Mount elegance coral on rocks!!?

EakTheFreak

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good Morning Reefers,

I’ve had my elegance coral for about 1-1/2 years. Ever since getting my 3 leopard wrasses my elegance keeps lifting out of the sand and I have to push back into the sand and move it.

It has been almost an every other day routine. NOT SO FUN!

Long story short, has anyone glued their elegance coral to a rock? Any suggestions on how to mount the elegance coral on rock? Will this limit the growth of the base of the elegance?

HAPPY NEW YEAR

Matt
EakTheFreak
@Eak_The_Freaks_Reef - Instagram

131 Gallon DT
WaterBox 170.4/5
Mixed Reef

JumboShrimp

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a very beautiful, long elegance completely bail out if it’s skeleton once. I never could get it to attach to anything, (such as rubberbanded to rocks.) Although it stayed intact on the sandbed for a while, over time it just broke up and eventually disintegrated. It was a shame.

sfairtx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a similar issue with my elegance and some of my wrasses. I put a small piece of PVC into the sand (only leaving a little bit above) and place my elegance in that. Been working for me. Lights are still off on my reef. If I can remember to take a picture later I will. Good luck. They are beautiful coral!

OP
OP
EakTheFreak

EakTheFreak

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a very beautiful, long elegance completely bail out if it’s skeleton once. I never could get it to attach to anything, (such as rubberbanded to rocks.) Although it stayed intact on the sandbed for a while, over time it just broke up and eventually disintegrated. It was a shame.
dang that sucks. How long did you actually have it for? Any idea where it came from, like which country?

OP
OP
EakTheFreak

EakTheFreak

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a similar issue with my elegance and some of my wrasses. I put a small piece of PVC into the sand (only leaving a little bit above) and place my elegance in that. Been working for me. Lights are still off on my reef. If I can remember to take a picture later I will. Good luck. They are beautiful coral!
Look forward to seeing that picture! Wondering what the PVC looks like & diameter of it.

OP
OP
EakTheFreak

EakTheFreak

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Still hoping to see a photo of this small PVC going into the sand!

LatchedWings

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had an elegance for a few months that looks great, I just sat the skeleton in a shallow rock crevace near the bottom of the tank. It's too big for anything to really knock it off.

OP
OP
EakTheFreak

EakTheFreak

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had an elegance for a few months that looks great, I just sat the skeleton in a shallow rock crevace near the bottom of the tank. It's too big for anything to really knock it off.
Do you have a photo of it by chance?

OP
OP
EakTheFreak

EakTheFreak

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like elegance in the sand. Try cutting a 1/4 pvc pipe to burry in the sand and place the elegance in that. It wont calcify, but it wont move around or be knocked over in the sand
If it doesn’t calcify does that mean its growth will stop where it is?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
My elegance has been in sand its entire time and has grown 8x the size

DrufusReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it doesn’t calcify does that mean its growth will stop where it is?
No. Elagance is an LPS. While it has a stony base its growth is in the Polyp. As long as it's in a secure place, getting its light and (maybe) a little bit of feeding it will grow perfectly

OP
OP
EakTheFreak

EakTheFreak

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No. Elagance is an LPS. While it has a stony base its growth is in the Polyp. As long as it's in a secure place, getting its light and (maybe) a little bit of feeding it will grow perfectly
I still thought the base had to grow with it. I still like the idea of PVC pipe buried in sand anyway. Tired of that sucker moving around. My Blue Star Leopard Wrasses love to kick up the sand!

uhgster1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s exactly what I did with mine. I used a 1 inch piece of pvc, glued it to the rock, and glued the base of the elegance to it. Elegances (at least mine) have a cone shaped skeleton, which allowed me to put about two inches of it into the pvc. When it’s open you can’t tell. I tried to take a picture for you now that it’s dark but it’s still too open. If you want a better one later let me know.
This is a night time pic. I tried to get it from the back but that’s about 3 1/2 inches from the base of the polyp to the sand, which is about two inches deep.
94C2CF8C-5BE8-410F-99F3-3CF77463463C.jpeg

The other is obviously daylight but you can see how open and happy it is. I hope this helps.
DD389016-A7B5-44AF-8971-AA63C5D3AB39.jpeg

OP
OP
EakTheFreak

EakTheFreak

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s exactly what I did with mine. I used a 1 inch piece of pvc, glued it to the rock, and glued the base of the elegance to it. Elegances (at least mine) have a cone shaped skeleton, which allowed me to put about two inches of it into the pvc. When it’s open you can’t tell. I tried to take a picture for you now that it’s dark but it’s still too open. If you want a better one later let me know.
This is a night time pic. I tried to get it from the back but that’s about 3 1/2 inches from the base of the polyp to the sand, which is about two inches deep.
94C2CF8C-5BE8-410F-99F3-3CF77463463C.jpeg

The other is obviously daylight but you can see how open and happy it is. I hope this helps.
DD389016-A7B5-44AF-8971-AA63C5D3AB39.jpeg
Awesome, this is exactly what I will be doing. Appreciate it!!

tdlawdo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good Morning Reefers,

I’ve had my elegance coral for about 1-1/2 years. Ever since getting my 3 leopard wrasses my elegance keeps lifting out of the sand and I have to push back into the sand and move it.

It has been almost an every other day routine. NOT SO FUN!

Long story short, has anyone glued their elegance coral to a rock? Any suggestions on how to mount the elegance coral on rock? Will this limit the growth of the base of the elegance?

HAPPY NEW YEAR

Matt
EakTheFreak
@Eak_The_Freaks_Reef - Instagram

131 Gallon DT
WaterBox 170.4/5
Mixed Reef

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 33 26.8%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 40 32.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 37 30.1%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.3%
Back