Moving the eggs tonight -2 questions

SueAndHerZoo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think my clownfish eggs are going to hatch tomorrow but in case the larvae didn't read the manual that tells them to hatch on day 8, I want to move the eggs tonight to make sure they don't hatch early and get eaten by their parents. I've set up a very small, bare-bottom container for them and will fill that with the water they're in now tonight right before the transfer. My questions are:

When I take their flower pot (it's actually a small vase so no hole in the bottom) and put it into their new home, the water is going to gush into it and I'm afraid that may dislodge or damage the eggs. I will, of course, try to let the water enter the pot very slowly but I'm still worried about them getting ruined in the process. Should I be, or am I worrying too much?

I need to keep the eggs aerated and agitated tonight when I take them away from their Dad. I was going to use gentle bubbling from an air hose but I understand that since the eggs are INSIDE the flower pot, that's not going to work great (according to the book that was suggested to me). They suggest a powerhead, instead, but that would be too much equipment and too much flow in this tiny new tank. Why can't I stick the end of the air hose into the flower pot in a way that they sway the eggs but not dislodge them?

Nervous but excited. There aren't many eggs left, maybe 30-40? Is that normal or is it because the parents are new at this?
Sue

Ingenuity against algae: Do you use DIY methods for controlling nuisance algae?

• I have used DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 32 50.8%
  • I use commercial methods for controlling algae, but never DIY methods.

Votes: 12 19.0%
  • I have not used commercial or DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 14 22.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 7.9%
Back