montipora good choice for first sps?

jtf74

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had saltwater tanks for a while off and on but mostly fish centered with some easy softies and bta's. I've not had any major troubles really there. I had been running one cheap black box led light just the minimum for the fish and corals. My tank is 180 gallons and I have now got new better lighting (3 hydra 52's and four t5's. ) and wanting to try montipora because of cost, fast growth rate, and the variety available. Are there any specific monti's that are a little more hardy or that I should avoid?

Last edited by a moderator:

JoJosReef

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had saltwater tanks for a while off and on but mostly fish centered with some easy softies and bta's. I've not had any major troubles really there. I had been running one cheap black box led light just the minimum for the fish and corals. My tank is 180 gallons and I have now got new better lighting (3 hydra 52's and four t5's. ) and wanting to try montipora because of cost, fast growth rate, and the variety available. Are there any specific monti's that are a little more hardy or that I should avoid?
I've had good luck with setosas and digis. Encrusters have been more challenging, but that may have to do with poor placement. Setosas seem extremely hardy and tolerant of a wide range of PAR settings.

If you're looking for other beginner SPS, birdsnests, stylophora, potato chip pavonas and beanching psammacora are all great.

Last edited by a moderator:

KC2020

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Monti's are all pretty easy to grow so pick one you like. Water parameters are going to need to be consistent with a stable pH and enough alk and cal for it to grow.

Once it does it'll grow quickly so be aware that it's going to plate which will block the light of anything beneath it.

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The fast growth needs to be supported by adding alk and calk in a manner that prevents swings in those parameters to be successful long term.

The easiest montipora for me were the branching varieties or the plating monties, the branching grew slower and that made them easier to keep up with as far as the parameter changes.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 66 35.3%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.2%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 48 25.7%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 59 31.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.3%
Back