NaanDu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I set up my tank some time ago and had only fish and inverts. Then I ended up inheriting some live rock and zoas from someone who was shutting down their tank. I have what I believe to be a large paly colony, but then also these suuuuper tiny zoas. When I asked the guy what any of them were he said he couldn't remember cuz he had gotten them several years ago and didn't keep any records of what he had.

Fingers crossed someone here can ID them for me. The micro zoas seem to be spreading quickly and in weird ways. I found 2 new polyps yesterday that were attached to a small sheet of cyano barely bigger than they were in a far flung corner of the tank nowhere near the next closest polyp. I accidentally kicked up the cyano and it stayed in a sheet with the polyps attached just floating around the tank. Never seen something like that before. They're also attaching to random shells throughout my tank which is pretty neat.

The first pic is of the palys. Fully open they're about the size of a thumb nail. The miniscule zoas glow the absolute faintest lime green color under blue light, and are smaller than the head of an eraser.

PXL_20240311_173916701.jpg PXL_20240311_173922129.jpg PXL_20240311_173910832.MP.jpg

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to the forum!
The palys look like the traditional toxic green palys (or whatever you want to call them).
The zoas honestly just look like generic, no name zoas (unless those have a fancy name too).
Definitely a good idea to do something about the aiptasia.

OP
OP
N

NaanDu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure of the ID but it looks like you inherited some aiptasias, so I'd remove those rocks immediately.
Oh yeah. There were only a couple heads of it at first but obviously it spread like wildfire pretty quickly. I've been wanting to get a Berghia to take care of it--plus I find them fascinating. Everywhere near me is sold out though so I'll probably end up going the route of a peppermint shrimp.

OP
OP
N

NaanDu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to the forum!
The palys look like the traditional toxic green palys (or whatever you want to call them).
The zoas honestly just look like generic, no name zoas (unless those have a fancy name too).
Definitely a good idea to do something about the aiptasia.
Thank you! I've been lurking since getting my tank set up but finally took the plunge to start posting! I think the random micro zoas are super cute, but I'd rather have something a little more pronounced that isn't going to spread as much as these have already. Hopefully someone local would be willing to take them off my hands.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 14.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 7.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 78 55.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.4%
Back