MRS, what's next?

BShells

BShells
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So now the Michigan Reef Society has 39 members signed in on the official list. What's the next step? I see that the Chatanooga club has meetings. Should we consider having a meeting? I've met some of the people signed in, but definitely not all. I think it would be cool to have a meet and greet.

shine guy

Coral Collector
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So now the Michigan Reef Society has 39 members signed in on the official list. What's the next step? I see that the Chatanooga club has meetings. Should we consider having a meeting? I've met some of the people signed in, but definitely not all. I think it would be cool to have a meet and greet.

I agree we should have a meeting

ofblong

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
reef society??? Did I miss something?

Shine guy I have always loved that car....

Zombo

Mantis Cult Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Meetings and organization mean dues and "officers", and I know that I need to drop my money in my reef ;)

JuniorMC8704

Super Moderator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, i thought about it a lot, and the more i looked into it, there is MASM, how i forgot, i dont know.

Marine Aquarium Society of Michigan. Its state wide, and an excellent group.

I think its a great idea to join and support an existing club.

The more member participation and enthusiasm the better it can become.

shine guy

Coral Collector
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why not just gather as a group at a central location, hang out, get to met each other face to face, just BS about whatever good stuff we fish guys BS about, pick each others brains to further our knowledge, and maybe some BEER !!!
I would gladly host a party at my house, just let me know if your all interested.

shine guy

Coral Collector
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Meetings and organization mean dues and "officers", and I know that I need to drop my money in my reef ;)

I agree money goes in tank

We could just start a group called reefers anonymous for all of us that fell we NEED to spend money on our reefs. LOL

NORTHERN REEF

"JUST FRAG IT"
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why not just gather as a group at a central location, hang out, get to met each other face to face, just BS about whatever good stuff we fish guys BS about, pick each others brains to further our knowledge, and maybe some BEER !!!
I would gladly host a party at my house, just let me know if your all interested.

well i really like that idea, beer, meeting one another and hanging out talking about this hobby i am in for sure

pjr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
MASM has been in existence for quite a while. The reality is that they have had a tough time getting enough people to consistently attend events.

JuniorMC8704

Super Moderator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am in communication with Jarrod about MASM.

There has been some hard times for MASM, and I feel with the help of the people, I (we) can turn things around.

I will keep you all up to date with any changes, and we can go from there.

With the recent decline in member participation at meetings etc, I think that drastic changes will need to be made to spark interest in meeting attendance.

Therefore the general style and approach to meetings would likely need to change.

My initial thoughts would be to make more field trip based meetings, be it to a aquarium, another reefers house, bar, zoo, wherever. Just something to change it up.

Also, perhaps more DIY events where different projects can be done. i.e. DIY frag plugs, photography how-to's, fragging lessons, general how-to's.

I am my no means in any authority in MASM, but have offered to meet with the existing board members to talk about the future of the group.

Id really like to turn things around, and make a go of it.

If it doesn't work out, than we can talk about different options.

MASM has been in existence for quite a while. The reality is that they have had a tough time getting enough people to consistently attend events.

pjr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Junior, that makes sense. The Toldeo Zoo -- aquarium tour held in the spring was very very cool. The food making sessions are generally well attended. I think the DIY stuff has good appeal.

"Location rotation" may help. But heck, I just saw gas for $2.69, so maybe people can afford to drive again!

shine guy

Coral Collector
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
"Location rotation" may help. But heck, I just saw gas for $2.69, so maybe people can afford to drive again!

If more than 2 or 3 people want to get together I am willing to start the rotation at my house.

Ingenuity against algae: Do you use DIY methods for controlling nuisance algae?

• I have used DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 40 46.0%
  • I use commercial methods for controlling algae, but never DIY methods.

Votes: 20 23.0%
  • I have not used commercial or DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 21 24.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 6.9%
Back