Mixing Dwarf Parrotfish Scarus sp.

Va_Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Due to a mixup with species, I currently have a princess parrotfish (Scarus taeniopterus) and have a Quoy's parrotfish (Scarus quoyi) on the way. For those that don't know, these are not like the large parrots you hear about contributing to sandy beaches, both of these species don't exceed 6-7" in length and are relatively reef safe.

There isn't much info on out there on these as it is, and was wondering if anyone has experience mixing them.

Attached is a picture of my quoyi.

IMG_3950.jpg

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got zero experience with either of those fish .... but I want some, LOL!

I'm currently putting together a 220 gallon tank, and S. quoyi is on my shortest of lists. I've seen video of two Quoy's parrots in a tank, and they seemed to be getting along, but both were males. (I've only seen one quick video and a single photograph of a female Quoy's parrot - they're grey, with five or so lighter bands.) I should imagine that if two Quoy's can get along, that a Quoy's and a princess (also a lovely fish!) ought to get along as well ... and maybe you'd get some displays such as fairy or flasher wrasses will provide when there are congenerics in the tank?

Anyway ... I'm subscribing to your thread!

~Bruce

OP
OP
Va_Reef

Va_Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love the personality of my princess parrotfish, very active and inquisitive and loves to eat algae/nori.

I think many people see parrotfish and assume either they get huge or munch on corals but that isn't the case for these two species, and possibly others in the genus.

Im looking forward to seeing how they get along and already have a home ready for the princess (smaller and cheaper) just in case.

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've tried adding a second parrot to an established one a couple of times. It didn't work either time. One was adding a quoyi to a quoyi and the other was adding a quoyi to a princess. In both cases the established parrot would chase and bite the newcomer, even if an acclimation box was used.

OP
OP
Va_Reef

Va_Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've tried adding a second parrot to an established one a couple of times. It didn't work either time. One was adding a quoyi to a quoyi and the other was adding a quoyi to a princess. In both cases the established parrot would chase and bite the newcomer, even if an acclimation box was used.
Oh boy...well I may just give up the princess now.

I would be adding them both relatively close together, if not at the same time, as I am in the middle of an upgrade. Do you think this would still pose a problem?

OP
OP
Va_Reef

Va_Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In one of the instances the quoyi was added within two weeks.
Just got the news that the quoyi died in QT last night, despite prazipro treatments and eating like a champ. Super bummed, won't be ordering another.

After further looking my princess may be a quoyi, so hard to tell though because it's still kind of juvenile to me.

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm sorry to hear that, Va_Reef!

Juvenile/female princess parrots are grey like Quoy's, but instead of vertical barring the princess has distinct horizontal striping, especially through the eye area.

~Bruce

OP
OP
Va_Reef

Va_Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm sorry to hear that, Va_Reef!

Juvenile/female princess parrots are grey like Quoy's, but instead of vertical barring the princess has distinct horizontal striping, especially through the eye area.

~Bruce
Thank you, there isn't any grey coloration on it. The only picture I have is in a bag with full stress colors the day of adding it. Let me know if you think otherwise.

IMG_3908.JPG

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you're right ... that looks like a Quoy's parrot!

What color are his pectoral fins? Princess parrots, as I recall, have yellowish pectorals, Quoy's are blue with a red strip. Princess parrots also seem to really keep that striped look around the eyes, and have an orange patch behind their pectorals.

I'm not really seeing that set of features here . . .

In any case, you have a beautiful parrotfish on your reef! (Take good care of him, and keep us posted on his progress!!)

~Bruce

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with maritimer. That's a quoyi. The face marking, pectoral and dorsal coloring and markings confirm that.

OP
OP
Va_Reef

Va_Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you're right ... that looks like a Quoy's parrot!

What color are his pectoral fins? Princess parrots, as I recall, have yellowish pectorals, Quoy's are blue with a red strip. Princess parrots also seem to really keep that striped look around the eyes, and have an orange patch behind their pectorals.

I'm not really seeing that set of features here . . .

In any case, you have a beautiful parrotfish on your reef! (Take good care of him, and keep us posted on his progress!!)

~Bruce

I agree with maritimer. That's a quoyi. The face marking, pectoral and dorsal coloring and markings confirm that.

Well thats cool, first quoyi I've seen under 3". The size was what made me to believe it wasn't a quoyi.

Thanks!

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gotta figure they start out pretty tiny . . .

~Bruce, wondering at what size they transition from juv. to female, from female to male ... and what their triggers are . . .

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And know what?

Also wondering why I've only ever seen _one_ quoyi in person! (At NY Aquatic - it was about 7-8" long, thick and beautiful - just about a year ago.) Obviously, there are at least a few around - they just don't seem to be around here. (6_6)

Other than that one, I've only ever seen them offered on Divers' Den. When I'm ready for one, where else should I be looking?

~Bruce

OP
OP
Va_Reef

Va_Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gotta figure they start out pretty tiny . . .

~Bruce, wondering at what size they transition from juv. to female, from female to male ... and what their triggers are . . .

Yeah it makes sense all fish start small, but there are some fish that you can only find large, like crosshatch triggers. And the quoyis for the most part. My understanding is that they transition at smaller sizes than other species in the genus. Similar to majestic angels in relation to other pomocanthus species.
And know what?

Also wondering why I've only ever seen _one_ quoyi in person! (At NY Aquatic - it was about 7-8" long, thick and beautiful - just about a year ago.) Obviously, there are at least a few around - they just don't seem to be around here. (6_6)

Other than that one, I've only ever seen them offered on Divers' Den. When I'm ready for one, where else should I be looking?

~Bruce
I imagine it may have to do with the cost, uncertainty of getting an actual quoyi, and their relative hardiness. It seems like any one with a reasonable vendor can order them, but most don't. One person I talked to says their whole sale has had 4 or 5 weekly.

surgeon1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm very late to this thread but I did add a orange belt parrotfish to my 700 which contained a smaller princess parrotfish. both fish are doing well with little aggression 3 months later.

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting, Surgeon1 . . . I wonder if the tank size has anything to do with that. 700 gallons is a healthy box of water!

Also, wouldn't mind seeing a photo of that fish. I asked "Google", and it tossed me a random assortment of Quoy's and bicolor parrots, parrot cichlids, fashion accessories to be worn at the waist - and a couple of photos that _might_ be your fish. (All of _those_ photos appeared to have been taken at a Chinese seafood market! :eek: )

~Bruce

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 54 40.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 20.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 35.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back