Mushrooms, Acan, and Euphylia Doing Poorly After Water Change - Suggestions Needed

demon_speeding

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When doing maintenance this week I noticed that my salinity was high. I measured it at 1.030 with a refractometer. It appears that my valve for my ATO was partially blocked and not allowing adequate water to pass by and refill the tank. It was slowly getting by, but not enough. I cleared the blockage, scrubbed down the ATO, and refilled. I also took the opportunity to check and clear all of my dosing lines. The CA one in particular had sediment build up that was likely blocking the line, at least partially.

In order to lower the salinity I used a calculator to figure out a ratio for my water change and mixed up a batch of approximately 8 gallons of lower salinity water. I cleaned the tank as usual and added the lower salinity water. Tank now read SG 1.026. Slightly elevated, but within tolerances. After the water change my mushrooms responded very poorly, photos below. My acros and many of my other corals responded very favorably. It was a mixed bag. I believe the mushrooms will recover, but they clearly didn't like something. The polyp extension on my acros is fabulous, for me anyway. They seem to like the new chemicals and the lowered salinity.

The other major setback is the loss, or likely loss of my acan colony. It was about the size of a hockey puck and doing quite well. The morning after the water change I noticed it was half destroyed. To me it looks like something ate it. There were large chunks torn away and bits of flesh floating away from the skeleton. The half that was no affected is in perfect condition. I would suspect that rapid necrosis or some chemical ailment would affect the entire colony, not select polyps, is that accurate? Right now my suspicion is that either my coral beauty, or a rogue hermit crab is the culprit. My Highlander crab drags around a giant conch shell which easily could have torn the flesh on the acan and rang the dinner bell for other creatures to come feast on it, or something entirely different could have happened.

Lastly, my euphylia is being weird. It is a medium size colony with 2 main branches. One branch has 2 heads, the other has 5. The side with 5 heads retraced polyps about 3 weeks ago and they haven't come out since. The other side is doing perfectly fine. I removed it from the tank and dipped it, no pests observed. I also tried moving it to a lower light and flow area with no change. The flesh doesn't appear to be receding, I can't seem to figure out what's wrong with it. Any ideas?

Livestock:
2x Clowns
1 Lawnmower Blenny
1 Watchman Goby
1 Royal Gramma
1 Mandarin Dragonet
1 Coral Beauty
1 Sallylightfoot
1 Porcelain Crab
1 GBTA
1 Rainbow BTA
Large CUC - hermits, snails
Large variety of corals, LPS, SPS, and a few softies (mostly mushrooms and zoas)

Current Parameters:
Parameter: Current Level:
Specific Gravity 1.026
Temperature 79°F
pH 8.4 - 8.6
Alkalinity 9 dKH
Ammonia (NH3) Undetectable
Nitrite (NO2) Undetectable
Nitrate - Nitrogen (NO3) .02 ppm
Phosphate (PO4) 0.26 ppm
Calcium 600 ppm
Magnesium 1280 ppm

PXL_20230213_130233892.jpg PXL_20230213_130225730.jpg PXL_20230213_130208587.jpg PXL_20230213_130157560.jpg PXL_20230201_124115487.jpg

MelancholyBlenny

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your phos and Calcium are high but if they have been like that for a while it probably isn't that. how do you calibrate the Refractometer? Next time you need to move salinity up or down more than a point I would do it much slower.

OP
OP
D

demon_speeding

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your phos and Calcium are high but if they have been like that for a while it probably isn't that. how do you calibrate the Refractometer? Next time you need to move salinity up or down more than a point I would do it much slower.
The refractometer was calibrated with RODI water. It has a little screw that you adjust. I did that when I first picked it up, but honestly, I haven't checked it in a month or so. Do they fall out of calibration often/easily? Good catch on the phosphates, that's a typo. It should read .026. Do you think the salinity swing is responsible for my shriveled mushrooms?

JTP424

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Apologies, I might be missing it, but how big is the tank? Also where did you pour the newly mixed saltwater into? Display, sump etc?
Do you have a timeline for all this cleaning and changing of things? I.E. checked corals after an hour, day, two days etc.
My tank normally goes through a day or so of total recovery after a deep clean....

OP
OP
D

demon_speeding

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Apologies, I might be missing it, but how big is the tank? Also where did you pour the newly mixed saltwater into? Display, sump etc?
Do you have a timeline for all this cleaning and changing of things? I.E. checked corals after an hour, day, two days etc.
My tank normally goes through a day or so of total recovery after a deep clean....
You didn't miss it, I forgot to post it. The tank is a reefer 250, so it is 65 gallons total, 54 display, 11 in the sump. I poured most of the mixed saltwater into the sump. Some went into the display, probably 3 gallons or so. Total water change was around 8 gallons.

My maintenance routine is pretty strict. I do water changes every Saturday or Sunday, dose AF 1+,2+,3+ automatically with a doser and hand administer trace elements every morning at feeding time. I scrap the glass daily (it generally doesn't need it, but it's part of my routine). I use a baster to blow off any loose sediment on the sand and rocks that doesn't get hit with the power heads every morning. Overall I would say that I have a very clean tank.

I'm also a little obsessive about observing the corals. I check them every morning and evening, then again at lights out to look for anything that doesn't come out during the day.

Timeline is as follows:

Euphylia closed up approx 3 weeks ago. They have been through 2 water changes with no change to their appearance. Dip took place 2 weeks ago per advice from my local club president.

Mushrooms closed up Saturday evening after the water change. They are open, but nowhere near as full as they were prior to the water change. Previous "fullness" picture below.

Water change and cleaning took place between 7-930 PM Saturday evening. I also dosed AF Life Source that night. If you're unfamiliar that product is essentially mud collected from a coral reef in Fiji. According to AF it contains food and nutrients for the corals. It makes the water extremely cloudy for a couple hours, then clears up. Most of my corals really seem to respond well to it. My acros and most of my LPS corals are very full and have excellent polyp extension on the days following dosing. This is a new thing for me, this weekend was the first time using it.

Are these details helpful? I'd be happy to provide more if you have specific questions.

Thank you for your help!

Same rock, prior to water change:
1676403422998.png

MelancholyBlenny

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The refractometer was calibrated with RODI water. It has a little screw that you adjust. I did that when I first picked it up, but honestly, I haven't checked it in a month or so. Do they fall out of calibration often/easily? Good catch on the phosphates, that's a typo. It should read .026. Do you think the salinity swing is responsible for my shriveled mushrooms?

Depends on the refractometer, but mine falls out of calibration real often, i calibrate it every week. You should be calibrating with a solution too not rodi. Its totally possible your tank was at 1.023 and you just lowerd it to 1.019. I had a smaller tank before my reefer 250 and i had an incident of not checking my salinity of the water change water and that lowered my salinity in my tank from 1.025 to 1.020 and i had quite a few corals die and some very ticked off.

OP
OP
D

demon_speeding

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting, I was unaware they came out of calibration so often. Mine didn't come with a calibration solution, I will look into it and order some. You've got me wondering if my salinity is still off.

MelancholyBlenny

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unless another parameter I am missing got real out of whack during the water change I feel the fast jump in salinity and the possibility of the salinity being lower than recommended now, are the things I would look at.

OP
OP
D

demon_speeding

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unless another parameter I am missing got real out of whack during the water change I feel the fast jump in salinity and the possibility of the salinity being lower than recommended now, are the things I would look at.
I'll double check when I get back to the ranch tonight. I'll pull the calibration instructions again, set it, and double check. Thanks again!

I'm still trying to figure that euphylia out. It was like that before the water change. My local club is confused as well.

JTP424

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agree with all previous points, but also might be worth investigating what caused the blockage from your ATO, not sure if the CA one was causing the ATO block. I'd check the TDS of your RO to confirm it's quality.
Good luck! It's a solid looking tank you have there and hope it all works out.

OP
OP
D

demon_speeding

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agree with all previous points, but also might be worth investigating what caused the blockage from your ATO, not sure if the CA one was causing the ATO block. I'd check the TDS of your RO to confirm it's quality.
Good luck! It's a solid looking tank you have there and hope it all works out.
Good point and thank you. I did an ICP test on my RODI water recently and I have another one on the way. My water tested well, no issues there. I can pull the PDF and post it if that's helpful. I'm not sure what's causing the blockage on the ATO float. It looks like maybe salt crust is jamming it up. I'll have to be better about scrubbing it down with my weekly water change.

I'm hoping my ICP test gives me some more clues on what has the mushrooms so grumpy but they usually take about 2 weeks to come back. Hopefully they make it that long. I may do another water change tomorrow to see if that improves anything.

OP
OP
D

demon_speeding

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Double checked the refractometer. It was calibrated properly. I'm showing 1.024 salinity as of last night. No significant improvement with the mushrooms and now one of my candy cane corals is looking wrinkled at the edge.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.5%
Back