My experience with Red Sea's Reef Energy

RavePartyReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I've posted before some informative videos that caught my attention from Red Sea and their new line of reed supplement and test kits. I run a low nutrient system, with low bio load, high skimming and since I've been in the search for the best color results with a few sps I have in my tank, I thought would try the Reef Energy product they advertise mainly for low nutrient systems.
I started using it this week, and even though is early to tell any difference, I must say the pruduct especially the "B" supplement, seems very concentrated compared to "Fuel" from Seachem which I had tried before.
As usual with vitamin and amino suppl, the water coloration turns yellowish, but soon after the substance dissipates. With these 2 products however, the yellow coloration persisted for much longer, and even though I left my skimmer off as recommended for 30 min, I could see the coloration persist for a good 15-20min. I will try to post results as I am able to see notable differences, and also pictures as I am documenting as much as possible the overall health of the corals and system.
I will however reduce a bit the recommended dosage, to avoid any algae surprises with the suden rise in organics.
Here is a pic of the products and bellow the video in case some have not yet seen it.

image_zpsa8286300.jpg

Red Sea Reef Care - Coral Nutrition Program (episode 4/5) HD - YouTube

mike007

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been using there products now for about 8 months and my reef has never looked better. I have no algae problems and all my water parameters are excellent. I follow the complete coral nutrition program as they recommend. Used to have trouble maintaining ca levels not any more. I use very little supplements and my parameters are staying steady for weeks. Great stuff and i have used all the other name brand products .

robby2782

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Same here. Ditched the overpriced zeo products and couldn't be happier. Plus I save a fortune on supplements now. Hopefully there prices stay the same once demand goes up.

maharsreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Same here. Ditched the overpriced zeo products and couldn't be happier. Plus I save a fortune on supplements now. Hopefully there prices stay the same once demand goes up.
Yep, Same for me, ditched overpriced Zeovit. I have never looked back. Super happy with Redsea products, very easy to control Nitrates and phosphates. Now I can spend more money on coral. :) And my coral actually have real coral color, not that pastel look.

Last edited:
OP
OP
RavePartyReef

RavePartyReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What products are best in your opinion? I have not tried the colors a b c d because I was a bit concerned about the real need for them. After I do wc's every weekend, I usually like to dose some trace or anything that supplements the I2, K at least. Traces I know the new water will do, but would like to add a bit if possible. Any ideas of any brand that has a suppl with some of that?

robby2782

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For me, K isn't necessary to dose since I don't run zeo. Mine always stays consistent when I test it. All the others seem to get soaked up within a couple days. It makes me wonder how much gets pulled out from skimming and running carbon 24/7. Either way though, I like it better than anything else I've tried.

OP
OP
RavePartyReef

RavePartyReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tested for K the other day fust for curiosity and it came back normal. I guess K isn't needed to be dosed.
I also wonder what carbon and excessive skimming do to other important elements. I will ke adding the energy a and b, and see howit goes

OP
OP
RavePartyReef

RavePartyReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you guys that have good results, do you dose it as recommended, 2ml per 25 gals per day? I'm a bit skeptical with that amount of aminos a day...

robby2782

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do it daily and I've noticed nothing but positive results. I just increased the amount of carbon and bacteria I dose to offset the increase of nutrients.

OP
OP
RavePartyReef

RavePartyReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's interesting. I looked at their website and they state the A part should not add to unwanted algae growth because it should be absorbed by the coral tissue completely. So you add it at night, when all sps polyps are out?

robby2782

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Usually an hour before the lights are out. The color definitely shows up more since I quit using Zeovit.

maharsreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you guys that have good results, do you dose it as recommended, 2ml per 25 gals per day? I'm a bit skeptical with that amount of aminos a day...
Yes, I use full strength on the reef energy A and B. 30 ml of each every day in a 205 gal tank. It does not increase Na or P04 at all, as long as you use their N03p04 as recommended. Sometimes I skip a day. But I have no algae problems whatsoever.

OP
OP
RavePartyReef

RavePartyReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, I use full strength on the reef energy A and B. 30 ml of each every day in a 205 gal tank. It does not increase Na or P04 at all, as long as you use their N03p04 as recommended. Sometimes I skip a day. But I have no algae problems whatsoever.

Maharsreef, do you run a low nutrient system? What's your experience with NO3pO4? Do you also run GFO?

maharsreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maharsreef, do you run a low nutrient system? What's your experience with NO3pO4? Do you also run GFO?
Yes! I run low nutrient system. I follow Redsea's guidlines and have great success. I use a Ca X, so I don't use their Cal, alk, or mag. I test for Iron, Iodine, and add when needed. Potassium is not needed for me to add like I had to for Zeovit. Been using Redsea for a year and i am completely happy with results. :) No need to Run GFO, Its counter-productive.

Last edited:

robby2782

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's cool...do you have pics of your tank to share? Thanks

I don't know how to take clear pics without them appearing washed out blue, but I did take some iPhone pics of some frags that I cut a couple weeks ago under normal lighting.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1361029909.653881.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1361029923.578538.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1361029943.611316.jpg

The color shows up pretty good without any actinics here...

OP
OP
RavePartyReef

RavePartyReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know how to take clear pics without them appearing washed out blue, but I did take some iPhone pics of some frags that I cut a couple weeks ago under normal lighting.

The color shows up pretty good without any actinics here...

That looks great....as bright colored as it can IMo! Any pics of the tank?

Back