My first reef tank

BlackCl0ud

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m brand new to the hobby and have a 10 gallon tank setup. Currently have 2 clowns and a skunk shrimp along with 2 nassarius snails, 2 Cerith, 2 red scarlet hermits. I have 1 green start polyp,1 mushroom, and 2 zoas that I added in about 2 weeks ago. I had some test strips on hand that I wanted to test my Alk but it’s showing it’s 40ppm. I read I could use baking soda to increase it but I also saw it causes a drop in p.h and I’m at the lower limit. Should I be worried with the alk level and how could I raise it?
My chemistry is :
Salinity: 1.024
Nitrate: 5ppm
Nitrite:0
Ammonia:0
Ph:7.8

Nate9292

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use Red Sea for my alk test and I don’t like it. I have a hard time seeing the color change cause it’s so light. It works, but I plan on buying a Hanna to replace it. Watch videos on different brands and see what will be easiest for you

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m brand new to the hobby and have a 10 gallon tank setup. Currently have 2 clowns and a skunk shrimp along with 2 nassarius snails, 2 Cerith, 2 red scarlet hermits. I have 1 green start polyp,1 mushroom, and 2 zoas that I added in about 2 weeks ago. I had some test strips on hand that I wanted to test my Alk but it’s showing it’s 40ppm. I read I could use baking soda to increase it but I also saw it causes a drop in p.h and I’m at the lower limit. Should I be worried with the alk level and how could I raise it?
My chemistry is :
Salinity: 1.024
Nitrate: 5ppm
Nitrite:0
Ammonia:0
Ph:7.8

This should help get an initial handle on the how and why of chemistry issues:

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 26 15.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 24 14.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 96 56.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 7.1%
Back