Midas Blenny with odd white spots on one gill

MusicTeach

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey ya'll!

My midas blenny started acting strange a couple of weeks ago - slightly more aggressive. I was hoping it was just a phase. Unfortunately, he even started to darken in color! Although some of that color darkening has gone away, I've noticed these white speck like things on one side of his face, right near his gill.
P1070755.JPG

My midas has lived in my tank since the end of June 2018, and he's done very well. Until the last couple of weeks. He often swims with my two pink skunk clowns, and seems unaffected by my clown goby. He doesn't seem to mind the red firefish, but loves to pick on the purple firefish. His behavior change started after I added in some SPS, had a slight alk dip and lift (it's leveled out now), and added in two mandarin dragonets. One of the mandarins dissapeared in a day, but the male is still alive.

What do you think it is? ... and how should I treat it? I'm moderately terrified the answer is "quarantine tank," because although I know I should have one.... I don't :( I've got a friend with one though... so maybe he'll be kind and be willing to doctor my midas if necessary...

Let me know your thoughts. Thank you all for taking a look at this!

geddavis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Imidiatly put him in a QT tank and treat him for ich. He most definetly has ich which starts in the gills or on fins and then spreads. Ich can speed very fast and is deadly so treat imidietly. I had a whole tank crash because of ich before it is no joke. The all swing probebly stresses him out and weakens his immune system causing him to get ich. Make sure to vacuums you’re sand bed to make sure to get rid of the ich “eggs” so to minimize the spread.

geddavis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry for my terrible Grammer typed it out supper fast on my phone.

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The darkening is sometimes caused by a lack of oxygen in the fish's body. He probably has either flukes or perhaps Ich. A 5 minute freshwater dip will confirm or eliminate flukes from consideration.

OP
OP
MusicTeach

MusicTeach

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any advice for how to catch a fish? Especially one who likes to burrow and hide? :(:(:( Preferably, without taking apart entire aquarium.

Alvin414

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any advice for how to catch a fish? Especially one who likes to burrow and hide? :(:(:( Preferably, without taking apart entire aquarium.
How is your fish now? I am facing the same issue with Midas blenny now

OP
OP
MusicTeach

MusicTeach

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alvin,

I am so sorry to hear this! I got lucky - It was an exceptionally busy time for me, and I wasn't able to catch him, but he recovered. I do have a pair of cleanershrimp, so he might have used them. I will say that he gets stressed when I start changing the parameters, and that's when I start noticing more of those weird scrapes or whatever they were on him. My LFS was pretty confident that he scraped himself, and to let it heal itself. Definitely check with the community here with your own pictures though - ick is a no-fun fish problem.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 27 22.9%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 2 1.7%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 84 71.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.2%
Back