Mini cycle

alicia24

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,
I bought a 120g used with sand and lots of rocks and tons of nems, and inverts a few days ago. I should have not reused the sand I'm realizing that now. Ammonia is 0.93 (hanna) nitrate 7.9 (hamna). I already had to do a massive water change about 60-70% because I couldnt transport all the water needed to fill the tank. I'm really trying to avoid more water changes for a little bit as that was quite a lot of work. Can I just dose prime and microbacter 7 and hopefully its just a mini cycle and resolves in a few days? I just dont want all the inverts to die. No fish in there right now. Thank you!

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is no mini cycle in reefing your system is fine if it didn’t crash on day one after the move. Post a pic of the tank

If the pic looks normal and it’s been up for more than one day it’s fine.

Ammonia isn’t zero in reef tanks, and your measure is in nh4 not nh3 which reefs use, the reading is fine. Post the tank pic

Ammonia events resolve in under fifteen minutes since the rocks remained cycled. Agreed, moving unrinsed sand is a massive risk but not due to ammonia issues. Organics kicked up in waste clouding is affecting your reading, this isn’t a mini cycle there are none of those it’s a made up event based on old rules that ammonia is always zero in reefing: it’s not.

OP
OP
A

alicia24

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok thanks! I just turned the lights on to take a pic but the nems definetely aren't supper happy but I attribute that to the transport. Also have low ph but working on getting the skimmer back up and running. 20240419_091030.jpg 20240419_091041.jpg

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Excellent. Not an ammonia issue for sure. Reef on :)

Garf

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok awesome!! Thanks so much!
I expect there is ammonia present but the lethal levels really are pretty high, especially with a reduced pH. I'd just monitor for a few days, considering you've already got the Hanna checker. Any disturbance can cause a reduction in ammonia processing for a little while (about 3 days in my limited experience).

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
we have seneye results on file from tank transfer jobs already.

those levels have been reported before using that checker in non transfer events. the checker states it has a .05% level of flux in the reading, and it's nh4

higher nh4 readings are part and parcel of every false ammonia alert thread on this board. that's the case here still.

here are tanks that didn't even have a move or any type of insult, panicking over elevated nh4 readings, and these kits show a range of feedback levels all on tanks that are perfectly normal and matured:

no calibrated seneyes have shown an ammonia spike for days after any type of reef tank job. if the resulting live rock stack is normal, it reduces load ammonia in 15 mins or less

if it's insufficient, it won't. it's not the aquarium job that matters, its the degree of ending rock stack and hers there above is high quality rock, stacked in the way we do.

seneye nh3 meter shows a 15 min resolution for ammonia loading by the rocks in question, on any tank they're installed and calibrated in, and those are powerful rocks above.

here's a link showing calibrated seneye tanks getting ammonia dumped into them as a test load, and handling it within 15 minutes. reef tank sand doesn't store ammonia and a tank transfer does not expose this much ammonia to already-cycled rocks.

can you show a link where you've seen that before this event here in order to state when ammonia control stops or reduces in reefing

Last edited:

Garf

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thats not true. we have seneye results on file from tank transfer jobs already.

can you show a link where you've seen that before this event here>
It's happened to me, although I knew it wasn't dangerous, on a poor man's seneye.
Ok awesome!! Thanks so much!

Garf

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

those levels have been reported before using that checker in non transfer events. the checker states it has a .05% level of flux in the reading, and it's nh4

higher nh4 readings are part and parcel of every false ammonia alert thread on this board. that's the case here still.

here are tanks that didn't even have a move or any type of insult, panicking over elevated nh4 readings, and these kits show a range of feedback levels all on tanks that are perfectly normal and matured:

no calibrated seneyes have shown an ammonia spike for days after any type of reef tank job. if the resulting live rock stack is normal, it reduces load ammonia in 15 mins or less

if it's insufficient, it won't. it's not the aquarium job that matters, its the degree of ending rock stack and hers there above is high quality rock, stacked in the way we do.

seneye nh3 meter shows a 15 min resolution for ammonia loading by the rocks in question, on any tank they're installed and calibrated in, and those are powerful rocks above.

here's a link showing calibrated seneye tanks getting ammonia dumped into them as a test load, and handling it within 15 minutes. reef tank sand doesn't store ammonia and a tank transfer does not expose this much ammonia to already-cycled rocks.

can you show a link where you've seen that before this event here in order to state when ammonia control stops or reduces in reefing
That's one heck of an edit Brandon, lol.

BeanAnimal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Brandon - Nitrifying bacterial counts rise and fall based on the availability of food. Overwhelm any step in the process with too much food and the bacteria in the next step have to multiply to process the food.

In other words the "cycle" is a never ending expansion and contraction of nitrifying bacteria for the live of your aquarium. Anytime that you do something to significantly disrupt or overwhelm the balance there will be unprocessed food waiting for the bacteria to catch up. This means nitrite or ammonia counts may rise. Will those counts be detectable by a test kit or sensor? It depends on how large the imbalance is.

Call this delayed reaction what you want but the common terminology in our hobby is "mini cycle". It gets the point across easily.

What is the purpose for making this simple concept so obfuscated by awkward language, new term coinage and continued references to threads that nobody reads, are not scientific and only serve to obfuscate this simple concept?

Honestly, without reference to "work" or "jobs" or "new cycling science" can you explain why there is a need to make something so straight forward and understood so complicated?

Last edited:

BeanAnimal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Also - If you are going to reference "results" that you collect, you may want people to know that they are not scientific and that a real scientist here pointed at the rather flawed methodology (and therefore conclusions) that you continue to draw from your "data".

1713540566416.png

BeanAnimal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now I dont know what to believe I just dont want the inverts do die.
In short, I would not rely on analysis from a photo or advice that refuses to acknowledge that there may be an imbalance in the bacteria that makeup the nitrogen processing cycle.

There is a good chance that reusing the sand has produced a good bit of die-off and things need to balance back out.

If your tests are getting ammonia levels that continue to rise, like it or not a water change is your best option. If they are dropping, then you should be okay. There is just no reason to over complicate this or to not err on the side of caution.

OP
OP
A

alicia24

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In short, I would not rely on analysis from a photo or advice that refuses to acknowledge that there may be an imbalance in the bacteria that makeup the nitrogen processing cycle.

There is a good chance that reusing the sand has produced a good bit of die-off and things need to balance back out.

If your tests are getting ammonia levels that continue to rise, like it or not a water change is your best option. If they are dropping, then you should be okay. There is just no reason to over complicate this or to not err on the side of caution.
Ok thank you!!

BeanAnimal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You said your pH is low, this can also exacerbate issues.

Also - do test the water that you mix up to make sure that you are not introducing Ammonia. You can help age the water with an airstone (and raise pH).

Garf

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a good amount! Probably 10 left and can order more
I doubt you will need more to be honest. Like I said, immediately toxic levels are really high with an NH3/NH4 test, assuming that's the one you have. Go on, check it now, you never know, it may have come down a little.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 2 4.9%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 1 2.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 2 4.9%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 33 80.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 7.3%
Back