Reefnjunkie

Reefnjunkie

Acropora Junkie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Brad, what salt are you using now?

After last years 4-5 months of unknown die off I systematically kept trying to see what the cause and over that course of time one of the changes was to Red Sea Blue bucket which previously was Fritz. For YEARS I had used Kent with great success and was only doing water changes maybe once every 3-4 months. Kent for some STUPID STUPID stupid reason changed their recipe to where the alk mixes at 12+ if I recall. I dont know any reefer running 12+ for Alk - (Pardon my rant) that was when I switched to Fritz which had its own inconsistencies at the time

Hows that for a long answer to an easy question LOL

Great group of pics!!
Thank you sir!

Well since Im in a state of "regrowing" acros I dont have the big colony shots to share so we are in a long ride of watching things grow ;) A lot of these frags were what I saved from colonies that kept slowing dying off. I should mention I seem to have rounded the corner and all seems well and growing well again.

This group was the 100mm lens which makes a lot of shots tough sine the tank is only 9" deep and the fixture (8 bulb T5) is about 6" above the tank-not much room to work with that lens

not red planet
_MG_4488.jpg

No name
_MG_4491.jpg

I got this from Darrell at All Delight years ago
_MG_4490.jpg

Got this from Rudy at GB
_MG_4469.jpg

GB Full Throttle
_MG_4468.jpg

Not the best or even close to the quality of pics Ive taken in the past, hopefully I get back to taking better shots-Most of these have the ISO so high its poor quality but I didn't have time to break out the tripod

_MG_4481-2.jpg

_MG_4478.jpg
_MG_4480.jpg
_MG_4482.jpg
_MG_4487.jpg

Last edited:

BoomCorals

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After last years 4-5 months of unknown die off I systematically kept trying to see what the cause and over that course of time one of the changes was to Red Sea Blue bucket which previously was Fritz. For YEARS I had used Kent with great success and was only doing water changes maybe once every 3-4 months. Kent for some STUPID STUPID stupid reason changed their recipe to where the alk mixes at 12+ if I recall. I dont know any reefer running 12+ for Alk - (Pardon my rant) that was when I switched to Fritz which had its own inconsistencies at the time

Hows that for a long answer to an easy question LOL

I’ve always used Kent as well but over the last year have had issues with it. I honestly didn’t know it was such high ALK until I saw you post on it. I always thought it was 8. That’s seals my dislike for it and I’ve decided to switch to Red Sea.

OP
OP
Reefnjunkie

Reefnjunkie

Acropora Junkie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve always used Kent as well but over the last year have had issues with it. I honestly didn’t know it was such high ALK until I saw you post on it. I always thought it was 8. That’s seals my dislike for it and I’ve decided to switch to Red Sea.

I believe 8 was what it was before and Fritz mixes at 8.4 but they had issues for awhile that have since been corrected but Red Sea is solid and has been- It also mixes at 8.4

Ive bought a gallon of their Reef Energy part A and B amd have been dosing that for about a week 4-5x at 60mls each. Ive seen good results so far and also am dosing ME Polyp Extender 2-3x a week but only 15mls per dose

OP
OP
Reefnjunkie

Reefnjunkie

Acropora Junkie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
how is everything going recently?

I am almost afraid to post this but I’m happy to report the dying has stopped and I’m rebuilding

Sad the years of collecting and growth that I lost. I wish I kept track of all my sales over the last 4 years there are quite a few I’d like to regrow

Sadly not many pieces were banked- just not many viable options here

OP
OP
Reefnjunkie

Reefnjunkie

Acropora Junkie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is a coral in the original post for this thread referred as "Daniks Smurf Goblin". Does anyone know if there's a source for this coral nowadays? Beautiful coral!!

I got it from a friend of mine here locally his name was Danik hence the name I know it was rebranded as Mattv peter pan but don’t know of a single person that has it since I didn’t keep track of past sales for trade

The coral from Rudy at gb you posted really looks a lot like a coral I have that I purchased as a wwc blueberry.
Jeff

Not sure exactly which piece it was, full throttle he had for at least four years I believe and the other one which I did not put a name on with green body purple to black polyps is what he called his pinecone, I verified that last week

CoralWealth

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I am almost afraid to post this but I’m happy to report the dying has stopped and I’m rebuilding

Sad the years of collecting and growth that I lost. I wish I kept track of all my sales over the last 4 years there are quite a few I’d like to regrow

Sadly not many pieces were banked- just not many viable options here

Glad to hear the dying has stopped. Any idea what it was from and what you did that completely stopped it?

Glad to hear youre rebuilding and I will look out for some pictures :)

OP
OP
Reefnjunkie

Reefnjunkie

Acropora Junkie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glad to hear the dying has stopped. Any idea what it was from and what you did that completely stopped it?

Glad to hear youre rebuilding and I will look out for some pictures :)

Over the course of the last 7-9 I really tried everything, a I may have touched on it in my build thread but the short summary nothing helped.

I tried that intank treatment STOP RTN when I was at the end of my rope and It actually seemed to help but if anyone followed that thread one FB or here they know what was being sold wasn’t accurate

Philaster Lucinda (or Euplodes-spelling??) is not the cause they are a secondary ciliate aka the clean up crew.

It had to be a bacterial issue that attacked any weak coral and my fragging trying to save things may have just perpetuated tue stress.

I’ll never know

aquavista99

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have the Smurf Goblin. It’s a very nice stick too. Did not know it was rebranded as the MattV Peter Pan.

Welcome back, Brad. Glad your reef is doing well again.

I got it from a friend of mine here locally his name was Danik hence the name I know it was rebranded as Mattv peter pan but don’t know of a single person that has it since I didn’t keep track of past sales for trade

OP
OP
Reefnjunkie

Reefnjunkie

Acropora Junkie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the Smurf Goblin. It’s a very nice stick too. Did not know it was rebranded as the MattV Peter Pan.

Welcome back, Brad. Glad your reef is doing well again.

Me too my friend. :)

Probably going to reach out once I replenish the coral fund for a piece or too ;)

Thanks again

A-dawg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any updates. I’ve been reading this thread the last couple days and I’m inspired.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 38 24.2%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 53 33.8%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 47 29.9%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.5%

Back