Multiple dwarf angels in one tank?

LaloJ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I "saw" the golden angelfish a few minutes ago. I only put saw in quotations because he stays in the shadows so much he may as well be a nox angelfish, as far as actually being able to make out any details go. I even tried grabbing a photo when he swam up to a corner by the overflow but I doubt you can even make out he's in center of the picture.
PXL_20230530_030444880.MP~2.jpg
I seem to be able to make out what appears to be his anal fin, or dorsal if this guy was swimming backwards but I can make it out. Man I hope you can observe him more often, one of my favorite angels but very cryptic; I would love to have it but the cost for a fish that is surely having a hard time in the lfs and also possibly not arriving alive after shipping is not a good investment for me, it recently became available here for what seems to be around $350 USD, but in order to pull the trigger I need a little more confidence. Incredible fish without a doubt, which in fact has a lot in common with Centropyge nox, which belongs to the aurantia complex. I haven't seen one live for over 18 years, and by the way the cost was around $20 back then, times have changed...

Tori

ReefMoore 103
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I seem to be able to make out what appears to be his anal fin, or dorsal if this guy was swimming backwards but I can make it out. Man I hope you can observe him more often, one of my favorite angels but very cryptic; I would love to have it but the cost for a fish that is surely having a hard time in the lfs and also possibly not arriving alive after shipping is not a good investment for me, it recently became available here for what seems to be around $350 USD, but in order to pull the trigger I need a little more confidence. Incredible fish without a doubt, which in fact has a lot in common with Centropyge nox, which belongs to the aurantia complex. I haven't seen one live for over 18 years, and by the way the cost was around $20 back then, times have changed...
Thanks! I hope I'll get to observe him more too. He's on the smaller side compared to everyone else so maybe when he gets a little bigger he'll be more bold. I couldn't imagine paying $20 nowadays. I'm kind of glad they're pricier, at least that makes me feel like they're more likely to get better care.

LaloJ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! I hope I'll get to observe him more too. He's on the smaller side compared to everyone else so maybe when he gets a little bigger he'll be more bold. I couldn't imagine paying $20 nowadays. I'm kind of glad they're pricier, at least that makes me feel like they're more likely to get better care.
You may be right about the latter, but not here in Mexico, it's a shame, I would only bet on this type of fish if I can personally go for it, you're lucky to have one, and if I remember correctly its maximum size is 3/ 3.5"

OP
OP
reefsamurai

reefsamurai

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well today is a week since I introduced the half black to the aquarium with the shark cage. So time to open the top and slow release. I know someone else here posted they do this also Incase of aggression and I tried it with the eibli coral beauty combo I added last time with great success so practice makes perfect!

Gotta run up to the LFS today for water and shrimp salt for the FW tanks, no telling what if any angels I'll find...

IMG_20230603_085646424_HDR.jpg
IMG_20230603_085730315.jpg
IMG_20230603_085700372_HDR.jpg
IMG_20230603_085721719_HDR.jpg

Tori

ReefMoore 103
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well today is a week since I introduced the half black to the aquarium with the shark cage. So time to open the top and slow release. I know someone else here posted they do this also Incase of aggression and I tried it with the eibli coral beauty combo I added last time with great success so practice makes perfect!

Gotta run up to the LFS today for water and shrimp salt for the FW tanks, no telling what if any angels I'll find...

IMG_20230603_085646424_HDR.jpg
IMG_20230603_085730315.jpg
IMG_20230603_085700372_HDR.jpg
IMG_20230603_085721719_HDR.jpg

Awesome! That's pretty exciting. I used that method when I added the two Multicolors and they definitely returned to the acclimation boxes after getting a rough welcome from everyone. It was pretty entertaining for a while because the bigger one would constantly swim into the smaller ones box and the smaller one would dart out into the empty box so for at least a day they were just swapping acclimation boxes. Then one day I saw them out and swimming relatively peaceful with everyone else so I removed the boxes. Can't wait to see how the little half black does with everyone!

OP
OP
reefsamurai

reefsamurai

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sometimes we should just stay out of the stores. There was 5 angels today when we went to get water, a navarchus, bicolor, rusty, half black and a keyhole...

IMG_20230603_134941818_HDR.jpg
IMG_20230603_134947370_HDR.jpg
IMG_20230603_134951164_HDR.jpg

Tori

ReefMoore 103
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome! Good find man! Can't wait to see how he does in the tank with everyone. Yeah, we should definitely get a Dwarf Angelfish addiction support group going...

Tori

ReefMoore 103
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Funny this just posted 6 hours ago. I guess we're not the only ones to do it this way then

OP
OP
reefsamurai

reefsamurai

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome! Good find man! Can't wait to see how he does in the tank with everyone. Yeah, we should definitely get a Dwarf Angelfish addiction support group going...

Our count is July 18 for MT provided no disease pops up.
I've already released the hound into the observation tank and it's cruising around in the back. I won't bother it until tomorrow so it has time to acclimate in.

The half black (wife has named it ghost since it vanishes into the rocks) found the top of the cage and is zipping around the MT.

OP
OP
reefsamurai

reefsamurai

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Funny this just posted 6 hours ago. I guess we're not the only ones to do it this way then

Trendsetters become Icons my friend although you're in California so naturally they'll follow you more than someone in Omaha.

chema

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have used a DIY acclimation box during the last years for all the introductions of new fishes in my tank. Since I'm using it I have had no losses due to harassment to new fishes.

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I never heard of and Emperor Angel been call a Bulleye Angel before. I guess it sorta describes the juvenile Imperator Angel

OP
OP
reefsamurai

reefsamurai

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The half black is hanging out under the cage and around the rocks on that side. There has been chasing today and 90% from the coral beauty but that's due in part to the right side is where it calls home. The imperator doesn't care, the xanthurus also doesn't care and eibli acts like an older brother who doesn't want the other kids to know he likes you. I slightly over fed the tank today and have hypothesized the validity of an automatic feeder keeping everyone fat and non territorial. My reasoning for this stems from watching the fishes behavior after a feeding. No one is fussy or chasing, just feeding and having a generally good time. Thought process would be a small amount of pellets released multiple times a day into the return chamber of the sump to be distributed into the main display. I do this with frozen food and it works well to keep everyone from gathering in one spot and fighting for scraps. I do not know when or if I will set this up but I like the idea of keeping the peace through full bellies.

Sorry no pics of the new keyhole. It's still pretty shy when people approach the tank but it's eating pellets and frozen and checks out the other fish since they can see each other through the glass.
IMG_20230604_200430341.jpg
IMG_20230604_200450481.jpg

IMG_20230604_200046771_HDR.jpg
IMG_20230604_200100956_HDR.jpg
IMG_20230604_200114188_HDR.jpg

Tori

ReefMoore 103
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The half black is hanging out under the cage and around the rocks on that side. There has been chasing today and 90% from the coral beauty but that's due in part to the right side is where it calls home. The imperator doesn't care, the xanthurus also doesn't care and eibli acts like an older brother who doesn't want the other kids to know he likes you. I slightly over fed the tank today and have hypothesized the validity of an automatic feeder keeping everyone fat and non territorial. My reasoning for this stems from watching the fishes behavior after a feeding. No one is fussy or chasing, just feeding and having a generally good time. Thought process would be a small amount of pellets released multiple times a day into the return chamber of the sump to be distributed into the main display. I do this with frozen food and it works well to keep everyone from gathering in one spot and fighting for scraps. I do not know when or if I will set this up but I like the idea of keeping the peace through full bellies.

Sorry no pics of the new keyhole. It's still pretty shy when people approach the tank but it's eating pellets and frozen and checks out the other fish since they can see each other through the glass.
IMG_20230604_200430341.jpg
IMG_20230604_200450481.jpg

IMG_20230604_200046771_HDR.jpg
IMG_20230604_200100956_HDR.jpg
IMG_20230604_200114188_HDR.jpg
Looking good! Now that you bring up auto feeders, seems like a good time to mention I have one go off twice a day. I also feed frozen every night. Could be part of the success formula for me. The auto feeder has various types of flake and frozen food. I figured that would increase the chances of finding something for everyone. I do the same with the frozen food.
I'm surprised the aggression came from the Coral Beauty instead of the Eibli, since they're more similar.
Never been to Omaha but both my favorite boxer, Bud Crawford, and Warren Buffett are from there, right? So, I assume everyone there is insanely talented. Your reef tank success makes perfect sense now :)

LaloJ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have read from many aquarists that coral beauty angels are mostly unpleasant guys with other dwarf angels, same for flame and emperor angel, all like fish that are added before the rest... but what the heck, they are all beautiful .

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 6.2%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.9%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 4.7%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 104 80.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.7%
Back