More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

Is there a pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 39 17.6%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 38 17.2%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 43 19.5%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 93 42.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 3.6%

• Total voters

ChrisfromBrick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Blue Spotted Toby Puffer in my 70 gallon reef tank. I have a fair amount of mixed corals and a Kole Tang, a Coral Beauty Angel, a Violet Dottyback, 3 PJ Cardinals, a Percula Clownfish, a skunk cleaner shrimp and some assorted snails and a pincushion urchin. I have had the puffer for about 6 months. I do have a couple of leather toadstools with long tentacles that look like they were eaten and a couple of zoas that got damaged. I have not seen anything eating them so I don't really know if it was the puffer or the coral beauty or the Urchin or something else??? Most of my corals are and other inhabitants are fine. Since I got the puffer, my cleaner shrimp hides more, where he used to be front and center. The puffer loves me and follows me around the room which is cool. He bites me when I put my hands in the tank, which is not cool.
they have teeth on them. Does it hurt?

cre1024

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
how big a tank do people keep an average sized puffer?
As with almost anything in this hobby, there are a lot of variables. What type of puffer, what else is in the tank, etc. My GSP is in a 55g. He's probably the smallest puffer that can be found in a reef tank, and I wouldn't really go much smaller. You could probably do a blue spotted in a similar size tank if there wasn't much else in there, but probably not advised.

AydenLincoln

Pufferfish lover!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
they have teeth on them. Does it hurt?
Yes especially porcupine puffers lol!
IMG_7257.jpeg

kdx7214

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a porcupine puffer in a tank by himself around 30 years ago. He was an awesome fish and had a huge personality. I miss him, but my current tank has lots of things one would munch on, so won't be able to have another... at least until I can afford a tank just for one.

Reefkeepers Archive

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A bit unconventional, but this green spotted puffer is the reason I have a reef tank in the first place. I got this fella for my classroom tank in 2022, when it was a freshwater tank. After learning I would be teaching Environmental Science this school year, I started transitioning the water to brackish, then eventually full marine. The tank is now doing great as a mixed-reef tank, and the GSP is still a centerpiece
1000021301.jpg
20240111_085946.jpg
I'm sorry, but is that a ray!?!?! How big is that tank! Anyway remove the fake plant lower left and it's perfect :)

Reefkeepers Archive

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You truly haven’t experienced the joy of owning an aquarium until you get a pufferfish. They are one of the smartest most personable fish you can keep.
8E258451-5085-4C05-9F6A-59FF6323CB00.jpeg
I'd say the two most personable/intelligent/interactive fish are puffers and, if you can get one that dosent hate you and all life on this planet, triggers. Eventually I maybe want to get a bluethroat pair for my system.

Anyway how long have you had hewbie?

AydenLincoln

Pufferfish lover!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I'd say the two most personable/intelligent/interactive fish are puffers and, if you can get one that dosent hate you and all life on this planet, triggers. Eventually I maybe want to get a bluethroat pair for my system.

Over a year now. I got him in February of last year.

AydenLincoln

Pufferfish lover!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

He was just a little scared nugget when I got him! Smaller than the heater he’s grown up so much!
IMG_7258.jpeg

cre1024

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Can someone please tell me.
My GSP hasn't touched any of my soft corals. Just recent got some lps and he has no interest. Snails and hermits are another story. If they flip on their backs, they're fair game. For the most part though, if his belly is filled up, he doesn't bother anyone. BUT many people have not been so lucky, as they much coral and nip fish fins indiscriminately lol.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 30 27.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 35 31.8%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 35 31.8%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 7 6.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.7%
Back