Missing fish

jp_75

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all
Is it normal that i don't see fish for few days? I bought Mandarin(ora) right before holidays. Saw it for few days and than disappeared! Another is Orange Stripe Goby who hides all the time. I mean I barely see the fish....
Checked ammonia just in case all good!
Am i too paranoid?
Thx

Joey waid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Little fish like that hide all the time. Saying that, manderins need to eat all the time. If your feeding it like the other fish it won't live long..

Josett Waid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have pods in there for him to eat? Or do you know if at your LFS he was eating mysis or something else?
But yes it is normal to not see him for a few days since he's getting adjusted to your tank but after a few more days I would get a little worried because mandarins usually swim around a lot on the sand and rocks looking for food. So just keep an eye out and watch for him.
Hope you find him! Keep us posted.

Va_Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd read that article by Paul B on mandarins.

It is normal to hide but depending on tank size you should in theory see both after a week or so; both aforementioned fish are high energy and can't sit and hide all day unless they're dying/dead.

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought a Royal Gramma and saw it the fisrt day. Then it was gone. Checked everywhere for that guy over the next couple of days.

Even shot a flash light into the live rock caves.

Nothing, figured he'd jumped overnight and my cat got him. :(

Well over a month later there he was! :)

Mel 2038

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree, fish and critters (by nature) like to hide. I added 5 peppermint shrimp to my tank, and I didn't see them again until I changed the aqua scape 9 months later, then there they were, all of them.

OP
OP
jp_75

jp_75

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mandarin was tank raised and very small. Lfs said it ate pallets mostly( mysis too.) I think i had many pods because i have had my tank going for 8-9 months and last 4 no fish at all(only shrimps,crabs,snails)
Never seen him eating mysis...He was moving all the time and i think was after pods. I know they eat and move constantly.
Are gobies hiding that much? Tried spot feeding and was good. I could see him all the time until today! Actually,yesterday i noticed he was going under one of the rocks.
Thx

BigHildy53

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Royal Gramma hid for about a month. But I did see where he was in the rock. Technically, my daughter found him.

My firefish hid for six weeks. Didn't see their hiding spots until they came out.

Josett Waid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mandarin was tank raised and very small. Lfs said it ate pallets mostly( mysis too.) I think i had many pods because i have had my tank going for 8-9 months and last 4 no fish at all(only shrimps,crabs,snails)
Never seen him eating mysis...He was moving all the time and i think was after pods. I know they eat and move constantly.
Are gobies hiding that much? Tried spot feeding and was good. I could see him all the time until today! Actually,yesterday i noticed he was going under one of the rocks.
Thx
Well that's good that he can eat mysis. I just didn't know how long your tank was up but since it's been up that long you should have a good population of pods.
My gobies hide in the rock so thats not out of character. But yeah just look out for him and he may just pop up in a few days. Nothing to worry about too much right now.

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thx
I wish you the best.
My (LFS) has had one forever in one of their large displays. He's the only one that I've seen that they got to eat mysis. Every time I go in there he's the first thing I check out. Then I go about my business.

OP
OP
jp_75

jp_75

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No sign of Mandarin since holidays.... Goby showed up like 2 weeks ago and no sign of him! Should I say bye bye to both?

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 40.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 27 20.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 36.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back