Mushroom 4.6 Gallon Aquamaxx Rimless tank

Joeganja

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've always wanted to dedicate a tank to just one specific type of coral. So figured what's bright, easy to take care of, and grows a pretty stead pace. [emoji265] as far as what type I will be keeping it will be pretty limited do to space so no hairy mushrooms or elephant ears. I will be aiming more towards Ricordeas, rhodactis, already have a lava lamp mushroom and plan to get a jaw breaker soon as well as an iron man. I'm not fond of the bounce mushroom hype simply because I it's not in my budget and I don't think paying $400 for a mushroom is what this hobby is about hopefully my two cents on them makes sense.

Substrate- I will hopefully be picking up black sand today. Im going with black simply because I want this tank to pop and don't want the rock, or sand to take away from it.

Lighting - as far as this goes I have an led clip that's just blue and white but should grow them just fine as well as give them a bit of pop. I will be either going with a par38 led or a kessil a80 tuna blue on depending on how well this light I have does.

Filtration - I will be using a Power Filter with a carbon infused pad along with a phosphate removal pad. There will be no fish and very little source of nutrients so to maintain optimal water quality I will do weekly water changes.

This is a very simple set up for relatively easy to keep species. More photos to follow [emoji16]
IMG_1821.JPG
IMG_1822.JPG

Joshky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will be using live sand as well as live rock and I will be waiting the nitrogen cycle so I should be good.

I think they may mean (or I took them to mean) that corals need to be fed in some manner, nitrates and phosphates can help corals color up and grow quicker. Some bioload even in a pico isn't necessarily a bad thing, just needs to be done correctly. :)

OP
OP
Joeganja

Joeganja

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think they may mean (or I took them to mean) that corals need to be fed in some manner, nitrates and phosphates can help corals color up and grow quicker. Some bioload even in a pico isn't necessarily a bad thing, just needs to be done correctly. :)

Oh okay. I get what your saying by that.

OP
OP
Joeganja

Joeganja

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone have any suggestions on what light I should use? Nemo light by aquamaxx, kessil a80, something else?

adestafi

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive run the kessil A150we over a 10g and it was great, but if youre concerned about light spread, that may be an issue. I would hang the light like a pendant vs. the gooseneck

OP
OP
Joeganja

Joeganja

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive run the kessil A150we over a 10g and it was great, but if youre concerned about light spread, that may be an issue. I would hang the light like a pendant vs. the gooseneck

I don't think light spread is an issue. I had the a160we tuna blue on my 25 but I got rid of it. I think it may be overkill for my little tank. I mean this tank small. It's length by width is smaller than an ipad
Dimensions L x W x H: 12.3" x 8.5" x 10.3"
So I don't think light spread is an issue.

OP
OP
Joeganja

Joeganja

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This was a photo a couple months ago, I had the same idea haha

IMG_0109.JPG

Has the fluval edge and it was probably the worst tank that existed for saltwater. Whenever you put your hand in there the water level would rise. However I've seen people take a razor blade and remove the entire top glass to make it a rimless tank and it looks much nicer that way.

taintstick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has the fluval edge and it was probably the worst tank that existed for saltwater. Whenever you put your hand in there the water level would rise. However I've seen people take a razor blade and remove the entire top glass to make it a rimless tank and it looks much nicer that way.

Yes it can be terrible when working on it, salt creep is also a B and a half... but when it's all said and done, it is a nice tank to look at. In the process of trying to create a mushroom carpet and xenias in the corners.

OP
OP
Joeganja

Joeganja

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Decided to put my hydra 26 on this little tank. It's almost as big as the tank itself. This will be a mushroom tank so hopefully it does well. Only issue i'm having is that I have 2 hydra 26's one on my 25 gallon and the other one on this 4.6. I was wondering if it's possible to have two different light settings on each light because obviously keeping the setting on the 25 gallon transfers to this 4.6 and it'll grow algae instead of grow mushrooms. Any advice?
IMG_2393.JPG

taintstick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Decided to put my hydra 26 on this little tank. It's almost as big as the tank itself. This will be a mushroom tank so hopefully it does well. Only issue i'm having is that I have 2 hydra 26's one on my 25 gallon and the other one on this 4.6. I was wondering if it's possible to have two different light settings on each light because obviously keeping the setting on the 25 gallon transfers to this 4.6 and it'll grow algae instead of grow mushrooms. Any advice?
IMG_2393.JPG

I want to say those lights should be able to program individually. I don't have any experience with them personally. I want to upgrade soon to the 52 pros on my 55.

OP
OP
Joeganja

Joeganja

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I want to say those lights should be able to program individually. I don't have any experience with them personally. I want to upgrade soon to the 52 pros on my 55.

Contacted aqua illumination and they told me I can only program them on the same setting. I would have to get another controller. So it looks like this tank will have to wait.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 84 56.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.4%

Back