moving clam from rock

Dorado

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I placed my dersea clam in a clam cradle about a year ago when it was 2", but now it is close to 6" and is out growing the cradle. I want to just put it on the sand bed but its foot is attached to the cradle. Any ideas on how to get the clam to release?

mike550

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I placed my dersea clam in a clam cradle about a year ago when it was 2", but now it is close to 6" and is out growing the cradle. I want to just put it on the sand bed but its foot is attached to the cradle. Any ideas on how to get the clam to release?
Can you move the clam and cradle into the sand bed? I’m usually not this person but if the clam is thriving and doesn’t seem to mind the cradle — why the change?

OP
OP
Dorado

Dorado

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you move the clam and cradle into the sand bed? I’m usually not this person but if the clam is thriving and doesn’t seem to mind the cradle — why the change?
The cradle is on the sandbed. I've just read that derasas like to be placed on the sand along with the fact that the clam is getting too big for the cradle. I'm not really pushing the issue, I'm just curious if it can be safely done.

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yes it can be safely done, I've never done it, but I remember reading a thread just a couple of weeks ago from some folks that have done it.

@OrionN is a clam master, perhaps he can share some info

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If a clam is attaching to something small like that let it be. Just move the clam and that cradle if needed.
If you really want to remove the cradle, there is no need, you need a sharp knife of a pair of scissors. Tilt the clam to one side cut the threads you see, then tilt the clam on the other side and cut what you see. Keep on doing this until you remove the rock. Be careful just cut the threads not the byssal gland.
it is easy as the threads are cut the clam will loose it’s grip and you can tilt it further each time without putting a lot of force.

minus9

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I agree, just leave the clam be and it will eventually release itself from the cradle. Remember, as it gets bigger it will lose all byssal attachment and just use its weight to keep it in place. If you want to cut it free, then follow @OrionN instructions. Always cut at the place of attachment and not from the shell/clam.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 14 5.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 139 57.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 17 7.1%
Back