Microbacter 7

jp_75

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there a reason to add it daily or weekly? I hear some people do it…

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
IMHO, No, I do not add any bacteria routinely.
BTW - the reason I don't use it is that there have been many studies, that new bacteria in an established tank often just 'die', once they have taken over the available Niche's available in the tank. Adding more does not see to increase overall diversity, bacterial numbers

Azedenkae

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there a reason to add it daily or weekly? I hear some people do it…
I do see a point to adding it after the cycle to establish additional microbes that may be beneficial (since MB7 contains microbes beyond just nitrifiers), but not long term, no. For the same reasons that others stated - at some point you'd expect there to be a population established already and further dosing would contribute minimally to it.

OP
OP
jp_75

jp_75

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is Microbacter Clean beneficial to add weekly? I do 10 gallons water change every week. It’s a RS XL 425 so it’s 10%?

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Is Microbacter Clean beneficial to add weekly? I do 10 gallons water change every week. It’s a RS XL 425 so it’s 10%?
IMO, I do not think it is, unless you want the company that makes it make more money. You can add whatever you want. I'm not sure unless you have a specific reason to do so - why you would want to. It is not a substitute for doing routine maintenance

OP
OP
jp_75

jp_75

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m trying ti get rid of bubble algae.
Maintenance routine is in check.

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I add some here and there, different brands, to add to my diversity. I also feed them through a carbon dose, and I also use it to pre-seed additions to rockwork.

Microbacter 7, Seed by Seachem, Dr.Tim’s, all have their own brew.

Helps keep things tidy.

Calm Blue Ocean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've dosed a lot of bottled bacteria. Fritz TurboStart when I cycled the tank, a couple bottles of coralline algae (which include nitrifying bacteria), and lots of Microbacter7 since getting dinos last December. What's interesting is that I had a biome analysis with AquaBiomics and my tank had an unusual lack of diversity for one it's age (almost a year old). My take on the results is that my tank isn't that many steps away from being bottled bacteria. I'm not saying that using a lot of these products was the cause of that, I believe there are a lot of other factors at play (in particular the whole process of eliminating the dinos) but I've decided to try adding live rock rubble instead to boost my bacteria. I'll be curious to test again in a couple months and see if things have changed.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I've dosed a lot of bottled bacteria. Fritz TurboStart when I cycled the tank, a couple bottles of coralline algae (which include nitrifying bacteria), and lots of Microbacter7 since getting dinos last December. What's interesting is that I had a biome analysis with AquaBiomics and my tank had an unusual lack of diversity for one it's age (almost a year old). My take on the results is that my tank isn't that many steps away from being bottled bacteria. I'm not saying that using a lot of these products was the cause of that, I believe there are a lot of other factors at play (in particular the whole process of eliminating the dinos) but I've decided to try adding live rock rubble instead to boost my bacteria. I'll be curious to test again in a couple months and see if things have changed.
This is (IMHO) exactly the issue. Adding bacteria does not create diversity - it can lower it - because the tank is bombarded every week with new bacteria. 1 of 2 things will happen - the bacteria that are in the tank are outcompeted by the new bacteria - or the old bacteria outcompete the new bacteria. BTW - I know of no scientific concept that suggests that 'adding diversity' is a benefit in a closed system reef tank. Again - I am not against these products - I always set up new tanks with 'bottled bacteria'. Additionally, as a tank ages - diversity decreases as the bacteria in the tank outcompete each other (the strongest one survives)

elorablue

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Honestly I have no way of knowing if it's beneficial or not. It came as part of the Brightwell Cycle kit along with Ammonia and Microbacter Start. I used those according to the directions and started with the Clean also when directed. It is supposed to be one of those products similar to Vibrant. All I can say is that my 'ugly stage' has been very mild up to this point .
I also do a 15% WC every week.
People can doubt manufacturers claims as much as they like, and with good reason, however I believe that a manufacturer of a product wants you to succeed and it is in their best interest to provide beneficial products.
So I will continue to use it until the bottle runs out. After that? I'm not sure.

To your specific bubble algae issue, Vibrant has been reported to take care of it successfully. Might be worth a try because I don't think Micro 7 will have any affect whatsoever on it.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Honestly I have no way of knowing if it's beneficial or not. It came as part of the Brightwell Cycle kit along with Ammonia and Microbacter Start. I used those according to the directions and started with the Clean also when directed. It is supposed to be one of those products similar to Vibrant. All I can say is that my 'ugly stage' has been very mild up to this point .
I also do a 15% WC every week.
People can doubt manufacturers claims as much as they like, and with good reason, however I believe that a manufacturer of a product wants you to succeed and it is in their best interest to provide beneficial products.
So I will continue to use it until the bottle runs out. After that? I'm not sure.

To your specific bubble algae issue, Vibrant has been reported to take care of it successfully. Might be worth a try because I don't think Micro 7 will have any affect whatsoever on it.
vibrant dosing was coincident with a 50% death in corals in my tank. IDK if it was causal. Companies do not all 'want everyone to succeed'. My guess is that if you asked the top 10 experts here - few would say they regularly add bacteria to their tanks (except via natural means). I would look more at natural control measures (popping bubbles - and filtering out the detritus, or emerald crabs, etc

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 48 20.6%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 1.7%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 169 72.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 5.2%
Back