My fish suck, looking for some other reefers opinion.

drunkn_reefr

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Of corse my fish don’t suck and if they did it would be my fault because I picked them. I have a 40 gallon breeder with rock and predominately soft coral with a couple lps and a couple sps(Beginner stuff). My fish community is horrible. I have two clown fish, one fire fish(used to be two but one jumped through my screen top), a yellow watchmen goby, and a Banggai cardinal fish.

The cardinal (call it Banggai) is and has always been, terrified all the time. More timid than my fire fish and Banggai goes crazy every time someone walks by the tank. The Banggai also used to hide behind a rock on the left side of the tank that had been dropping Kenya tree so I got rid of the rock and it’s even more skittish now. I added more rock so they would have plenty of places to hide.

The Banggai is now currently hanging out where my clowns hang out on the left corner of the tank and is glued to a colony of hammer coral. It’s actually got 3 eyes/heads constantly retracted because Banggai is basically stuck to it. So now all my fish are on one side of the tank, if you walk up to my tank you would think I don’t have any fish until you take a closer look, and they are all fighting because of the Banggai being so skittish(and aggressive). Hoping someone has had some experience with a similar situation and what they did to correct it.

Should I re-home the Banggai and add a couple less timid fish ? Should I give the Banggai a mate ? Might be a hard question to answer, I’m just frustrated with the community I have created. Just an fyi, I had a wrasse that made the tank community awesome except it did not get along with my Banggai.

lulubap

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
cardinals love to be in groups, so i would consider getting some more since you have a sizable amount of space

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cardinals love to fight each other until you are left with one anyway. IME, don't buy another banggai.
You need a dither fish. One that is always out and about and they will make the others feel comfortable to be out.
Small anthias or blenny, or similar.

TheReefDiary

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Of corse my fish don’t suck and if they did it would be my fault because I picked them. I have a 40 gallon breeder with rock and predominately soft coral with a couple lps and a couple sps(Beginner stuff). My fish community is horrible. I have two clown fish, one fire fish(used to be two but one jumped through my screen top), a yellow watchmen goby, and a Banggai cardinal fish.

The cardinal (call it Banggai) is and has always been, terrified all the time. More timid than my fire fish and Banggai goes crazy every time someone walks by the tank. The Banggai also used to hide behind a rock on the left side of the tank that had been dropping Kenya tree so I got rid of the rock and it’s even more skittish now. I added more rock so they would have plenty of places to hide.

The Banggai is now currently hanging out where my clowns hang out on the left corner of the tank and is glued to a colony of hammer coral. It’s actually got 3 eyes/heads constantly retracted because Banggai is basically stuck to it. So now all my fish are on one side of the tank, if you walk up to my tank you would think I don’t have any fish until you take a closer look, and they are all fighting because of the Banggai being so skittish(and aggressive). Hoping someone has had some experience with a similar situation and what they did to correct it.

Should I re-home the Banggai and add a couple less timid fish ? Should I give the Banggai a mate ? Might be a hard question to answer, I’m just frustrated with the community I have created. Just an fyi, I had a wrasse that made the tank community awesome except it did not get along with my Banggai.
I have a 40g. my current stock list (which is still growing) is: 2 clowns, six line wrasse, starry blenny and longnose hawkfish. everyone gets along swimmingly and the tank is active. I introduced clowns first then the six line. knowing the six line can be a bit aggressive I got slightly larger starry blenny when I introduced him and the a slightly larger hawkfish when I added him.

no issues whatsoever. everyone gets along.

OP
OP
D

drunkn_reefr

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for everyone’s input on this. I knew there would be different opinions on the matter and actually that’s why this hobby is so cool. I would love to add another Banggai in there and see if things change. (And I may go that route) However my gut tells me it won’t get better. But what the heck do I know. I agree I have to get a fish in there to make the others feel safe.

Thanks I’ll reach back out to let you know how I make out.

OP
OP
D

drunkn_reefr

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 40g. my current stock list (which is still growing) is: 2 clowns, six line wrasse, starry blenny and longnose hawkfish. everyone gets along swimmingly and the tank is active. I introduced clowns first then the six line. knowing the six line can be a bit aggressive I got slightly larger starry blenny when I introduced him and the a slightly larger hawkfish when I added him.

no issues whatsoever. everyone gets along.
I like that group and I’m surprised they’re all getting along. Hawkfish is on the top of my list.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Cardinals go to war. In my experience- one is best. Tried the three and ended with one
Anthias, firefish and chromis If healthy offer schooling and color.
Dwarf angel although reef caution colorful and out in the open. I have three and they could not care less about coral

TheReefDiary

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cardinals love to fight each other until you are left with one anyway. IME, don't buy another banggai.
You need a dither fish. One that is always out and about and they will make the others feel comfortable to be out.
I like that group and I’m surprised they’re all getting along. Hawkfish is on the top of my list.
they all occupy different regions of the tank minus the blenny and hawkfish since they're both perching fish. but they have no issues. when I introduced the hawkfish nobody even really cared he was there, almost like he was in the tank the whole time.

BlueFynn_Ian

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 5 cardinals in 150 "reef" that started as a small group and then paired off into two couples and a bachelor after some very intense battling. Now they just stay spread out throughout the tank and all is well.

I wouldn't add another Banggai. Could work if you did, but probably wouldn't and then you've just added to your issues.

Couple options I would consider:
1. Re-home the Banggai, maybe someone else can have it in a group and it can pair off with its soulmate.
2. Keep your little dysfunctional fellow and try to help make the tank more comfortable for it.

Either way, I would look at adding a more confident fish or two that will help draw the others out into the tank. A blenny or anthias as others have said would help with that.

OP
OP
D

drunkn_reefr

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love blennies but my yellow watchman goby is super territorial. I’d imagine the tanks not big enough for the both of them.

Something I should have mentioned in the beginning, I added an all in one kit for filtration that takes up almost of 10 gallons of water volume on my 40 gallon. So my tanks closer to a 30 gallon. If I could go back in time I would have drilled it out and made a sump. But I’m getting off topic.

I am thinking of picking up a wrasse. Love the six line but don’t want to possibly make things worse if I get a mean one. I like Anthias as well but think the tanks a little small for one.

BlueFynn_Ian

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love blennies but my yellow watchman goby is super territorial. I’d imagine the tanks not big enough for the both of them.

Something I should have mentioned in the beginning, I added an all in one kit for filtration that takes up almost of 10 gallons of water volume on my 40 gallon. So my tanks closer to a 30 gallon. If I could go back in time I would have drilled it out and made a sump. But I’m getting off topic.

I am thinking of picking up a wrasse. Love the six line but don’t want to possibly make things worse if I get a mean one. I like Anthias as well but think the tanks a little small for one.
Look at a Pink Streaked Pygmy wrasse, one of my favorites in my tank and won't turn into the devil like most sixlines tend to do. Very similar in appearance as well.

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Clean the rock and put it back. Cardinal gets its hiding spot back, hammer is happy, fish are spread out again. Not sure about adding a mate, but my single banggaii acted the same. Super shy, decent sized fish and you'd barely know it was there most of the time.

I wouldn't recommend a pink streaked wrasse if you are trying to avoid timid fish.

Nemo&Friends

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Green chromis are out all the time. Buy a pre quarantine one to make sure it is healthy and you would have a very active fish who would help getting the other fish out. Also make sure you have hiding places all over the tank so your fish do not have to hide only in one corner.

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This isn't my experience at all. Bangaii do great in fmf groups all the time.

OP
OP
D

drunkn_reefr

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Green chromis are out all the time. Buy a pre quarantine one to make sure it is healthy and you would have a very active fish who would help getting the other fish out. Also make sure you have hiding places all over the tank so your fish do not have to hide only in one

OP
OP
D

drunkn_reefr

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Clean the rock and put it back. Cardinal gets its hiding spot back, hammer is happy, fish are spread out again. Not sure about adding a mate, but my single banggaii acted the same. Super shy, decent sized fish and you'd barely know it was there most of the time.

I wouldn't recommend a pink streaked wrasse if you are trying to avoid timid fish.

I wouldn't recommend a pink streaked wrasse if you are trying to avoid timid fish. I already gave the rock away and it was infested with Kenya tree. Didn’t want it coming back in the tank after working so had to remove it.
I gave the rock away. The rock was covered with Kenya tree and I worked hard to get it out. I put plenty of rock to replace it. (More than I took out). Haven’t found the dither fish yet but I’m in no rush. None of the fish are being bullied, it’s more of a “me” issue. I’m going to be patient and wait for the right fish. Thanks for the input.

Cthulukelele

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I gave the rock away. The rock was covered with Kenya tree and I worked hard to get it out. I put plenty of rock to replace it. (More than I took out). Haven’t found the dither fish yet but I’m in no rush. None of the fish are being bullied, it’s more of a “me” issue. I’m going to be patient and wait for the right fish. Thanks for the input.
This is a good reefer attitude. Slow and steady wins the race

killer2001

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally, I would add another Banggai and a fish that actively swims in the water column. I would introduce these both at the same time to alleviate one fish from getting picked on.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 48 21.1%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 1.8%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 164 72.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 4.8%
Back