Mixing barrel return design

tcorrell02

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I finally got my mixing station built. Dual 55 gallon barrels and an 800 gph pump. In the salt side the return comes in towards the top of the barrel, goes to the center and to the bottom where it tee's towards each side with elbows facing opposite directions to create a whirlpool to mix. The problem is salt still sits on the bottom of the barrel. I probably dumped the salt too fast, but figured the whirlwind would mix it. I removed the downpipe and drill 3 holes in the arms at the bottom, with little difference. Any suggestions other than bigger pump and dump the salt slower?

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not that you can do this but my exit is at the bottom. The pump recirculates the water dumping in at the top. Creates great flow. Never have to worry about dumping in salt too fast.

IMG_0787.jpeg

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bigger pump will solve the issue. Something with a little more oomph.

You could also try just having the elbows at the bottom where it will whirlpool without the outlets in the middle of the barrel. Your probably forcing more water out the middle then the bottom as water will take the path of least resistance.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 6 7.1%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 4.7%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 5.9%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 65 76.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 5.9%
Back