Moving, & taking Tank with me.

Jojo92

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I've got a 25 gallon tank that i'm bringing with me on a smaller move. The drive between locations takes about a half hour.

I think I've come up with a basic process: set up a temporary rubber bin set up (would be 3-4 hours max that my fish and any coral are in it), move most tank water into my 5 gallon bins to transfer. Move rest of water and sand into another rubber bin; transfer water and sand with empty fish tank to new location first and then assemble.

Come back, move fish all at once.

sooo... this leaves me with some questions. lol.

1. would they need a filter set up in the rubber bins? What would be a cheap version to use if so?

2. same with heater --- but i'm nervous about leaving a heater if there's no circulation in the buckets?

3. any tips, comments, notes to make this process easier?

Thanks!

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

sooo... this leaves me with some questions. lol.

1. would they need a filter set up in the rubber bins? What would be a cheap version to use if so?

2. same with heater --- but i'm nervous about leaving a heater if there's no circulation in the buckets?

3. any tips, comments, notes to make this process easier?

Thanks!
1 No filter needed
2 Put a very warm water bottle in the bin to keep it warm, or tape it to the outside. Maybe after the first hour. Prob will not lose much heat in S. CAL.

TexanCanuck

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
last year I hired someone to move my 130 gal tank for me. I expected them to show up with fancy equipment and special tricks ... what they did was very similar to what you are describing.

In my case, they moved my fish in a Brute 50 gal garbage container mounted on wheels. They only filled the container half full, and didn't use a heater.

However, as soon as they got to my new place they dropped an air stone into the container.

My fish were in the container for about 4 hours and were totally fine.

My only guidance would be to put the fish into the largest container you can safely move ... for no other reason than the larger water volume will hold the heat for longer.

As for which container to use, just about anything is fine as long as it is CLEAN (don't use soap to clean it! Use vinegar and rinse it with RO water). Again, I like the Brute garbage cans you can buy from your local Home Depot/Lowes.

If you really do need to stick to 5 gallon containers for your fish, I'd suggest you go to your LFS and purchase one of those cheap 20W heaters for a 5 gal aquarium and drop it in your bucket as soon as you get to your new place to keep the fish warm while you get things set up. A simple air stone and air pump will also help increase oxygen levels and get you some water circulation.

With a 20W heather in a gallon bucket you don't need to worry about having a pump to give you water movement ... the heat output is small enough that it won't cause problems.

Bnutz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If using a truck or trailer with a 25 gallon. You could just use a brute with wheels for livestock and almost all the tank water, or a Rubbermaid on a moving dolly. Put the rocks and any bio media in a separate 5 gallon and keep wet. Leave the sand in the tank and place it on a yoga mat. Have 10 gallons or so of water made at the new place. With a 30 min drive and pack up time you could have it moved in a few hours, no heater necessary unless it's super cold. Fish and corals are stronger than we give them credit. My tanks dropped to 60F for 3 days when I was without heat, I got lucky and only lost 1 torch.

CMMorgan

Counting my blessings...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I +1 or 2 or 3 on the airstone. Overall, I think that is the best thing that you can do. Can't hurt to put a little prime in the buckets... considering the small space.

OP
OP
Jojo92

Jojo92

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I mean to say I was using the 5 gallon buckets for the water lol. I’d probably keep the fish in a Rubbermaid container most likely. I just didn’t know if I should by something for circulation. I’ll get an air stone tho! Thanks for that.

I’m moving into an upstairs unit though- so it can’t be too full when making the final move as it’s going to have to be lifted.

Palytosis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bring every drop of water. New water will have different chemistry and everything will be stressed enough without that changing too.

Battery powered air pumps are cheap and perfect for this.

Don't worry too much about the temp. As long as it goes down slowly and goes back up slowly you will be fine.

Sniff the sand as you remove it. Any nasty smells and I would just toss it and get new sand later.

DaddyFish

“5 percenter”
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 on the smelly sand, where the puffers go. Don't use the smelly sand and don't bother trying to wash it either. Just buy more because it's way cheaper than dead fish.

laverda

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would leave the sand undisturbed unless you plan on cleaning it. Pick up a battery powered air pump or two. I just use a piece of rigid air line to reach One for the fish bucket and one for the corals. I don’t use the air stone. Cover the one with the fish to prevent jumping. Wrap with blankets if very cold out.

Back