MITRAS LX7 vs. Radion XR...?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

salty150

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just wondering if there are any posts, or anything, regarding the differences, pros/cons, between the MITRAS LX7 vs. Radion XR G6...?

XR15 vs 7204 / XR30 vs 7206

telegraham

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
GHL gave me the Mitras several years ago, so the following is some hot shill action.

I had a Sky with two Gen 4 XR30s (the last great Radion) over my IM100, but I changed them out for one ReeFi Uno 2 and two Mitras 7206. The lights are 13" above the tank, and that's something you won't do with the G6 Radion without them filling the room with glare. The recessed diodes in reflectors of the Mitras and Uno greatly reduces any light spill in the room around the tank. I run my lights Sanjay style (all channels 100%) but I've created an AB+ for the Mitras. Just search "telegraham mitras ab+." You'll see it. These three lights combined give me the look I'm after, but check out ReefBum's peninsula for how well the lights with my AB+ grew corals for Keith.

Main differences...the Mitras give you mounting height flexibility without increasing glare. The spectrums are super similar. That's not a differentiator. The Mitras cost less without sacrificing build quality. The software is easy to navigate, but you'll need a PC to update firmware (for now). My Mitras are mounted to an RMS bar with 3D printed parts. Super easy.

I would not trade my Mitras for G6 Radions even if Ecotech gave them to me.

BeanAnimal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
GHL gave me the Mitras several years ago, so the following is some hot shill action.

I had a Sky with two Gen 4 XR30s (the last great Radion) over my IM100, but I changed them out for one ReeFi Uno 2 and two Mitras 7206. The lights are 13" above the tank, and that's something you won't do with the G6 Radion without them filling the room with glare. The recessed diodes in reflectors of the Mitras and Uno greatly reduces any light spill in the room around the tank. I run my lights Sanjay style (all channels 100%) but I've created an AB+ for the Mitras. Just search "telegraham mitras ab+." You'll see it. These three lights combined give me the look I'm after, but check out ReefBum's peninsula for how well the lights with my AB+ grew corals for Keith.

Main differences...the Mitras give you mounting height flexibility without increasing glare. The spectrums are super similar. That's not a differentiator. The Mitras cost less without sacrificing build quality. The software is easy to navigate, but you'll need a PC to update firmware (for now). My Mitras are mounted to an RMS bar with 3D printed parts. Super easy.

I would not trade my Mitras for G6 Radions even if Ecotech gave them to me.
So you have switched to all channels at 100% - from the AB+
How long ago? Just because of the UNO?

"grew corals for Keith" - is he still using them or is that past tense?

telegraham

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So you have switched to all channels at 100% - from the AB+
How long ago? Just because of the UNO?

"grew corals for Keith" - is he still using them or is that past tense?
It's been about a month at all channels 100%, I abandoned AB+ long ago, have been slowly transitioning to more of a 14000k look, not because of the Uno 2 (why that question?), and mainly because of Sanjay. I slid up the Mitras sliders, it looked great, then I did the same to the Uno 2. Both lights are well-balanced at 100%.

Keith reset his tank, he's still using them, and he will soon grow corals again. All that's available on his YouTube channel.

telegraham

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wasn’t sure if it was for better color blend or possibly a preference more toward the UNOs color rendering.
They're very similar, with the main difference being the Mitras' UV compared to the Uno 2's low violet. Regardless, they blend very well.

1713786463220.png

Pod_01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So not exactly what you are after but I have one 7206 and two XR15 G5 Blue over my tank:
1713837323160.jpeg

What I like with Radions:
- Easy to mount with the brackets.
- App is easy to use no issues with Mobius for me.
- App has profiles like AB+ so no need to figure out profile.

What I like with Mitras:
- Construction seems robust, metal case, the light puck placement looks good and is protected.
- has 3 fans for cooling so the heat management seems to be robust.
- App does work, not as bad as some other apps (like Syna-G Cloud).
- The power brick looks robust.
- Overall the feel is that this light will be here 100 years from now.

What I don’t like with Radeon:
-The plastic construction feels cheap (expensive toy).
- The cooling fan collect more dust, they need more vacuuming and I do remove the lights to get to the cooling fans.
- The LED look exposed

What I don’t like with Mitras:
- Mounting bracket is pain to install on running tank, if GHL had better mounting system there be two 7204 instead of the Radions on this tank.
- App has no profile pre programmed so you need to go one channel at a time. You need to know what light spectrum when using the app.
- I am Apple user, GHL is not making it easy for Apple users.

Overall both produce great light in my opinion so neither one is better in that regard.
I am not in a business of selling corals nor do I have extensive collection of lights to compare.

Good luck,

BeanAnimal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They're very similar, with the main difference being the Mitras' UV compared to the Uno 2's low violet. Regardless, they blend very well.

1713786463220.png
Thank you for the clarification.

Dave-T

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's been about a month at all channels 100%, I abandoned AB+ long ago, have been slowly transitioning to more of a 14000k look, not because of the Uno 2 (why that question?), and mainly because of Sanjay. I slid up the Mitras sliders, it looked great, then I did the same to the Uno 2. Both lights are well-balanced at 100%.

Keith reset his tank, he's still using them, and he will soon grow corals again. All that's available on his YouTube channel.
Would you mind articulating a bit more about the all channels 100% versus the AB+ spectrums? I am intrigued by this. Or is there a thread somewhere about this or an article by Sanjay?

telegraham

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would you mind articulating a bit more about the all channels 100% versus the AB+ spectrums? I am intrigued by this. Or is there a thread somewhere about this or an article by Sanjay?
No Sanjay thread or article of which I'm aware. I have no science to support what I'm doing, nor have I looked for any.

My personal view is that the pre-programmed options in lights are all BS. The spectrum differences are minimal at best.

Pin the UV to blues, adjust the whites/greens/reds to how you want the tank to look, and then set the intensity. In my case, I kept pushing the sliders of the Mitras and Uno 2, and it kept looking better. All three lights are now set balls to the wall from noon to 1700 with the velvet poster blacklight look making up the remainder of the 1000 - 2100 light cycle.

BeanAnimal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting - I have been somewhat working away from the general AB+ look but have not progressed nearly that far. Would be interested in your actual light project compared to mine to see the average intensity difference overall.

telegraham

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting - I have been somewhat working away from the general AB+ look but have not progressed nearly that far. Would be interested in your actual light project compared to mine to see the average intensity difference overall.

100% is all channels at 100%. Power at 70%. No balancing.
1714242084869.png

The 55.6% heavy blue is below:

Without getting the laptop out, this work?

BeanAnimal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Which is always confusing

"channel power" ---> "overall power for all channels" ----> "Overall power as a percentage of fixtures power supply" but that is even confusing based on thermal limits and allocated max power per channel.

Last edited:

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 10 35.7%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 11 39.3%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 6 21.4%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 1 3.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back