jpeg

Man I had this same experience. I had done 3 consecutive doses of fluconazole and followed directions to a tee.. I hate bryopsis, it just never fails to find a way to survive. The microdosing definitely helped and I did that until I ran out. It's been a few months now, and I think I saw a tiny spot of it popping up on a rock last night (here we go again ).

Garf

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Charlie’s Frags @Garf

I stopped my skimmer, ozone, activated carbon, GFO, and carbon dosing.

I dosed 1 pill in my 260 gallon tank. It’s been 2 days, and I don’t really see much change in the small bryopsis patch I have.

Is this normal? Tomorrow I’m supposed to restart my equipment. I know skimming and GAC will completely remove the medication, so I kind of wanted to see the bryopsis die before then. :)
Took 3 days in the wife's tank to take effect, did 2 doses 3 or 4 weeks ago, not seen any regrowth. Didn't mess with the skimmer, just left it running.

zoasaholic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm having some problem with bubble algae in my red sea 170. started dosing 4 capsules of reef flux last Friday 12/02/ 2023.
Will report back in three weeks.

Attachments

• IMG_E1747[1].JPG
    IMG_E1747[1].JPG
    260.2 KB · Views: 65

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm having some problem with bubble algae in my red sea 170. started dosing 4 capsules of reef flux last Friday 12/02/ 2023.
Will report back in three weeks.
Wow. Your tank looks awesome!

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update

The micro dose of reef flux worked! The bryopsis turned white by day 3.

I haven’t lost anything to the reef flux. All my equipment is back in and things are looking great.

Thank you @Garf and @Charlie’s Frags

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update. The bryopsis patch is starting to grow back. I just did that one micro dose and closed everything (GFO, Carbon, skimmer, uv, ozone etc) for 3 days.

Took a few weeks for it to regrow. If I were to do it again, I would try a higher dose and leave everything off until the bryopsis completely dies.

However, I’m not planning on trying reef flux for now because the bryopsis is extremely mild.

OP
OP
Charlie’s Frags

Charlie’s Frags

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Only took 2 or 3 micro doses for me and I’m 100% bryopsis free for at least 6 months now.

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Only took 2 or 3 micro doses for me and I’m 100% bryopsis free for at least 6 months now.
Oh. So it’s normal to require multiple treatments for the micro dosing to work? I may have misremembered that part. Whoops.

shakacuz

hang loose, cuz
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Oh. So it’s normal to require multiple treatments for the micro dosing to work? I may have misremembered that part. Whoops.
it took 2 doses for me to get rid of mine. no signs of it yet. been well over a month or two

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would just like to keep this up to date. Anyone else tried it and was to discuss results.
I did one dose and it worked for the most part. There was a patch that regrew that I spot treated with concentrated sodium hydroxide + calcium hydroxide. I have not seen a single bryopsis cell ever since anywhere in the tank.

If I had to treat again, I would raise the concentration of fluconazole slightly and I will not remove the flux with activated carbon or water changes etc until all the bryopsis was completely eliminated.

It takes about 3 days to start seeing them die off, and that was exactly when I started removing the flux.

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I originally did 2; 1/3 doses. GHA came back a little bit after a few months, and I have done 2 micro doses since.
I had some GHA grow on my drain line but just washed that away with tap water. But that's it. Display is clear, sump is clear. The last micro dose was months ago.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 41 22.8%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 60 33.3%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 58 32.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 17 9.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.2%
Back