Mollies for algae control

ThRoewer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
probably a stretch... but does anyone know if they eat bubble algae? :X
Emerald crabs are the weapon of choice against bubble algae. I ordered a number of them from a place in Florida and they eliminated all the normal sized ones. Only the handful of extra large ones (quarter size or bigger) were too large for them. But those were easy to remove by hand.

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Emerald crabs are the weapon of choice against bubble algae. I ordered a number of them from a place in Florida and they eliminated all the normal sized ones. Only the handful of extra large ones (quarter size or bigger) were too large for them. But those were easy to remove by hand.
But emerald crabs pop the algae and spread it. Tangs and rabbitfish are better.

xxkenny90xx

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Super old thread but fwiw I have kept maybe 10 mollies in saltwater. 2 died by the next day, the rest did fine. I just temp acclimate them and drop them in

ThRoewer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But emerald crabs pop the algae and spread it. Tangs and rabbitfish are better.
It's a complete myth that poping bubble algae releases their spores. The bubble algae in my tank are gone for a good while now and I have not seen the slightest signs of a resurgence.
Tangs and rabbitfish generally don't touch bubble algae. My foxfaces barely even show interest in algae, let alone GHA, since they learned that there are regular feedings. I actually got to starve the whole tank to get these guys hungry enough to entertain to notion of picking algae from rocks...

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's a complete myth that poping bubble algae releases their spores. The bubble algae in my tank are gone for a good while now and I have not seen the slightest signs of a resurgence.
Tangs and rabbitfish generally don't touch bubble algae. My foxfaces barely even show interest in algae, let alone GHA, since they learned that there are regular feedings. I actually got to starve the whole tank to get these guys hungry enough to entertain to notion of picking algae from rocks...
Oh.

xxkenny90xx

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Time to pop some bubble algae as it the most satisfying thing.
I'm not sure that it's a myth. Where do you think it goes when you pop it? It just disappears? Riiight....

ThRoewer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not sure that it's a myth. Where do you think it goes when you pop it? It just disappears? Riiight....
What do you actually know about these algae and their reproduction?
The bubble algae (Valonia ventricosa) is actually a single-cell organism and it reproduces by sending out rizomes like Caulerpa (which is also a single-cell organism) or division where it sends out split off daughter cells.
Producing spores would happen in the same way as when Caulerpa "goes sexual" and involve the mother cell dying in the process. And sexual reproduction always requires 2 cells to do this in sync, otherwise you would have also Caulerpa poping up everywhere after going sexual, something I have not yet heared about.

Hugh Mann

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I currently have 6 black mollies in my 55.
They do eat algae, but are more inclined to devour flake, brine, pellets, pods and nori before algae.
They're also huge jerks to my other fish, so I will be removing them as soon as their new home cycles.

xxkenny90xx

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What do you actually know about these algae and their reproduction?
The bubble algae (Valonia ventricosa) is actually a single-cell organism and it reproduces by sending out rizomes like Caulerpa (which is also a single-cell organism) or division where it sends out split off daughter cells.
Producing spores would happen in the same way as when Caulerpa "goes sexual" and involve the mother cell dying in the process. And sexual reproduction always requires 2 cells to do this in sync, otherwise you would have also Caulerpa poping up everywhere after going sexual, something I have not yet heared about.
Oooh big words, good job! From what I understand you can pop the stuff all day and you'll usually be fine but if you happen to pop some more mature algae you may have an issue with it spreading if it is able to settle in a suitable location

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oooh big words, good job! From what I understand you can pop the stuff all day and you'll usually be fine but if you happen to pop some more mature algae you may have an issue with it spreading if it is able to settle in a suitable location
Makes sense.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 104 75.9%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 10.9%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 5.8%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back