OP
jason2459

jason2459

Not a paid scientist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Makes sense and basically the same as my experience. With the recommended pump mag1800 the 684 venturi worked well and better then the 784. But once I put on a more powerful pump the 784 was working better and really shined when I added the extension to make the reaction chamber longer.

anit77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm running my air through a co2 scrubber as well. It gives a very nice bump in ph vs pulling air from outside. I've attached a solenoid that opens twice a day for a couple minutes to add a little fresh air to the closed loop.
Mine is also on autopilot but I still clean it once a quarter or so. When I start seeing heavy buildup on the wiper arm I clean it. I don't want that crap falling off and it only takes me about 10 minutes from the time I turn the pump off till it's back up and running.

The 784 injector, with a pump that can power it, is definitely the sweet spot for these units. When you get a pump with 30' plus head pressure your set. I figured out the reason why going up to a one inch injector doesn't work too. The injectors do not like back pressure post injector, at all. The 3/4" plumbing on the bottom of the skimmer creates a lot of back pressure...
One of these days I'll try going up to a 20000 pump or the next latest and greatest Jeabo pumps when they come out. I think that will really pull more air on a 784 and the extra height my skimmer has should be able to handle it.

All in all, I still feel this is a top five purchase for my system ranking right up there with the Apex. But probably #1 on bang for the buck. It pulls more gunk out than some of the massive, high dollar, Bubble Kings I've personally seen in action. With a fraction of the maintenance those units need.

Muttley000

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you guys have any luck getting Jeff to respond? I have emailed him a few times over the last several months looking to buy another Injector for my HSC-1000 but he hasn't responded.

anit77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Calling is always best with Jeff. He probably won't answer but voice mails is something he generally responds to.

If you're looking to get a Mazzei there are a few places online you can get them for a good price. I haven't searched the thread but I thought there was a link or two in here.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
HSA-1000 uses a Beckett.

Aquius

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is MTC still in business? Number is disconnected and I have sent two emails to place an order...

Muttley000

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is MTC still in business? Number is disconnected and I have sent two emails to place an order...
I have been unable to get Jeff to reply to me in over a year, sadly I am thinking they are gone. The web site is still up though.

Aquius

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, I went the Ebay route. I just purchased a gently used, but tenderly loved MTC HSA-3000 for less than $500. Nothing like overkill. ;Woot

Here is the link to the auction: https://www.ebay.com/itm/50-034-MTC...=true&nordt=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

And a link to MTC's teaser page for awesome, yet unavailable, products: https://www.marinetechnical.com/page2.html

It appears what I bought uses "Easy Clean Air Injectors," vs Mazzei's. Does anyone have experience with these? I have used Mazzei's for industrial applications in the past, so I am pretty familiar with them. How do the new ones compare?

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They’re not new. The HSA series uses Beckett injectors rather than mazzei. Having used both, I have no real preference. Easy clean just refers to the ability to disassemble them easily - early incarnations of the HSA had sealed Beckett chambers which was a huge problem because they do collect debris. Nice score though.

Aquius

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They’re not new. The HSA series uses Beckett injectors rather than mazzei. Having used both, I have no real preference. Easy clean just refers to the ability to diassasdemble them easily - early incarnations of the HSA had sealed Beckett chambers which was a huge problem because they do collect debris. Nice score though.

Off to research Becket vs Mazzei injectors...

I will probably not change them out or anything. I just tend to geek out sometimes and "NEED" to know. ;Bookworm

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Please do report back on your experience with it. I am using a stretch version of their mazzei-based recirculator and have the HSA1000 idle; never used the 3000.

Aquius

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Please do report back on your experience with it. I am using a stretch version of their mazzei-based recirculator and have the HSA1000 idle; never used the 3000.

Will do. It will be next week before it comes in and I am still setting up the 150 system, but I will pass along my impressions.

smoothmove

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have used both Beckett and Venturi. They both do better with bigger pumps, but the flow and turn over is a lot higher with the Beckett. Nice score Aquisis.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Assume you meant Beckett and Mazzei? Beckett is a Venturi (just a different design). My own experience with them is that the Beckett is a ‘venturi on steroids’. I get, observably, the same amount of bubbles from a single Beckett than I did from dual 684 mazzei. Dual 784, with adequate pump, exceeds a single Beckett.

Aquius

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep. That is exactly what I was asking, and thanks for the heads up. Looks like I will have some excess capacity... :p

crny1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all,
I know this is a long thread that I have read through but I have just inherited (with a 300 gallon tank purchase) a Reef Concepts AeroFoamer 1625. This is my first ever beckett skimmer and talk about finicky! Either over flowing or the foam never makes it over the top into the cup.
I have checked the injector for being dirty and it seems clean.
Couple questions, Should the air chamber have water in it? I get almost a inch of water. There is also a small ball valve on the air chamber and adjusting this doesnt change anything.
I am running it off a Jeabo 10000 pump. Sump is on the basement floor, It is plumbed straight up from the pump about 3.5' and then 2 ninty degree fittings where it goes into the top of the air chamber. I run the pump all the way up and have the gate valve closed quite a bit. Like I mentioned. It either overflows or it wont get the skimate into the cup. The bubble look pretty dense in the reaction chamber so I am not sure what gives. Is there any mods besides the injector to do? Should I get rid of the air chamber and run the Mazzi injector? Would this help?
Thanks for any input on this!

Saveafish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_0065.JPG
My fancy MVX.

Saveafish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all,
I know this is a long thread that I have read through but I have just inherited (with a 300 gallon tank purchase) a Reef Concepts AeroFoamer 1625. This is my first ever beckett skimmer and talk about finicky! Either over flowing or the foam never makes it over the top into the cup.
I have checked the injector for being dirty and it seems clean.
Couple questions, Should the air chamber have water in it? I get almost a inch of water. There is also a small ball valve on the air chamber and adjusting this doesnt change anything.
I am running it off a Jeabo 10000 pump. Sump is on the basement floor, It is plumbed straight up from the pump about 3.5' and then 2 ninty degree fittings where it goes into the top of the air chamber. I run the pump all the way up and have the gate valve closed quite a bit. Like I mentioned. It either overflows or it wont get the skimate into the cup. The bubble look pretty dense in the reaction chamber so I am not sure what gives. Is there any mods besides the injector to do? Should I get rid of the air chamber and run the Mazzi injector? Would this help?
Thanks for any input on this!
I'll try to help with out ending up with egg on my face.
That injector chamber will have water in it. About half full. Yes they are touchy, very touchy. Many suck air from outside to stabilize it. Beckett love pressure, you could run a 15000 jebao on it. Open the gate and let it run hard for a day than close it a little. Wait a day or so than close it a lil more till you're skimming the way you want it. Once set it'll be a little nicer to you. The air adjustment ball. Just open it all the way. Don't worry about that. Normally it's for ozone suck control.

Mods. Yes you can add a Venturi in its place. A lot less finicky

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 8.2%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 43 17.7%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 162 66.7%
  • Neither.

Votes: 12 4.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.5%
Back