My 220g Fish Only

Gruca

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all. I'm in the beginning stages of my 220g fish only build. It's currently cycling and I'm working on my fish list (another thread was made in the Fish section about that https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/plans-for-a-220g-fish-only.547674/).

The tank is 6' long, 30" tall, and 24" front to back. The stand was made by the previous owner. He just kept the tank in his basement with a catfish in it. Moving this thing out of a basement is NOT fun as I'm sure you all can imagine. We got it done though. The tank is sitting on the corner of two outside walls, and is sitting above the basement walkout door, which is more supportive of the floor, but I went ahead and added a 6 foot 4x4 in the basement and mounted it using two of those jacks people use to hold up their houses that are sinking...

I opted to go with a wet/dry on this setup. I have a sump and skimmer on my reef tank, so switching it up on this one. Nothing fancy about the equipment...which is kinda what makes a fish only setup nice. It just doesn't cost nearly as much to setup like a reef tank. I'll probably end up taking out the second bio ball section to put in a skimmer, once the fish start growing and making a mess. For now though, I think I'll get by okay. Anyway, here are the pictures of the last few weeks getting this thing going. I will update as I make more progress.

iron_mike_gt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Excellent! I look forward to seeing this come along. Are you going to do more aquascaping? It looks like those rocks are on the sand - depending on what you stock it might be better to have the rocks flush to the glass to avoid rock slides. There are some gobies and other sand sifters known for causing collapses and it’s easier to avoid during the build.

OP
OP
G

Gruca

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Excellent! I look forward to seeing this come along. Are you going to do more aquascaping? It looks like those rocks are on the sand - depending on what you stock it might be better to have the rocks flush to the glass to avoid rock slides. There are some gobies and other sand sifters known for causing collapses and it’s easier to avoid during the build.

Yessir. We are going to add more rock and dig them down to the glass.

Hemmdog

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got the rocks all situated. A combination of live and dry. Added some bio materials to the wet/dry and put in the two fish. It’s been a week and no issues with the two of them together.

What was your ideology behind the wet dry with all the newer innovations these days? Just curious.

OP
OP
G

Gruca

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What was your ideology behind the wet dry with all the newer innovations these days? Just curious.

It’s a fish only tank and the wet/dry is plenty big enough to add a protein skimmer later, if need be. What are the newer innovations?

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 37 30.1%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.3%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 33 26.8%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 44 35.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.1%
Back