Mircales 280g Peninsual - Plumbing design check

R33f_Hacker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, requestion any feedback on my preliminary plumbing crappy drawings, ha! Comig from 150 gal system from GA to bounty beach fl. here is the info on new system
DT - 280g peninsula 72x42x27
frag - 40b
jeabo 1580gph
cor20 - 2000gph
trigger system platinum 39 sump - 40g max
would like to get 3000gph to DT - 9.6 x turnover
closed loop in DT to get flow to far side of peninsula vectra L2

I think my sump might be too small .. prob may do
Not sure the 1" pipe going to the return of DT drains.
looking at this chart 1" can handle 2200gph
does the return drawing look ok

*** Dont mind the curvy pipes will make the final correct. checking functionality at this time.

Thanks for the suggestions!
70276710539__BC2FA5D2-A595-4997-AC19-8E91D46977ED.jpeg
IMG_0654.jpeg

Tub Life

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is all this going under the display?
Or is the sump, frag tank and equipment remote?

Are you running 2 return pumps into the same manifold?
Any reason to not separate them?

Returns you should use the largest piping your pumps allow for, if possible run 1.5 up to the display and reduce and tee off there.

Secondary drain, you really should have as a dedicated line and not tied into the frag tank drain.

Address these points and we can critique and tweak your plan accordingly, but it's a good start!

Sump size is arbitrary if it fits everything you need in it.
Unless it does not have the capacity to hold draining water in a power-off situation, that would be the biggest concern.

OP
OP
R33f_Hacker

R33f_Hacker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is all this going under the display?
Or is the sump, frag tank and equipment remote?
No, although I can fit a lot under a 4 ft steel stand but I don't want to have to work cramped up. we are building out an equipment closet/room. I believe it will quickly be too small want to save living room space. May 4" deep would be better I believe. See pic the tank is 32" width not 34. from drains to sump somethink like 12ft.
1681095922392.png

Are you running 2 return pumps into the same manifold?
Any reason to not separate them?

Returns you should use the largest piping your pumps allow for, if possible run 1.5 up to the display and reduce and tee off there.
That is a very good suggestion that I will incorporate!! TY
Secondary drain, you really should have as a dedicated line and not tied into the frag tank drain.
In my sump i can only fit 2x1.5" drains unless it bypasses the fleece roller or connects in somewhere before. Thoughts?
Address these points and we can critique and tweak your plan accordingly, but it's a good start!
Appreciate that! First large tank build.
Sump size is arbitrary if it fits everything you need in it.
Unless it does not have the capacity to hold draining water in a power-off situation, that would be the biggest concern.
I figure with the returns having check values i would not overflow the sump. Need to check volume from drains. off to a calculator. Was also thinking to join a second sump by drilling acrylic and installing a bulkhead.. not sure if that will work...

Last edited:

Tub Life

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my sump i can only fit 2x1.5" drains unless it bypasses the fleece roller or connects in somewhere before. Thoughts?
emergency drain doesn't need to go before the fleece roller. it is for worse case scenario, not for daily operation. I have my main and secondary dump before my filter socks and emergency drain just goes into main sump chamber.
I figure with the returns having check values i would not overflow the sump. Need to check volume from drains. off to a calculator. Was also thinking to join a second sump by drilling acrylic and installing a bulkhead.. not sure if that will work...
yep, check valves will help... I use them too. But for peace of mind, I like to have some capacity to hold extra water in the sump.
and yes you can attach a second sump with a bulkhead.
you could even have the bulk head above sump water line and it would just be in use if there was some sort of overflow.

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Keep it simple! No need to get fancy! I got the exact same tank pretty much… wish I had done the closed loop on mine but I was in a hurry.. couple drains and build a manifold on your return and be done… I got about 8ft of pvc pipe on my entire build lol..

Wen

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On my previous 150gal had 2 Trigger sumps connected with 3” bulkhead between them, a pump in each sump. Loved this set up! Redundancy and great flow throughout tank and sump.

Current tank, is a 270 peninsula. 2 return pumps again (lifesaver if 1 goes down). Check valves cause this sump holds 60gal, very helpful.
Next setup will have a bigger sump for sure.

Remember, when the power goes out, your skimmer and uv will most likely drain into sump…go big so you don’t have to worry.

With the addition of your frag tank, will 2 pumps have enough power?

I’d consider adding an additional sump and possibly another pump.

OP
OP
R33f_Hacker

R33f_Hacker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With the addition of your frag tank, will 2 pumps have enough power?
Hi, I have a Apex Cor20 (2000gph) and a jebao dct-6000 (1530 gph). I think that should be more than enough as 3000gph would give me a 9x turnover which is a lot. Even if I only get 2000gph that would be a 6.25x turnover.

Back