Moving 47 year old reef 60 miles. OMG

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, I just took a video. The mandarin is only in the beginning for a few seconds and you can't see the bluestripe pipefish as they are giving birth and stay hidden when they do that. You also can't see the possum wrasse and two Gecko gobies that never come out. But they are there as well as a huge urchin, decorator crab, anemone crab and numerous other crabs.

It is good to say how fast your display biofiltration has matured. The coke bottle in the substrate is too real. During my first clam collecting, last summer in Long Island Sound, I went barefoot in the sand.

I thought about you this morning as I watched a drawf angel graze on a live mussel shell. I buy live aquacultured mussels from HEB seafood counter < $0.10 each. They stay fresh in refrigerator for about a week. I normally buy a dozen. This week I decided to make a shrimp creole and used mussel for a stock. I normally feed two live mussels each day. The deep water gorgonions & Sea Apple respond immediately to this food. As an experiment, I added two live mussels to the tank. They did not survive but I was pleasantly surprised to see hordes of copepods devouring mussel flesh with fish grazing near by.

JumboShrimp

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
3526E0FA-57D5-47F2-BB16-519A2C203FAD.jpeg

Wow! They looked so large in the video, I never would have guessed Clowns. Thanks for the info!

Last edited:

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
image.jpg
@Paul B
As a soldier of great valor, I have always respected you for that courage and determination I have come to know you for over a 15 year period of hobby forums and your book. Your humor is inciteful and just that, funny. May we enjoy clams on the beach and in our reef tanks.

https://www.kidsoutdoorzone.com/
I wish to share some very recent events which are a great joy in my life. I am setting up this 20G high tank at church utility building ( CUB ) in a few days. I am also joining Kids Outdoor Zone as a volunteer mentor to foster confidence & leadership skills in youth age 6-18. My previous volunteer service work was prison ministry. The kid are fun and I will stick with fun. The lead pastor is also an outdoorsmen, Texas cowboys are everywhere. My first invite to KOZ was to shoot at a members private range. The female mentors surprised me to no end. I initially was on the kitchen diva crew as the only male. Two very proper and demure Devi Angels from the church kitchen crew showed up at the shooting range. Both shot better than I, except with the AK47. These Texacans like their guns. As an Aggie, I am barely above the social status of Cajun. However, when it comes to eating and “passing a good time”, these cowboys have no barriers. I am a dang good cook, that opens a lot of camp outs.

Management at a new church for me has asked me to develope “aquatic science awareness” and environmental consciousness. Lead pastor is favorable to AquacultureRanch mission statement of “sustainable practices” and has cautiously allowed me to proceed with seeking a mariculture apprentice from youth group that are interested. Three months ago, my daughter presented me with a corporate contract to set up and maintain a senior living large scale development of a 70 acre facility. I considered using third party contractors but decided too much headache for a retired person. On a different level, I am excited to mentor the “leaders of tomorrow” and will embrace working with youth. So much energy and so much fun.

A friend that has operated a reef maintenance company for 25 years in Austin is interested in developing SOP ( Standard Operatig Procedures ) for reef service technician. His one man and a cat commpany has too many service contracts and he doesn’t have time to train. As a Senior Subsea Engineer, I wrote standards of skilllevels and SOP as part of the job of operations staff engineer. When I recently searched for job discription of reef tank technician, most jobs came up in Florida. Florida Agriculture Department is further divided into Aquaculture. I will network a little to see what is currently available there?

I may even start a thread on this website. There is much academia represented at r2r and mountains of experience.

Take care of the titanium, my friend.

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Patrick. I wish you good luck in this. I have spoke in South Hampton here and am invited again to speak to grammar school kids about ocean water pollution. It is fun talking to kids as thy are all ears and want to learn. Teenagers just want to text about how bored they are. :eek:

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It seems the move is over and all is well. The elevator is in, the algae scrubber is in, the UG filter is working, the lights are on. The painting is done and I re-built a lot of the house the way we want it. My starter wife is still with me and sometimes still likes me.

We just got back from getting "Free Flu Shots". We went to CVS Pharmacy where they have huge signs outside that read "Free Flu Shots", No waiting.

So after we went in and waited, we got the Free shots for $27.99. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

erk

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It seems the move is over and all is well. The elevator is in, the algae scrubber is in, the UG filter is working, the lights are on. The painting is done and I re-built a lot of the house the way we want it. My starter wife is still with me and sometimes still likes me.

We just got back from getting "Free Flu Shots". We went to CVS Pharmacy where they have huge signs outside that read "Free Flu Shots", No waiting.

So after we went in and waited, we got the Free shots for $27.99. :rolleyes:

So glad the tank is back up and running. Love it.

And your experience at CVS is the exact reason I no longer go to them. They made me wait 5 hours to see a nurse practitioner that told me I didn't have a sinus infection but would prescribe antibiotics anyway. Thankfully she did because the antibiotics cleared up the infection quickly. Then CVS billed me 3 months later with no explanation. Now I go anywhere else, even if my insurance doesn't cover it. I hate CVS.

mmw64

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Millennials want to drink coffee and spill it on themselves so they can sue the owner because they didn't know the coffee was hot. I think when someone sues for something stupid like that, they aught to dismiss the case and pour hot coffee on the lawyer. And if you trip on my sidewalk, it is because you should look where you are walking and stop texting. Kiss a girl, read a book made of paper, change your own oil, look up occasionally and go outside.

70s were cool but the 60s were a bash. I was born in the 40s. Yes, the universe goes back that far. The 60s were when men were Men and not Sissies. Girls looked like girls and dressed really "Snazzy". Yes that was a word. You got into fights, sometimes you won, some times you lost. You didn't text emogies at each other. :eek:

I would be your best friend if you brought over Linguini and clams. But I am going out to my marine right now for that.

They are having a barbecue at the marina tomorrow with fireworks. Should be nice. :D
Me too, Paul!

mmw64

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I knew there had to be people like me out there, that just want lights that turn on and off!!

I had some lights with all the options, and guess what, didn't use those options. I switched back to t5 with an outlet timer, and couldn't be happier. One less thing to fiddle with.
I agree.

mmw64

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank now is full of diatoms. I could say I am "Battling" them but they really just sit there and don't fight back. Normally I would like this as it is a challenge, but I don't have time now and the front glass looks like sheet metal 10 minutes after I clean it.
This is from the Long Island Peconic bay water which had more diatoms then water, but it is fine and makes the hobby enjoyable. If it didn't do these interesting things, I would take up golf. (God Forbid) :eek:

6 years old yesterday. My Grand Daughter, not my tank. :D

She is beautiful!

RichtheReefer21

Scrap Yard Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Happy anniversary to you and the Mrs.

Not sure why the notifications stopped.

Back to bother u now :)

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you and Good Morning. Today is my 46th wedding anniversary. We were invited to a great Italian party last night with a couple of hundred people, great food and a Dean martin Impersonator and a guy who sung like Pavarotti.

Too much food and drinking so today my fish can take care of themselves and order take out. I threw my credit card in my tank. :cool:

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 2 3.9%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 1 2.0%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 2 3.9%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 43 84.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 5.9%
Back