Mushrooms melting after dosing tropic Marin all-for-reef

girlsdad_AAA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys, any experience with mushrooms (Florida ricordeas) melting after dosing all for reef?

That’s the ONLY thing that changed! All other corals, inverts, and fish are doing well and thriving.

I’m testing all other parameters weekly, and nothing out of wack. All yes, I increased slowly, currently dosing 6ml/day in a 15G nano. Weekly water changes couldn’t keep up with alk and calcium consumption, so I have to dose.

I’d like to buy a large OG bounce but now I’m kinda scared.

crazyfishmom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hey guys, any experience with mushrooms (Florida ricordeas) melting after dosing all for reef?

That’s the ONLY thing that changed! All other corals, inverts, and fish are doing well and thriving.

I’m testing all other parameters weekly, and nothing out of wack. All yes, I increased slowly, currently dosing 6ml/day in a 15G nano. Weekly water changes couldn’t keep up with alk and calcium consumption, so I have to dose.

I’d like to buy a large OG bounce but now I’m kinda scared.
I dose all for reef in all my tanks and I haven’t had any issues with melting mushrooms. How long did it take after you started dosing for the mushrooms to start losing steam? How are your nutrients? How long have you had the mushrooms? Mushrooms like dirtier water.

OP
OP
G

girlsdad_AAA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dose all for reef in all my tanks and I haven’t had any issues with melting mushrooms. How long did it take after you started dosing for the mushrooms to start losing steam? How are your nutrients? How long have you had the mushrooms? Mushrooms like dirtier water.

A week after dosing, I started noticing them not opening fully and they slowly melted. Nitrate is 15 and phosphate at 0.11. Ive had the mushrooms between 8-12 months.

OP
OP
G

girlsdad_AAA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
March 30
IMG_3409.jpeg

April 13

IMG_3408.jpeg

OP
OP
G

girlsdad_AAA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only thing got affected are the ricordeas and my jawbreakers (the jawbreaker momma didn’t melt but it’s a lot smaller after the TM AFR)

JTP424

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That seems like a lot of AFR for a 15 gallon? Did you start with 6 or work your way up?

twentyleagues

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

crazyfishmom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Guess it actually depends on how heavily stocked the tank is and alk consumption. I dose 45ml of alk and calcium daily for 80g system.
My tank is pretty highly stocked; but AFR works a little differently than other systems out there. It definitely depends on stocking and consumption and not debating what the needs are on anyone’s tank but 6 mL is quite a bit of it. My 40 gallon which is also heavily stocked utilizes 7.5 mL.

happyhourhero

Burner of the Tips
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve got those same rics and have been running all for reef for a couple of years without issue.

twentyleagues

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not that its going to be super informative but what is mag and calc at? do you know where these were before afr? maybe mag jumped up too?

crazyfishmom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The alk went from 7.5 to 8.9 in a week. And I started with 2ml/day and increased it to 6ml in a week.
Something else to note is that I think you are definitely overdosing. With AFR, you are supposed to get your big three where you want them and then you dose to maintain. The fact that it has been going up tells me that stepping back on the dosing will likely help what’s happening.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 22 29.7%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 27 36.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 25.7%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 6.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.4%

Back