My 220 upgrade tank

Jim Gomoll

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice set up you got going. Yes moving with a reef system is a pain. Tore down a 75g myself and moved cross country from WI to CO. Bringing old tank along was not feasible but brought my corals and fish in totes. Lost a few along the way but those still alive are in a 20g waiting for their home, a 120g DT w40g DIY sump.
Keep up the good work on your new build.

OP
OP
Judson_f

Judson_f

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice set up you got going. Yes moving with a reef system is a pain. Tore down a 75g myself and moved cross country from WI to CO. Bringing old tank along was not feasible but brought my corals and fish in totes. Lost a few along the way but those still alive are in a 20g waiting for their home, a 120g DT w40g DIY sump.
Keep up the good work on your new build.
Thank you! And wow that is way tougher than mine! I only moved about 30 minutes lol good luck!!

OP
OP
Judson_f

Judson_f

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OH for anyone who actually read this or may one day be curious - the MP40 controller I dropped into the tank - I IMMEDIATELY grabbed it out of the water and held it up right. I then let it sit upright for a full 24 hours, plugged it in and started right up no issues whatsoever. I was honestly shocked & am still not expecting full length longevity from it but happy it started right up! Good job ecotech lol

OP
OP
Judson_f

Judson_f

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alk read 8 today, did another 3 ounces of half strength Randy’s DIY.

Yellow tang beat up the purple tang for the first 20 minutes straight. Was really worried, but then it’s like they got wore out and totally stopped. They still show aggression when they get too close but otherwise are fine!

Blonde naso is my favorite right now. He’s awesome. Just chill as can be swimming around. And lawnmower blenny is hilarious it’s like playing where’s Waldo the family loves him.

I need to go leave a great review for Dr Reef QT fish! I was a little worried after reading some reviews of fish showing up looking unhealthy but QT’d etc but wow! Fish were healthy and looked great! Well fed. Seemed totally stress free! Acclimated per Their recommendations exactly and all fish are doing great!

JF had the lemongrass for 9.99 so I bought two, clipped one off and glued it to the other to maybe have a headstart on a colony. JF frankies sunkissed encrusting Montipora, and a neon green Duncan (my first LPS) from Dr reef. Everything looks great!

Hitting Walmart tomorrow for USB C - USB C cables. Forgot to grab extra k links for the other two cables lol

Attachments

• IMG_0925.jpeg
    IMG_0925.jpeg
    155.4 KB · Views: 30
OP
OP
Judson_f

Judson_f

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can’t catch a break man.

Mapped out my PAR at 65% to be able to place these corals last night then ran tests and I’m still stable and showing good numbers. Very happy there

Today I got home from work and blonde naso tang was dead under a rock. He didn’t look like he’d been gone long but super bummed out he was my favorite of the 3 I got. Dr reef immediately offered to send replacement or give store credit. So that was a relief but still a bummer. All other fish are very happy healthy and eating still.

Left Durso seems clogged. Dislodged one snail from the standpipe but still seems like there is another or something. Getting strainers and plastic snakes tomorrow. While investigating standpipes - spotted an aiptasia on the right side standpipe and I can’t for the life of me understand how. I was SO diligent. Coral QT and everything. But it is what it is. If I’ve spotted one then I have more somewhere. So going to be ordering peppermint shrimp in the near future.

BUT I finally hooked up my old apex sensors so I have full visibility now not just control.

What do you guys think of PAR map for sps dominant? I can turn the lights up more still but thought these numbers were decent - mounted 75% of my corals to clear off the display panel for viewing. Was tired of the clutter - they were all growing great so hopefully they don’t take long to settle in to their new spots and keep going!

The kessils fully lit up WITH the reefbrites are amazing. I’m in love with it. Letting everything slowly adjust to the added lights - had them set for 3 hours on only yesterday and then 4 today. Opinions appreciated but going to do some research on photoperiod next. See if I should extend that to 5-6 hours

Attachments

• IMG_0947.jpeg
    IMG_0947.jpeg
    148.6 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_0948.jpeg
    IMG_0948.jpeg
    108.2 KB · Views: 30
OP
OP
Judson_f

Judson_f

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
WELL seems all the lights encouraged enough algae growth to push my PO4 back to zero & my nitrates down to 1.1. Fed heavy today & then dosed a slightly oversized serving of reef roids with the skimmer off for about 1.5-2 hours. Friday my po4 was .02 and no3 3.2 so I’m hoping the tank hadn’t been near zero’s very long. Once I get .03-.08 & 3-5 stable again for nutrients I think I’m going to put filter socks back in.

OP
OP
Judson_f

Judson_f

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
WOW. Do not underestimate reef roids. I’ve had this bag for about 6-8 months, used it in my 75. I was aware that it spiked nutrients - but so everyone can see some of the extent - I had 0 po4 - Hanna tester - and dosed the recommend amount for a 220 gallon aquarium plus a dash extra (have a 50g sump)

First dose this tank has ever received. The following night around 20 hours later po4 had gone from 0.0 to 0.29. Wow. I’m sad. And hoping it doesn’t hurt my corals for such a huge swing up - my nitrates were still low (0.7) so I dosed approx enough to bring the tank to 5ppm. I’d rather GHA or any green algae over the nasty cyano or low nutrient algae’s. Crossing my fingers on this. Other than the numbers the tank looks great. Corals encrusting their bases, some goners from my old tank making full come backs in this one. Things of that nature.

Battlebox tomorrow!!! Fingers crossed TIGHT my fuge starts to do some WORK on that po4 level

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 27 15.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 24 13.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 101 57.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.8%
Back