Mixed reef flow

2molly

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got a dominant lps tank, im interested in making it a mixed reef with sps too (some acro like milli, tenuis) how do you manage the flow there? Is all about placement? Look to me like a big challenge, worried about not giving much as required to sps, or giving too much to lps,I got a nero 5 pump setted on medium flow, i got like euphyllias, glabrescens and hammers, zoas and gonioporas.

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMO you have to have multiple power heads to try and get a nice random flow. I like to see tentacle swaying back and forth not just getting blown in one direction. I can't get it with just one. On a mixed reef I have sps up high and lps down low. I place the powerheads higher up for the sps and the lower lps and softies get what bounces off the rocks and wall. The tank in my showcase is setup like that and it has worked out well I think. No high end stuff tho.

mboley

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have a sump? If so you can split the output and use Locline ball valves, nozzles, and splitters to accommodate the SPS.

OP
OP

2molly

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMO you have to have multiple power heads to try and get a nice random flow. I like to see tentacle swaying back and forth not just getting blown in one direction. I can't get it with just one. On a mixed reef I have sps up high and lps down low. I place the powerheads higher up for the sps and the lower lps and softies get what bounces off the rocks and wall. The tank in my sho is setup like that and it has worked out well I think. No high end stu
IMG_2985.jpeg

but is a cube 70 gal, if is worth i can buy another powerhead, don’t know where to place it

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_2985.jpeg

but is a cube 70 gal, if is worth i can buy another powerhead, don’t know where to place it
If you want more flow for SPS maybe two on the back or one on each side. I ussualy end up playing around with placement until I get what I'm looking for so my advise isn't the best.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 30 21.7%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 2 1.4%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 100 72.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.3%
Back