minimum tank size for Anemone??

NaturalGothic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thx for the explanation! I have a 32 gallon. What are your thoughts on keeping a ritteri in that size?
5F1D8174-1F0E-4F50-BD00-0A34E653A0B3.jpeg

the first one in the back is my seabae, then the beaded in the middle, and a small mushroom coral.

Upvote 0

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I work in an aquarium shop that specializes in saltwater so I think I have an explanation. A lot of the time, the larger the anemone, the easier it is to feed them. This is for 2 reasons. 1) Bigger mouth = easier to effectively spot feed and 2) Bigger diameter and more tentacles to catch food.

If you have a large tank or can’t easily access the anemone to feed it, having one that’s larger means it’ll be more self-sufficient.

Can't comment on ritteri but I have not fed my BTAs in years. I am not sure why this would be difficult though, I feed a tiny bali mini maxi nem the size of an inch with a coral feeding tool which is just a long piece of tube with a bulb on the end. A healthy nem is sticky regardless of size.

Upvote 0

NaturalGothic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can't comment on ritteri but I have not fed my BTAs in years. I am not sure why this would be difficult though, I feed a tiny bali mini maxi nem the size of an inch with a coral feeding tool which is just a long piece of tube with a bulb on the end. A healthy nem is sticky regardless of size.
While that’s totally true, I’ve noticed my clownfish have a habit of eating the mysis it catches before the food can reach the mouth. I looked into it more and apparently a lot of people have noted that their clowns don’t feed the anemone like most people think. They use it almost like a fridge; they store food in the tentacles for later. The theory also says the anemones are usually very quick to feed themselves and the clownfish don’t notice until after. Not sure if it’s totally true or not but I think it makes a certain degree of sense.

Upvote 0

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While that’s totally true, I’ve noticed my clownfish have a habit of eating the mysis it catches before the food can reach the mouth. I looked into it more and apparently a lot of people have noted that their clowns don’t feed the anemone like most people think. They use it almost like a fridge; they store food in the tentacles for later. The theory also says the anemones are usually very quick to feed themselves and the clownfish don’t notice until after. Not sure if it’s totally true or not but I think it makes a certain degree of sense.

My clowns eat the small pieces but always feed the large pieces to the nem. Like too large for a clown to swallow. It is the only time my BTA gets food besides what it may catch itself since I never target feed. I don't feed mysis, I feed a chunk of LRS which has a variety of sizes.

Upvote 0

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.5%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 92 80.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.4%
Back