Multi tank system

Kaida

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would love some advice about connecting tanks please. I have 2x 3ft tanks and a 2ft tank. I also have a good external canister filter and a 300a Hailea chiller. I’m not worried about disease spreading as they have been in together. My 3ft tanks are different heights and slightly different sizing but I could make them the same if need be. One stand is quite low which might make it trickier.

I want to do this as cheaply as I can as my aquarium project has blown way out of budget due to terrible advice and my Axolotls not being the same sex like they were meant to be. I will have the male in one 3ft and female in the other & both need to be kept btw 14-18C and I can’t buy a second chiller. The one I have will be large enough to cool both tanks.

I’m ok with cutting the higher stand or raising the shorter stand. I’m ok with drilling the tank/s just can’t buy a heap of expensive stuff. Do I really need gate valves? They are about $60AU here. I found some for $30-40 but the sizing is for China & US and I’m in Au so I need to make sure I get pipes/hoses that work. Ball valves are cheaper and easier to get here.

My chiller and pump are using 19mm hosing which I have more of plus some connectors and reducers.

Sump or no sump? If sump can I use my 2ft? I don’t have room on my stand for that though.

I tried a divider but the male jumped it and then I changed it so he couldn’t but half a 3ft isn’t enough room and because he can see her he is swimming up and down and pushing the divider all night long and he’s not eating well.

I’ve got a few ideas of how to set it up but the more advice the better.
What size bulkheads? Axolotls need good filtration and low flow.

I know this is a marine forum but the plumbing expertise is much better here.

Mike konesky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Drill em all. Same sump would be much easier. 1 filter sock would probably be less work than cleaning a canister as well. Could share a return pump.

OP
OP
Kaida

Kaida

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Drill em all. Same sump would be much easier. 1 filter sock would probably be less work than cleaning a canister as well. Could share a return pump.
Both 3ft or the 2ft too? 20mm or 25mm do you think? And if I go sump, what size, can it be on the same level as the lower tank (probably not but how much lower does is need to be?) I was thinking 1000L/hr rated pump but not sure if that’s right.
Thank you! I’ve never done anything like this but I’m excited to drill the tank and set it all up.

Back