My First Major Die Off-Lessons Learned.

shollis2814

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, I unwittingly created a perfect storm with my tank. Hindsight is 20/20. I am sort of journaling, and sort of hoping someone else can learn. I almost decided to give up, but I have recently changed my mind.

1. I changed out my substrate. I documented it on here, and it went well. It resulted in some of the best rockwork I have done and I am very happy with the hardscape. Still, even with plenty of live rock (55 lbs in a 36 gallon tank), I was concerned I had upset my biological filtration.
  2. I have an Orbit Marine LED lighting system and two Ecoxotic Stunner strips in a light strip housing I cannibalized. Since I know my lights are a bit on the weak side, I decided to cover the inside of my homemade strip with reflective tape I had leftover from when I replaced my dryer ductwork under the house.
  3. I shifted my lighting schedule. I didn't increase/decrease intensity, but I shifted my photoperiod. What I did not take into account is the change of seasons and my tank sitting next to a north facing window (i.e. more intense indirect sunlight).
Those were three factors that, had I stayed on top of water changes and kept up with feedings, in and by themselves should not have been hugely detrimental. Then, life happened.

My wife was diagnosed with early cancer. The installation of the port and chemo happened within 24 hours of one another. This is not a sympathy post. She is going to be fine and we have a good community around us. The point is, for the next 10 days or so, I was in survival mode making sure kids got to school, I got things at work covered, and my wife was OK. If the tank wasn't blowing microbubbles from the sump evaporation, I didn't pay it much mind.

Then, when life settled down, I took a look at my tank. I almost decided to give up right then. GHS was everywhere, and I mean everywhere. Bubble algae on one frag and Caulerpa starting on another one. My GSP were overgrown, as well as some other small zoa frags. My small clove polyp frag had one of three polyps remaining. My Cyphastrea and cup corals had algae growing in the interpolyp areas. I was pretty discouraged. My wife encouraged me not to give up.

Four days ago I put a Sea Hare in my tank. He has since included me in his will and promised to name his firstborn after me in return for the smorgasbord of GHA I have provided him. Two days ago I unplugged the stunner strips and Orbits for a 24 hour blackout. I took a toothbrush to the affected frags, and reset my Orbit schedule to the default and then tweaked the acclimation program to run for 4-5 hours instead of 8 for a few days starting today. I also removed my older Purigen and put in some Phosban in my HOB. I dipped my smaller zoa frags in 1:1 tank water/peroxide dip.

When I turned the light on for a second this morning for a brief survey, I could see rock! A lot of the GHA has died back. Some of my smaller zoa frags have melted clean :(, but I can see the stalks of my blastomusa frag:). My Duncan and Frogspawn are ticked at me, but alive, as is my Hollywood Stunner, and my two Favia frags. Blastos seem ok. My largest zoa frag looks like it will recover, but I know I lost some cup corals, Cyphastrea, GSP, and assorted zoa frags.

So, we are sitting in the big room for chemo #2 and this afternoon I plan to get the toothbrush after the rocks and do a 30% water change. Our local reef club has talked about a 'tank buddy' that can help out with your tank when you are out of town, etc., and I know now I need to have one for things besides vacation.

So, this was 100% preventable if I would have not tried to handle everything myself and asked for help. I know exactly what I did wrong, and what I need to do to recover. I just want to say thanks to everyone. This has been one of the most incredible internet communities I have ever been a part of. Thank you for letting me record my failures as well as my successes.

Last edited:

Naiad

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would like to say you are by far not alone and thank you for sharing whst happened. We are always quick to share sucess but mistskes or just plain accidents we tend to hide. When I was first diagnosed with lupus it was hospital for test after test. When I finally got the time to look at my tank there was no rock. No coral. Nothing but wave after wave of green. I was too ashamed to ask for help to figure out what had gone wrong. I wish now that I had taken some pictures just to show people that it happens and it can be fixed. Don't be too ashamed to get help.

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 52 39.7%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 15 11.5%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 38 29.0%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 24 18.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back