My ever-growing system

benny z

coral care giver
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thought I'd give an update to the system I built years ago that's been refreshed and given a bit of a rebirth.

I'll add more pics and details, but thought I'd post a quick video of the new skimmer at the heart of the system.

Watch in HD! :)

[video=youtube_share;In5VdbwnsnI]http://youtu.be/In5VdbwnsnI[/video]

OP
OP
benny z

benny z

coral care giver
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's a picture taken from the doorway into the fish room. What we have here besides the mess (really should've cleaned up a bit!) is the sump with semi-automated water change system, holding tanks, frag tank, large stainless dog bathing sink, the Bashsea custom 8-36" skimmer, media reactors hiding behind the skimmer, pumps, lights, etc.

The display is a 200g tank w/ starphire front panel and is built in-wall to the wall facing the finished side of the basement.

If anyone is interested in the specifics of anything, I can start compiling the equipment list, etc. There are three dedicated circuits feeding this room, light rails for the light rig (which will be changing soon), and everything except for the skimmer drains to a single filter sock for easy maintenance.

fishroom.jpg

OP
OP
benny z

benny z

coral care giver
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
alright, so here's the status of this tank. i set it up several years ago, let it run, had fun with it, and then took a break from the hobby. i got rid of the livestock, but kept water flowing in the system. about 2 months ago now i did a 100% water change, separating each tank from the system one at a time and then reattaching back to the system in order of fresh new water. during the break i ran no lights, so all the rock is colorless, however it is very established and full of non-photosynthetic micro life. i've been restocking the system with corals and fish, but haven't really put much of anything for corals in the display yet.

the rock is made into three towers which are vertical from the bottom of the tank to the top. the center tower wraps around the overflow, which is 4" off the back wall, and the other towers are also at least 4" off the back wall. the tunze wave box hides behind one of the end towers and fires down the back length of the tank unobstructed this way. this gives me a nice view from the back of the tank also, and gives the fish plenty of room to swim all the way around the towers. the tangs often circle the towers and it gives them lots of swimming room. detritus buildup is minimal with this rock configuration also, as the rock is only one layer thick except for near the base of the center tower which does reach clear to the front glass.

here's a current fts:

image.jpg

here it is from the back:

image.jpg

far right tower (front the back), which hides the wave box and a heater:

image.jpg

center tower which hides the overflow:

image.jpg

image.jpg

and the far end tower (left side from back):

image.jpg

now i need to get to stocking...!

ritter6788

Coral Fraud Private Eye
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Following! Looks like a great set up so far. I don't know how you kept it up and running without putting livestock in it!

OP
OP
benny z

benny z

coral care giver
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
lol! me either, looking back. got busy with life, had a baby...honestly teetered on tearing it all apart and selling everything more than once. glad i didn't. ;)

DomC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice setup, I'll be following this as well. Hopefully see you guys out here in Vegas for our frag swap.

OP
OP
benny z

benny z

coral care giver
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thanks. and heck yeah! i won't be there (family stuff - too much travel lately and more coming soon), but the two guys will be.

OP
OP
benny z

benny z

coral care giver
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
got the bubble magus dosing pump mounted...sorry about the cruddy cell phone pic. the pic is a little deceiving, as the drain line sits a good foot in front of the pump - no chance a leak from the piping could drip onto the unit. also, contrary to what it may look like by the "drips" on the piping...it is not leaking. this tank has been running for years and whatever crusty salt that is there is salt creep from long ago.

anyway - the 4-chamber dosing container is really slick! i'm currently just using two of the chambers for alk/calc, but have the option to add magnesium and another supplement should i so choose to do so in the future. each chamber has three hard lines plumbed - one for dosing output, one that goes down the center with an airstone at the bottom which you can use to mix whatever you're dosing if that is necessary, and then an air outlet line to let air escape if you are using the airline to mix. this is a unit built by a local acrylic builder who has built many tanks, frag trays, and other equipment for me over the years. he's actually currently building my new large frag table system also.

now for the bad news - the bubble magus dosing pump is faulty out of the box. it does not display the time and therefore does not dose. contacted the distributor and have another one being sent. *sigh*

photo_2.jpg

cheers!

OP
OP
benny z

benny z

coral care giver
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My wife got tired of the whole house smelling like skimmate, so I added this fancy waste collector with carbon for the air outlet. No more smell! And the collector has a float switch to shut down the skimmer pump in case of an overflow - however it is rated at 120w and I promptly blew the fuse with the PCX-100 pump lol!
y3egu7y5.jpg

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Great looking setup. Looking forward to seeing what goes in there.

Zoomer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like the tower aquascape! A little unconventional for sure but it has great visual appeal, especially being an in wall tank. Looking forward to watching your build (re)develop :)

OP
OP
benny z

benny z

coral care giver
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thanks guys!

so this week we've been "refreshing" the finished side of the basement in preparation for the *uhem* new addition (hey, i said this is ever-growing, right?!).

here's where we sit currently...this is the end of the basement opposite the stairs, where the tank is tucked into a nook with the fish room behind. we went with the same gray as the rest of our house for the walls and will paint the remaining white wall and half wall another color yet to be chosen.

image.jpg

green tape marks the spot.

image.jpg

OP
OP
benny z

benny z

coral care giver
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
got a new fish for the display tank!

peppermint.jpg

and before peta gets called...just in here as a quick inspection chamber after acclimation. :D

OP
OP
benny z

benny z

coral care giver
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks - agree. Local tank builder does great work! He even plumbed the overflow and return plumbing. Will have a cover on the overflow also.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1400359219.384680.jpg

Return plumbing goes up then back down - siphon breaks at the top, then penductors on loc-line on the display side moving water down below the frag trays.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 43 21.0%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.5%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 149 72.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 4.9%
Back