My chalice is dead!

JGoslee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Last night I checked all my stuff and this guy was fine. This morning I woke up and this is what it looked like.
dead.jpg

Is this STN?

twon8

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
that isn't dead, not sure if chalices' can stn, i pretty much consider that an acro thing.

i would say move it out of bright light,

mbunaman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree move him out the light and make sure its gets a good medium flow. It will come back in no time. I had one a few years ago that a flame angel ate most of the flesh. I moved it to another tank let it heal up a little and fed it everyother night within a month I saw a major recovery. If you dont suspect a fish or critter eating the flesh monitor it. If it gets worst I would do a Lugols dip. Keep us posted.

OP
OP
JGoslee

JGoslee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good to know that it can recover. I really like this piece. It definitely wasnt the light. I had this guy in the shade. It could have been the flow, but would it have been that fast of a recession? I have no fish in the tank. They are in QT. The only thing in the tank is a cleaner shrimp and a few peppermint shrimp.

twon8

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
it's possible the tank is too sterile for him, but i dont' have much experience with chalice's so I'll defer to those who keep them

twon8

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
was this in your 58? going by your signature, even in the shade you have a lot of light in the tank, good for sps, not so good for chalice

Zeppelin

unregistered
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just thought of something else I did to a couple of mine last year. You didn't do any cleaning of salt creep last night did you? I had a chunk of salt creep from one of my lights get down and lay on top of a couple chalice frags last year and burned the snot out of them.

OP
OP
JGoslee

JGoslee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I actually did a small water change last night and when I was done pouring in the bucket of water, some unmixed salt did fall in the tank right in the area of the chalice. That makes me feel better. At least I know it was my fault and not something out of whack in my tank. Good call Larry!

jimsflies

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Try giving it a melafix dip (in a bowl of tank water). That often helps ward off infections and speeds recovery.

Ingenuity against algae: Do you use DIY methods for controlling nuisance algae?

• I have used DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 20 48.8%
  • I use commercial methods for controlling algae, but never DIY methods.

Votes: 11 26.8%
  • I have not used commercial or DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 9 22.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 2.4%
Back