Moving Sps Tank: 12 hour drive

CltBadger

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey,

So I have to move to Fort Lauderdale due to may job and I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions on how to move a 60 gallon sps tank? The drive is approximately 12 hours, I'm also a little concerned with the low temperature in NC at the moment.

Vinman

Brewing is worth it
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Putting existing water into large plastic bin with baitwell pump a 12 volt battery be careful on those hard left-hand turns LOL
No but seriously the bait well pump with a 12-volt battery will last the whole Drive SPS need really good water flow hopefully you won't be too tired to set up when you get there

immortl

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tubs/buckets, inverter to power pumps and maybe smaller heater (make sure inverter is rated high enough to run it). I had 6hr drive when I moved my 30g, didn't worry about heater. All went well, no losses.

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is all this going in a trailer, or a temp controlled environment?

If not temp controlled, it gets tricky. But hey, all the online coral/fish vendors manage it. Cut 'em, bag 'em, styrofoam and heat packs.

Otherwise if you can manage it, @immortl has it.

Flow first, but temp matters also. Five or ten degrees slowly up down, won't kill them. But after that you are pushing it for fish & corals.

The rock & sand just need to stay wet and unfrozen.

Crystal clear

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I moved 10 hours once in middle of winter from 20 degree weather to 70 degree weather. Final destination was south Florida as well. I broke the tank down the night before, put the fish and large rock in a brute garbage can, and all the sps and other rock in 5 gallon bucks and some coolers. I cranked up the heat in the house and the last thing to go in the front of the moving truck was the coral and fish out of the house into the truck. The move went fine, the first thing out of the truck was the tank and corals and I quickly set out the 50 gallon tank and put every thing back in the tank. I made sure I used new sand, because old and will spike your levels and I had 50% of my tank water to poor back in the cleaned tank. Everything loved all of the many sps colonies and fish. I did clean the tank and pumps and sump with vinegar before we moved. I noticed if you don’t things start to die out of water for that long like coralline and other algae and you get an ammonia spike if you don’t clean the tank.

drawman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How did this go? I will be moving 6hrs this Summer and am debating if it is worth it.

OP
OP
CltBadger

CltBadger

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I lost 11 of my acros but I think it was mostly due to how cold the move date was. Half way through the trip the water was really cold and I'm a little surprised I didn't lose all of them. I'm assuming the heater gave out early during the move.

Fortunately and suprisingly the more expensive acros survived!

Fishingandreefing

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another good idea is to get a backup battery so that you can hook up a pump and heater. Mine is one of those computer back up battery it last 8 hours.

Bretth282

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Moved from Texas to Washington, bagged up all corals like you would if you shipped them in a styrofoam cooler, rock w/ CUC in a sealed rubber made in the back seat with a bit of water ( maybe 3-5 gallons), And off we went. Trip total from boxed up to unboxed was 30hrs w/ a 4 hr snooze. Everything survived (though I felt near dead) Fish, sps, Lps, and cuc. I traveled in the beginning of summer though and had A/C in the rig to somewhat help manage temps...

ZoWhat

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Use R2R search function using keywords "moving tank" and you'll have 147hrs of reading to do ;Bookworm

Well documented

jcolliii

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I moved from western MA to southern CA. I built an eggcrate divider, had a recirculating pump, and everything went into a plastic insulated cooler that was cleaned out well with a salt scrub and then rinsed with RODI several times. I bought an 600w (IIRC) inverter, which was enough to run a heater and the pump. Took 3 days. Every night the cooler went onto a wheeled moving cart, and was dragged into the motel. That is where the eggcrate divider really prevented things from getting mashed up.

It was a lot of work, but I did not loose one thing. Had a few breaks though. Had some pics in my photobucket back in the day, but those are gone now. I know this is a bit late for the OP, but might be helpful down the road for someone.

Tuan Vu

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bag them and pack them up in styrofoam boxes with temp control pads, load them up and go. Similar to then being shipped.

Brice Wagner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bag them and pack them up in styrofoam boxes with temp control pads, load them up and go. Similar to then being shipped.
Hi Tuan. It's Brice!

Looks like I may be attempting a move to Boca Raton. I guess this is doable. Curious, are there moving companies that do this? I mean if relocation is paid for and the company has a DOA clause.... Anyway, when it's more solid I'm going to post again for specific advice.

Wags

Tuan Vu

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Brice, keep us posted on your move. We’ll come visit (the entire WhatsApp group! )

I think any aquarium servicing company would be able to help. Capital aquarium in Manassas is one I can think of. Alternatively, I’d ask Duke (Ocean Garden), he does installs and could probably help as well.

MD to FL isn’t a bad drive and your tank isnt too big. Shouldnt be bad.

Protein Skimmers – Are They Really Necessary?

• YES

Votes: 88 54.0%
  • NO

Votes: 50 30.7%
  • Not Sure

Votes: 22 13.5%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 3 1.8%
Back