My change over Triton 4 Jan 2016

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

BetURWrasse

Dysfunctional Veteran
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank is a 130g + about 23 gallons in the sump (half of 46gallon tank).

been running ME Coral 2 part and the tank has been running since 4 July 2015. Also been using Salinity.

Below is my test result before I started Triton on 4 Jan.

I have since switched to Tropic Marin Salt and will send my second test off next week after I do another 15% water change recommended to correct Sn and Co issues.

I have not started dosing anything extra yet since I want to see what the difference is from Salinity to Tropic Marin and from ME Coral to Triton Elementz.
triton1.jpg

Voila_Capture 2016-01-21_02-01-12_PM.jpg

john.m.cole3

cyclOps
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How do I get a Triton packet to send my water off to get tested?

joefishUC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
looks good. A few comments if you don't mind. In the sump- remove all the rock except for 2 small pieces and build up the macro algae in that and the second chamber. If you can safely remove the first glass separation wall that would be even better as it is not needed and it will block flow through the algae. I notice you have some Cobalt, Chromium and Iron showing up on your ICP test. Are you using a good RO/DI filter? If not, start using one or purchase good fresh water from your local LFS. Good luck! Happy you are trying Triton.

OP
OP
BetURWrasse

BetURWrasse

Dysfunctional Veteran
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
looks good. A few comments if you don't mind. In the sump- remove all the rock except for 2 small pieces and build up the macro algae in that and the second chamber. If you can safely remove the first glass separation wall that would be even better as it is not needed and it will block flow through the algae. I notice you have some Cobalt, Chromium and Iron showing up on your ICP test. Are you using a good RO/DI filter? If not, start using one or purchase good fresh water from your local LFS. Good luck! Happy you are trying Triton.
Thanks, all input is appreciated.

I'm torn on removing the rock because I believe it helps add to the biological filtration of the system.

I have increased the amount of macro since this shot and will probably add even more.

I run a 6 stage BRS RODI that I just replaced all filters on.

The second test I had done showed the metals increased. I did have two metal retaining rings on some hoses that are gone now also. Hopefully that was the issue and I can bring down the metals in the water.

I have 3 more weeks of water changes then I will submit a new test.

Even though I'm not sure about removing the rock I may still remove that glass panel and make it one large 1st stage in the sump

joefishUC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds good. If the tank is filled with a "normal" amount of live rock then you don't need the rock in the sump. It will only trap detritus, slow flow and take up space that should be available for macro algae. The better way to determine whether or not you have enough surface area available for beneficial bacteria is to see if you run elevated levels of ammonia or nitrite a few weeks after removing it. If these are always in check then you have enough surface area to handle the bio-load of your system. I vote to remove the rock;)

The metal rings were most likely the cause of the unwanted metals. Glad to hear you removed them.

BigKid4788

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
You will absolutely love Triton. I've had great results and maintenance is extremely easy.
Glad to see UC will still be carrying Triton products.

OP
OP
BetURWrasse

BetURWrasse

Dysfunctional Veteran
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Right now I am definitely losing color on some acros. With the tests, water changes and added elements in hoping to get things straightened back out.

This last test had Iodine and Lithium in the yellow negative so I dosed both of those after my 1st 15% water change. Actually didn't have enough lithium in the container to dose according to the results. But I'll let it ride until the next test.

I figure the 3 additional water changes are going to effect it anyway.

OP
OP
BetURWrasse

BetURWrasse

Dysfunctional Veteran
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So this is my first test taken right before I switched to triton.
triton1.jpg

Voila_Capture 2016-01-21_02-01-12_PM.jpg

and 2nd from last week

test2 page 1.jpg

Test2 page 2.jpg

So I have halved my GFO and decreased the hours of lighting macro because of the changes to P and PO4.
Dosed Lithium and Iodine to bring those up.
And completed one 15% water change.
Also removed 2 metal clamps that I hope were causing the heavy metal issues.

I have 3 more water changes and then I will send in another test. Water changes on the 17th, 2nd, and 9th. I have to skip a week due to travel for work.

Next test will be sent in on 11March.

Last edited:

joefishUC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You will absolutely love Triton. I've had great results and maintenance is extremely easy.
Glad to see UC will still be carrying Triton products.
Still? :) Nothing is changing! UC is going to more of the same. haha

joefishUC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
0.00 po4? I would bet thats part of your problem on acro color. Unless you are feeding like a madman the corals are starving. A little bit of po4 is perfectly fine, in fact most people including myself, find that the sweet spot is somewhere between .03-.08 with normal feeding. You may want to feed more, shut down the gfo reactor until you actually need to use it, turn off the skimmer for a week or two. (this will help to boost up iodine and po4 levels). You may also want to try some amino acids for a while to help get some nutrition back into the corals.

OP
OP
BetURWrasse

BetURWrasse

Dysfunctional Veteran
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've never had 0 PO4 until this test, well according to my Hanna and Red Sea test.

I just tested and Red Sea show .08.

Also emptied the sump this morning and attempted to take that glass out but man they did a good job putting it in. At least the sump is clean now.

I left the rock for now but will eventually move most to the display.

mniemann

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This will be an interesting watch. Personally I am researching both Triton and Zeovit to see if either is right for my mixed reef. The set up is established and had been solid for about 4 years.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Looks good!

OP
OP
BetURWrasse

BetURWrasse

Dysfunctional Veteran
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So Since this last test I did 4 water changes using Tropic Marin Pro Reef.

I have lost all but 2 of my chalices including my SC Dynamite and Rich Reefer marvel Comics Chalice. I also lost 2 Acros. Most of my chalices went all of a sudden in 2 days.

I have checked all my number and everything sits the same. I sent a new test out yesterday.

Funny thing is the rest of the SPS look great, the LPS are getting larger, and all my shrooms are fine. Some of the shrooms have even doubled in size over the past 2-3 weeks.

Took me a few days to update this because I have been so dang bummed over loosing such nice pieces.

So who knows.

OP
OP
BetURWrasse

BetURWrasse

Dysfunctional Veteran
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So from he test results my tank was looking better but still I lost all my chalices.

Only red is the Tin, which I have read could be caused by leaching in the PVC plumbing.

March 2016_1.jpg

March 2016_2.jpg

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 42.4%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 25 20.0%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 43 34.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%
Back